Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:31 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Hate to break this to you, but the accelerator pedal is NOT your goddamn enemy. Why are you so scared of it???? How ****ing hard is it to simply speed up to the flow of traffic before trying to merge? You already don't know what a suggested speed is, and you don't get the concept of merge lanes, AND you really don't know the laws. And you're the on chiding others for not knowing how to drive? What a ****ing laugh that is.
He's just stirring the pot at this point, looking for a reaction.
He's been proven wrong so many times in this thread, it would be impossible for even a monkey to not realize that. With no ground left to stand on, he has resorted to trolling.
I say just report him and let the mods take care of it.
Hopefully no one reading this thread is taking his posts seriously or we are all in trouble out there on the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM

293 posts, read 309,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
A yield sign never means anything more than "stay out of the way." Use your own judgment on the best way to comply with that.
I invite you to go to your local DMV and state that this is your belief and see what they do with your driver's license.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:37 AM

293 posts, read 309,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
He's just stirring the pot at this point, looking for a reaction.
He's been proven wrong so many times in this thread, it would be impossible for even a monkey to not realize that. With no ground left to stand on, he has resorted to trolling.
I say just report him and let the mods take care of it.
Hopefully no one reading this thread is taking his posts seriously or we are all in trouble out there on the roads.
That's right, this is the guy who:

a) In the OP noted that people merging onto a highway driving at 60 mph were going too slowly. So slowly, in fact, that he was scared for his life.

b) Later said that posted speeds on on-ramps were just suggestions and, actually, driving at those speeds was NOT suggested because they would endanger people's lives. In other words, the speeds are posted to tell you what speeds to NOT drive at.

c) Later said that yield signs mean "to speed up."

Old 09-17-2014, 11:43 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Yield and Merge are two different things.

Yield means its okay to stop.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9670...XypT7PtHNA!2e0

One of those rare freeway ramps with a yield sign, because there is no room to speed up, technically it is okay to stop there..

Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yield and Merge are two different things.

Yield means its okay to stop.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9670...XypT7PtHNA!2e0

One of those rare freeway ramps with a yield sign, because there is no room to speed up, technically it is okay to stop there..
Exactly... And stop only if you HAVE to.
Where are these onramps with speed limits, by the way?
I live in FL. The only time the ramp has a suggested speed is if it involves a sharp turn. Once the straightaway begins, there really is no posted speed sign, and the suggested speed is, in fact, the speed of the freeway.
IIRC, when learning how to drive, people are actually taught to match the speed of traffic before attemtping to merge, as doing otherwise is extremely dangerous.
Also, if you merge onto the freeway at dangerously slow speeds (yes, 50 in a 70 is a dangerously slow merging speed if there is a heavy flow of traffic) you can actually get a ticket. Trust me, I got one years ago. It was a moving violation for "improper merge."

Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
...And he's been banned. Good job to whichever mod was responsible for taking out the trash.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:57 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
...And he's been banned. Good job to whichever mod was responsible for taking out the trash.
And it wasn't just this thread he was trolling. Good riddance.

So anyway, back on topic... People who can't merge, suck!

Old 09-17-2014, 06:07 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Not around here buddy. You'll be dead if you try to merge onto a freeway at 35mph in Texas. .
OH I love this! I spent 6 weeks at Wichita Falls and spent every weekend in Harper. I'd get out of WF and bury the gas pedal. 70mph on the backroads but when people were moving a little slower than warp speed they'd just drive to the side until you flew by. Man I put some miles on that car! I love Texas!

And yes, you'd think the art of merging would be elementary enough for anyone to grasp. Not so.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
The answer isn't "speed up" or "slow down".

It's anticipate what the cars next to you, ahead of you, and behind you are going to do, and respond accordingly.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:22 PM

53 posts, read 67,433 times
Have you not noticed that common sense doesn't really exist anymore? People don't merge over to allow on-ramp traffic much, either. If you put on your blinker to indicate you are going to change lanes, that's now a signal for the cars behind you to cut you off FROM BEHIND. Most people don't even USE their turn signals to indicate what they're going to do. Obliviots have taken over on the roads. One would think that if you're on a freeway (especially an L.A. freeway) that if traffic is moving, you go with the traffic, not decide to drive 15-25 miles slower than the moving traffic. I could go on and on and on, but the bottom line is that expecting common sense is futile. It's gone - for the most part.

I will say, as far as cars trying to merge into my lane -- if you put on your turn signal, I will endeavor to let you in. If you try to just cut me off to get in front of me without letting me know what you intend to do FIRST -- not so much.

People used to be more concerned about their own personal safety, as well as others -- not to mention property damage. Now it's just a free for all, and you take your life in your hands if you get in the car. Drunk drivers used to be the biggest hazard -- now the cellphone drivers (talk/test/otherwise) are the majority so driving to the grocery store is a blood sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive