Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 03:59 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Here is another reason why these small high performance cars do not sell - insurance. New drivers, who might be interested in these cars, pay huge amounts for insurance of non-high performance cars. Many would be hard pressed to pay a premium for the car and a premium for the insurance. If they can afford it maybe they are looking at the next class up or buying a used car that better fits their needs and desires.
^ Yup. I got my S2000 when I was 23, and my insurance worked out to about $350/mo in CA, nearly as much as the payment itself After I passed 25 it went down, and then it went down again and again, till the last policy I had which was about $125/mo for full coverage (with a couple speeding tickets, of course).

When I was in my teens and up till the S2000, I drove a few different hot hatches/sedans: a Saab 900 SPG hatchback (still insured like a normal Saab), a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 (still insured like a 10-year old Mitsubishi sedan), a mk4 Jetta 2.slow and then a mk4 Jetta VR6 (both had the same insurance costs), the latter of which I had heavily modified to get some okay speed out of of while not having to pay what I would've paid had I gotten the S2000 I so wanted. I could have bought it when I was 19 but the insurance was nearly $500/mo in LA, back in '02

Most of the guys up till now who were at the point where they could afford a fast car and the insurance along with it were raised on pony and muscle cars, so that's what they went for. As the Playstation Generation cracks 30, I think you'll see more demand for hot hatches and tuner cars that hark back to the built CRX's and S13's that ruled the scene when they were teenagers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 05:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I don't think there is much demand for the price.
For less money you could just soup up a base. If that is what you really wanted.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:51 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Porsche comes to mind as does the Honda 2000... just look around at the 2 seaters and you will find something.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:23 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Whenever the Detroit Three contemplated building a so-called 'pocket rocket', they usually ruined it by mis-matching the weight of the car to the capabilities of the chassis while being hamstrung by CAFE standards which essentially resulted in said car being DOA the instant it hit the marketplace, such as the mid-80s Fiero which was a dog when compared to an 83 Prelude (R&T declared it to be the best $10K sports car ever) or another pocket rocket from the Orient.

At least the Detroit Three are furiously trying to make cars to appeal to that segment, although the insurance would be pretty hefty for someone in their twenties.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:57 PM

226 posts, read 319,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
What's the point of building a loser? That's la-who-ser!!

0-100mph Shelby Cobra - YouTube

427 Cobra test run - YouTube

Bad Boys carchase - YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Whenever the Detroit Three contemplated building a so-called 'pocket rocket', they usually ruined it by mis-matching the weight of the car to the capabilities of the chassis while being hamstrung by CAFE standards which essentially resulted in said car being DOA the instant it hit the marketplace, such as the mid-80s Fiero which was a dog when compared to an 83 Prelude (R&T declared it to be the best $10K sports car ever) or another pocket rocket from the Orient.

At least the Detroit Three are furiously trying to make cars to appeal to that segment, although the insurance would be pretty hefty for someone in their twenties.
^^^ Nothing was out of place.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:05 PM

HEY LITTLE COBRA - The Rip Chords - YouTube

Old 09-13-2014, 06:09 PM

A 427 cube big block V8 in such a small car crossed the threshold of being "sporty" "fun" "fast" to ScArY FAST!!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:14 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I've driven both big and small block Cobras and the original GT40 along with Panteras and even a Lola.

They are thrilling to drive... as long as creature comfort and other normal amenities are not counted.

Just putting the side curtains up and trying to keep the front windshield fog free is a challenge.

My uncle raced in the 60's and early 70's and I was able to tag along... good memories.

Have to remember cars like this could be bought around 20k +/- back in the day...

Old 09-14-2014, 01:23 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Most of the guys up till now who were at the point where they could afford a fast car and the insurance along with it were raised on pony and muscle cars, so that's what they went for. As the Playstation Generation cracks 30, I think you'll see more demand for hot hatches and tuner cars that hark back to the built CRX's and S13's that ruled the scene when they were teenagers.
That's possible, one a countervailing thought is that the "Playstation generation" basically has no interest in cars, save as mundane transportation and a mobile infotainment system.

I'm a Gen-Xer, and was raised on Japanese economy cars, back when they were RWD and carbureted. I'd love to see a modern big-block Cobra, or more broadly a small and aesthetically unpretentious car with a ludicrous excess of power. But a mixture of regulatory limitations and market-realities precludes this. My daily driver is an NA Miata, which checks the boxes for being small, Spartan, nimble and unpretentious - but it woefully lacks power.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:21 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That's possible, one a countervailing thought is that the "Playstation generation" basically has no interest in cars, save as mundane transportation and a mobile infotainment system.

I'm a Gen-Xer, and was raised on Japanese economy cars, back when they were RWD and carbureted. I'd love to see a modern big-block Cobra, or more broadly a small and aesthetically unpretentious car with a ludicrous excess of power. But a mixture of regulatory limitations and market-realities precludes this. My daily driver is an NA Miata, which checks the boxes for being small, Spartan, nimble and unpretentious - but it woefully lacks power.
These days you can take an "unpretentious" car and build it. Instead of carrying a payment on a newer car, take proven older car and build the motor.

You say you have a Miata, I'm sure you've heard of "Minivettes". It'll take some work and money, but better than waiting around hoping a car manufacturer will make exactly what you're dreaming of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive