Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:22 PM

210 posts, read 246,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
It's mostly younger people 30 and under thinking people are watching them so they race. They feel like celebrities in their econoboxes. I laugh when i see a Honda doing 80 mph+ racing down the road. I think who cares you have a new econobox and millions of other people have that same exact car...WHO CARES.

Fly by me in a Bentley GT or a RR Phantom or some car worth more then a house and MAYBE i will look.

It's also people who stay up all night and can't get out of bed in the morning so they race to work.

I drive the same way as the OP calm,cool and collective. Sit back in my comfy seats in my tahoe and get to my destination stress free. I drive the speed limit+ about 7-8 miles an hour.

If people fly by me who cares I always see those idiots sitting next to me at a red light anyway.
I will never understand why it matters how fast someone is going in whichever car they're in...

The whole meeting them at the next light only truly applies if they hit a snag i.e traffic up ahead that couldn't be seen or someone else who is going a certain speed that they can't get around before the light turns red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 05:27 PM

210 posts, read 246,065 times
After reading this thread I see why driving has become stressful for me in the morning and why I've contemplated on adding vodka into my coffee when I get to work....The mix of the people that inch up on a light, with the ones not paying attention, and the ones trying to police my speed has driven me just about over the edge.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:36 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,606 times
From what I've seen there seems to be a link between the rabbitjumpers, tailgaters, red light to red light racers and the people who use their phone and drive.

Guess what the correlation is? Exactly, BAD DRIVERS!

Old 09-15-2014, 05:46 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayla2go View Post
I will never understand why it matters how fast someone is going in whichever car they're in...

The whole meeting them at the next light only truly applies if they hit a snag i.e traffic up ahead that couldn't be seen or someone else who is going a certain speed that they can't get around before the light turns red.
Unfortunately not at all true. I just induced squirrel behavior in a minivan on my way home because I wouldn't keep my foot planted on the go pedal until I actually had to jam on the brakes. It's not like I'm driving a tall vehicle that said driver could not see over to ascertain that traffic was all stopped at the red light a thousand feet or so in front of me. None of this stopped him from cutting a car off on my right, accelerating rapidly, getting in front of me to race up to the line of stopped cars and slam on his brakes at the stop light. Since I actually look ahead, I'd noticed that there were about 10 cars in the my lane and only about four in the lane next to me. After he'd finished his squirrel behavior and the car he'd cut off had passed me, I switched lanes and coasted on by him to the line of stopped cars. I never saw him again (beat up minivan with lots of body damage, so it was pretty distinctive). Perhaps he was making a left turn a few intersections later. Perhaps he just never caught back up.

I'd very much prefer not to have to share the road with reckless drivers, but that's unfortunately just how it is. Also, the Prius does seem to be better in inducing stupid driving than my previous car was. It's not that I drive any differently. I've always coasted to lines of stopped cars rather than trying to waste as much gas and change brake pads as frequently as I possibly could. It always annoys a percentage of drivers, but the induced reaction is noticeably different.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-15-2014 at 05:55 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I'm a safe driver and haven't had a ticket in over 40 years, but I have one weakness...........I hate when someone leaves a light faster than me. In fact, if I sense we are going to have a little contest, I slide my right foot over to the gas and put my left foot on the brake pedal.

My Son will say "You realize that was a minivan you just blew off, don't you ?" Too many years of street racing and drag racing, I guess.

Don

Old 09-15-2014, 07:17 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm a safe driver and haven't had a ticket in over 40 years, but I have one weakness...........I hate when someone leaves a light faster than me. In fact, if I sense we are going to have a little contest, I slide my right foot over to the gas and put my left foot on the brake pedal.

My Son will say "You realize that was a minivan you just blew off, don't you ?" Too many years of street racing and drag racing, I guess.

Don
Heh heh, hope to see you on the roads someday!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I'm really fed up with driving these days. It's as if driving is some kind of race.

The way I drive is very relaxed driving style which allows me to get very good MPG from my car. I am very gentle on the throttle and I coast for the majority of anticipating what is ahead.

Seriously everyone here drives with such a high stress style of driving.

Not only am i easy on my engine, brakes, transmission etc I also get excellent MPG with my relaxed driving style.

I bet you brown bag your lunch and watch/listen to PBS TV/radio.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
I laugh at people who take off at a red light like they are at nascar, only to get stopped by another red light. LOL. These people are idiots. They probably get their licenses from the $5 bin at walmart.
you think they pay that much for them? i always thought they got them from a crackerjack box.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:28 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I'm really fed up with driving these days. It's as if driving is some kind of race.

The way I drive is very relaxed driving style which allows me to get very good MPG from my car. I am very gentle on the throttle and I coast for the majority of anticipating what is ahead.

Seriously everyone here drives with such a high stress style of driving.

Not only am i easy on my engine, brakes, transmission etc I also get excellent MPG with my relaxed driving style.
You are definitely in the wrong place to try and drive the way you described. I drive in LA, Miami, etc., and find that everyone drives aggressively.
However if you go to small towns in NC, SC, even in FL people drive much more defensively and even passively. I find myself impatient until I realize that they are going at a different pace in life, and I am the visitor. So I try to adapt, even if it is only for a week. Yet when I get back to a big city, I get back to the more aggressive driving style.

So you will either need to change cities, or adapt and become more like the other drivers, otherwise you will attract unwanted attention.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive