Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:56 PM

226 posts, read 319,815 times

Advertisements

I've never found what I wanted on the lot yet. I had to custom order them. I'm also a mechanic and want a specific rear-end gear, limited slip, biggest engine, extra alternator, trans cooler, rubber floor, specific color and various other options.

I'll never find that off the lot. So yes, I am very picky and need to order mine special. I also know I have excellent taste. The last two trucks drew all kinds of attention when they drove them up from the back to the showroom for me to sign off on them.

Well, you ain't gonna find "that" off the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
I LIKE picky car shoppers - they will not buy cars/trucks which have defects like a broken windshield, broken side mirror, stereo hanging out by the wires and not working, etc.

And they will not buy cars which have things not working like heater/AC fan not working, power window not working, etc.

I can get these cars real cheap because no one wants them, then go to the wrecking yard and get cheap replacement parts - and presto! Car/truck in good shape for a couple of hundred dollars (me doing the work of course).

(I've had several windshields replaced for $200 or $300 - older cars/trucks.)

Old 09-15-2014, 10:35 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
I'm extremely extremely picky.
But that's why I buy brand new and special order it.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
I'm pickier about some things than others.

I have a list that I work from. I bought a "new to me" truck last week. I design a sheet similiar to the below:

Make/Model of vehicles I like: (all must be crew cab. No long wheel base)
Ford F-150 (5.4L only) or F-250 (diesel only)
GMC Sierra 1500 (6.0L only) or 2500 (diesel only)
Dodge Ram 2500 (diesel only)

Color: White, Silver, or Maroon

Price range - $12k-$16k

Mileage: Less than 150k miles

Must haves:
Leather (prefer gray or black but will consider any)
Automatic transmission
Center console shifter (no column shifter)
Good (matching) tires
Maintenance up to date
Premium sound
Receiver hitch

Wants:
Navigation
Bed cover
Towing package
tinted windows
heated seats

Then I go down the list and check items off. If something that I require is missing I pass. If it's on the wants list, I will add it later if the price is right. I found a 2006 F150 Lariat that met every requirement I had last week. It even had a towing package and bedcover from my wants list. I added nav this weekend (already had a head unit).

This is how I typically do it. You might as well get as close to what you want as possible if you are spending this much money.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:23 PM

451 posts, read 562,852 times
Very picky. And I should be.
Given the fact that I would be purchasing/leasing a $xx,xxx valued machine that I will be driving for the next 2-3 yrs (lease) or 5-10 years (buy), I think I should be.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:32 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
There is nothing wrong with being picky I know I am. you are paying a lot of money so you should get what you want if possible. It used to drive me nuts when I sold cars and a customer would come in looking for say a bright red car with a second choice of blue and the manager would get mad at me because I couldn't sell that same buyer the brown car.
If you want red you should get red.

Be picky but be realistic too, it is good to be a bit flexible.
Good luck

Old 09-15-2014, 12:34 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
It would be dumb not to be picky about something you are spending tens of thousands of dollars on. But mileage of 0-160k doesn't sound picky to me. There is no way I'd consider a car with 160k on it, or even 100k. Price range goes without saying.

My next vehicle has to be an SUV. I made a mistake buying a crossover in 2013 and I regret it. I also HATE those block colors that they are putting in some cars. To me it is ugly. It will have something like tan and charcoal gray. Those two colors should not be together! And then they will have reddish interior or something like that with it; either that or light tan or black. BLECH!

Old 09-15-2014, 12:45 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
I spent about 1.5 years searching for my last car. I was a little flexible on ext color (Silver, black, or blue were acceptable) but interior color HAD to be black, I also wanted the full carbon fiber interior package, navigation/Bose, and white faced gauges. Mileage couldn't be over 50k, no accidents, and wanted the "X50 package", a performance package that cost 17k new from the factory.

Long story short... I simply had to give up on most of what I wanted and upgrade it myself. I did get the ext and interior color I wanted, did get the "half" carbon fiber package, had to add the additional pieces myself, under 50k, and the navigation/Bose sound system. But I had to switch the gauge cluster out, and upgrade the turbos and intercoolers myself.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:01 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It would be dumb not to be picky about something you are spending tens of thousands of dollars on. But mileage of 0-160k doesn't sound picky to me. There is no way I'd consider a car with 160k on it, or even 100k. Price range goes without saying.

My next vehicle has to be an SUV. I made a mistake buying a crossover in 2013 and I regret it. I also HATE those block colors that they are putting in some cars. To me it is ugly. It will have something like tan and charcoal gray. Those two colors should not be together! And then they will have reddish interior or something like that with it; either that or light tan or black. BLECH!

100k miles is barely broken in on vehicles nowadays......

Old 09-15-2014, 01:08 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
100k miles is barely broken in on vehicles nowadays......
With 100k worth of someone else's farts in the seat cushions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive