Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Looking for a luxurious but RELIABLE suv or wagon.

Current have a Volvo that I love, but it's getting up there in age (19 years old now). Every car that I seem to look at just doesn't have that nice "thunk" feeling when you close the door, has cheap plasticy leather (ie Toyota Venza) and the quality just doesn't seem to be there.

• I like the Range Rover series, but the reliability is horrendous I've heard.
  • Absolutely love newer the Cadillac CTS sports wagons, but I hear they are having some issues when they get older as well. Also the wagons are hard to find.
  • Looking for a used 2008+ Volvo V70, but there don't really seem to be ANY of them locally, the closest one to be is 1,000 miles away on Cars.com! Also not sure how that vintage of Volvo is mechanically.
  • Also looking at Acura MDX's, Acuras are fairly decent cars this may be the winner eventually if I can't find a Volvo.
  • Haven't looked at a Mercedes wagon (E series) yet, how are they?
  • BMWs are out, way too many issues long term
  • Audis/VWs are out, no way worse than BMW! Yes I have owned VW in the past.
  • Infinity FX, not quite sold on it, maybe a tad small. My wife loves it however. The EX is too small.
I buy cars for the long term, so with that in mind, what are some suggestions? I know Lexus makes some good cars but they also seem to be cheapening out in the interior (ie going Toyota). Also they really hold their value, the appeal of a used luxury car to me is buying a nice high end car for about what you'd get into a new mid-level car for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 09:53 PM

520 posts, read 775,494 times
Your thread caught my eye because I just had the same dilemma.

You mentioned a lot of the usual suspects, but what about a Volvo XC90? I just bought a used one today, I'm picking it up on Monday. While I am worried about maintenance costs, it was a perfect fit and price for what I was looking for. The resale prices are pretty reasonable.

Before settling on the XC90, I almost bought a less expensive Saab 9-7x, which is really a Trailblazer/Envoy in drag. The junk that came out of the GM parts bin was apparent on a brief test drive. I felt the same way when I looked at Cadillacs, specifically the SRX.

If your budget allows, I wouldn't rule out BMW. I've owned six of them. Maybe I've been lucky, but I have had only very minor issues. My daily driver is a 535i with 115,000 miles. I bought it used and have put on plenty of miles. I've changed the oil, battery and tires. That's it. Before that, I took an X5 over 100,000 miles with no problems. If the resale values weren't so high, I would have bought another X5. If you haven't already, take a Bimmer for a (long) drive. I still think they have few peers in that department.

The MDX is a really nice car. I had the pen in hand ready to buy one a few years back. I just couldn't pay all of that money for a Honda Accord Wagon with more ground clearance. I bought the X5 the next day for a lot more money but with no regrets. The MDX is nice, but it's also boring and bland. So is the Infiniti.

E class wagons are awesome. I've never owned a Benz, so can't really comment beyond that.

Let us know what you decide on.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:26 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
MDX and Lexus. Toyota makes the Land Cruiser.
Grand Cherokee are quite luxurious, buy one only if you have a friend who can fix them.

Last edited by oberon_1; 09-12-2014 at 10:34 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 11:24 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
MDX or Lexus, maybe Infiniti, all because you want reliability. Anything else in the luxury lineup, you are probably better off leasing them and returning them in 3 years/before they run out of warranty.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:35 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,758 times
You want quality, class, reliability, and resale value.

From what you described. In this order.
2010+ lexus rx350 safe bet. I set my dad in one, I set my ex inlaw in one.
2010+ acura mdx- no it's not an accord with ground clearance.

I also like the bmw x5.. But I didn't recommend it due to reliability... Some owner might have a great bmw, but you ll jus never know with a used German car.

Notice I didn't recommend anything else.
If you wanted to venture out, then good luck.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Volvo XC90 is a good model without too many issues.
The Lexus RX is a good choice.
Also the Lexus GX.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:16 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Lexus are OK but resale is sky high. They don't really take a depreciation hit like most luxury cars.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:56 PM

520 posts, read 775,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Lexus are OK but resale is sky high. They don't really take a depreciation hit like most luxury cars.
This is very true. Not only with Lexus but with most brands. It appears that the reliability, or at least the perceived reliability, is priced in. Do you want a 4 year old European car with 50,000 miles or a six year old Japanese car with 80,000 miles? They will probably have about the same relative resale value. What's more important for reliability; the brand, country of origin, age or mileage?

At some point, getting a used car is kind of like getting a dog. The breed/pedigree/make/model are relevant in the aggregate. However, the experience you have with the car/dog that you take home comes down to the individual. Some pit bulls are sweethearts, some Lexus' are lemons.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
If you do not need a large wagon, you could also consider an Acura TSX. They were not produced in huge numbers, but are very good vehicles, but do retain their value. The MDX is also a very good consideration, I agree, as is the Lexus RX, but the RX has very vanilla handling, and no third-row, if that is a consideration. The XC70 is also a good consideration, especially the more recent models as they are on the S80 chassis, which is very reliable. Since the V70 went off sale in the US a few years ago, there are fewer to be found, especially as most opted for the XC70, whether or not AWD was a necessity, but it was the increased ride height, as the V70 did also have an AWD model. Mercedes wagons are good, but it is still best to stick with the 6-cylinder and RWD for the fewest long-term issues, and lower maintenance cost (for a Benz), unless you absolutely need AWD for the winter.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-14-2014, 10:28 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Acura MDX is a fantastic vehicle, you really can't go wrong with one.

Otherwise, you might want to try the Infiniti QX56. It's bigger than the FX/EX and much more practical.

Also check out the 2015 GMC Yukon Denali/Denali XL. They're beautiful cars. You might be able to pickup the outgoing 2014 model year at a deep discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive