Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:49 PM

293 posts, read 309,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Ok, after this, I'll stop feeding the trolls.

Most states have laws similar to this, from Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 89 Section 4B:

Section 4B. Upon all ways the driver of a vehicle shall drive in the lane nearest the right side of the way when such lane is available for travel, except when overtaking another vehicle or when preparing for a left turn. When the right lane has been constructed or designated for purposes other than ordinary travel, a driver shall drive his vehicle in the lane adjacent to the right lane except when overtaking another vehicle or when preparing for a left or right turn; provided, however, that a driver may drive his vehicle in such right lane if signs have been erected by the department of highways permitting the use of such lane.

If you need some help understanding this, it says "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS."

It DOES NOT say, "if you fell like you are going about the right speed, and you're not in a particular hurry, you can drive in any lane you want, without regard to anyone else because you're an entitled little jerk and the world thinks you're special."

You better stick with your bicycle paperboy.
I missed the part where it approvingly discusses tailgating. Is that just me, am I the only one who missed that? This is embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:50 PM

By the way, for all the people who keep citing the law, doesn't the law also require you to follow the speed limit?

...OWNED.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:00 PM

520 posts, read 776,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
I missed the part where it approvingly discusses tailgating. Is that just me, am I the only one who missed that? This is embarrassing.
You seem to be missing cause and effect. If you stay out of people's way MOST of them will not ride your tail. Very simple.

Tailgating is rather subjective. There is no absolute "safe following distance" that applies to all situations.

Before our paperboy throws out another internet term used exclusively by people not old enough to have a driver's license, let me clarify. The law I cited doesn't say anything about speeding, tailgating or childishly trying to squirt other people's cars with your washer fluid. It is one of many rules of the road, which along with common courtesy allow people to get where there going without upsetting or crashing into one another.

If everyone followed these rules, you wouldn't have to spend your valuable time debating the best way to wet the windshield of the car behind you.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
You seem to be missing cause and effect. If you stay out of people's way MOST of them will not ride your tail. Very simple.
Yeah, guys, if you just get out of their way, tailgaters won't tailgate you. Sheesh, what's wrong with everyone? And if they cut you off, well, hey, if you hadn't been there, they wouldn't be cutting you off. And if they ram into your car, well, that wouldn't have happened if you had just not used your brake. These are all common sense and logical statements.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
I've seen it work on the next car in that it gets their windshield wet, but they didn't back off or anything.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:42 PM

419 posts, read 846,787 times
When I'm tailgated in the right lane: I drive slightly over the white line, where all the pebbles and dust have accumulated on the side of the road. My tires kick up some pebbles & debris onto the vehicle behind me. Tailgaters back off or move to the left lane to pass me.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:57 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issus View Post
So you're clearly a tailgater. The speed limit is extremely well enforced here, lots of speed traps, lots of cops with radar guns - I cant afford the cost of a fine, therefore I hit cruise control or or just above the limit. Its always the same style of car that is tailgating, without fail. It has nothing to do with me doing the speed limit and everything to do with the person riding my ass, I can look in my rear view mirror and easily pick out which cars would tailgate me and start getting pissed off that I do the speed limit.

In Canada when we've been on holiday there, everyone is doing 20km/h over the limit, here people do 20km/h UNDER the limit on the freeway because of the amount of speed enforcement. Pretty much everyone does the speed limit. I just do exactly the speed that is marked on the sign. They can get as angry as they want, but I am not going to break the law because they are too much of a bogan to follow the clearly posted limits.
So, why don't you do the polite and unselfish thing and move over to the right lane and let others pass?

If there really is a big time enforcement effort, then let the tailgater receive their just dessert.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:33 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issus View Post
It works perfectly. They have wipers, but they have to turn them on, or they turn on automatically. People back off immediately. ...

If a child had stepped out from between parked cars, and I had slammed my brakes on with his follow distance and inattention I would have stopped in time, however he would have nailed me from behind and pushed me into the kid. A decade ago that street used to be 70 - it was changed down to 50 for a good reason.
Why is it any more trouble for them to turn on their wipers than it is for you?

I think you're 10 times more likely to hit that child because your mind is all wrapped up on the car behind you and you're distracted playing wiper games.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
When I'm tailgated in the right lane: I drive slightly over the white line, where all the pebbles and dust have accumulated on the side of the road. My tires kick up some pebbles & debris onto the vehicle behind me. Tailgaters back off or move to the left lane to pass me.
Do they ever pass you, get in the right lane in front of you, and then drive over the line to spray pebbles and debris in return?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
There are even warnings about it. There are also places, such as in Germany, where there are no speed limits."
Oh My ... Noooo speed limits, how horrible !!! :-O

Get off the phone, quit eating, quit putting on your makeup, quit playing with your radio ... AND DRIVE !!

Of coursr there are idiots who tailgate for no reason (other than to F with people) just like there are idiots who drive too slow or camp in the passing lane ... or hang out on chat forums

Cop Screws with Slow Driver in the Fast Lane - YouTube

The country with the best drivers rated from experience - Tallahassee Crime | Examiner.com

ABCNEWS.com : Why Are U.S. Drivers So Bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive