Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 AM

293 posts, read 309,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Just stop feeding the troll or put him on ignore. Mods will probably ban him soon anyway.
OK, will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:19 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
Listen to this guy lecturing me on how "yielding to the through drivers" means to speed up. LMAO
When they talk of "yielding the right-of-way," they specifically mean "stay out of the way." A yield sign is neither telling you to slow down nor speed up; it is telling you to figure out whatever you need to do so you don't get in the way of others. That might mean you need to slow down; it might mean you need to stop; and yes, there are times when stepping on the gas and accelerating out of the way is your safest bet. At a freeway on-ramp, speeding up is most often the safest option, but it always depends on the situation around you, and the yield sign is reminding you to take the time to figure out what that safest option is.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:00 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,012 times
Didn't read much of this bickering, but seems like self driving cars may be a good solution.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:28 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
Boy, you sure stirred up the pot on this one d2!

I have to agree with the general premise due to the clueless drivers in Houston that really should not be on the roads IMO. People pull out in front of you or "merge" into your lane, but then they do not speed up. So we have to slow down to accommodate these drivers. It does irk me too. I for one will not get in front of another driver 99% of the time unless I know I can speed up to at least the speed that the person is going before they get on my tail. It is just common courtesy IMO to not inconvenience others around me. Now there are some entrance ramps where you may not have a choice and you just pick the best opening you can find and hope the person behind you understands. The I-45 S entrance from Allen Parkway is one of them. The entrance ramp curves around and throws you into the left lane of the 60mph freeway with about 150 feet to merge. And there is often a stopped car at the end of the ramp! AAAKKKK!!

Oh well Dennis, I guess we need to take some valium on our drives everyday, huh?

Old 09-17-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
When they talk of "yielding the right-of-way," they specifically mean "stay out of the way." A yield sign is neither telling you to slow down nor speed up; it is telling you to figure out whatever you need to do so you don't get in the way of others. That might mean you need to slow down; it might mean you need to stop; and yes, there are times when stepping on the gas and accelerating out of the way is your safest bet. At a freeway on-ramp, speeding up is most often the safest option, but it always depends on the situation around you, and the yield sign is reminding you to take the time to figure out what that safest option is.
I hate to break to this to you, but "yield" never means "to speed up."

Old 09-17-2014, 10:41 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
Quote:
Second paragraph.
When nearing an intersection marked with a yield right of way you are required to

And a basic drivers ed refresher...
How to Merge Onto the Highway Without Crashing: 9 Steps

Take notes. We will quiz you later.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Second paragraph.
When nearing an intersection marked with a yield right of way you are required to

And a basic drivers ed refresher...
How to Merge Onto the Highway Without Crashing: 9 Steps

Take notes. We will quiz you later.
Ha ha, who knew a highway was an intersection? Is one of the things you're required to do "speed up faster than 60 mph?" This guy is great.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:

Hate to break this to you, but the accelerator pedal is NOT your goddamn enemy. Why are you so scared of it???? How ****ing hard is it to simply speed up to the flow of traffic before trying to merge? You already don't know what a suggested speed is, and you don't get the concept of merge lanes, AND you really don't know the laws. And you're the on chiding others for not knowing how to drive? What a ****ing laugh that is.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Hate to break this to you, but the accelerator pedal is NOT your goddamn enemy. Why are you so scared of it???? How ****ing hard is it to simply speed up to the flow of traffic before trying to merge? You already don't know what a suggested speed is, and you don't get the concept of merge lanes, AND you really don't know the laws. And you're the on chiding others for not knowing how to drive? What a ****ing laugh that is.
Uh oh, it's one of the guys who says that driving at the posted speeds is endangering people and that a yield sign means speed up.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:26 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
A yield sign never means anything more than "stay out of the way." Use your own judgment on the best way to comply with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive