Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 03:57 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,479,051 times

Advertisements

On two-lane roads with no other traffic, I like to start swerving around like I'm drunk. They'll back off in a hurry. It's even more effective if you drive a convertible, and they can see you taking a big swig of a (alcohol-free) bottle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 04:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Ok, after this, I'll stop feeding the trolls.

Most states have laws similar to this, from Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 89 Section 4B:

Section 4B. Upon all ways the driver of a vehicle shall drive in the lane nearest the right side of the way when such lane is available for travel, except when overtaking another vehicle or when preparing for a left turn. When the right lane has been constructed or designated for purposes other than ordinary travel, a driver shall drive his vehicle in the lane adjacent to the right lane except when overtaking another vehicle or when preparing for a left or right turn; provided, however, that a driver may drive his vehicle in such right lane if signs have been erected by the department of highways permitting the use of such lane.

If you need some help understanding this, it says "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS."

It DOES NOT say, "if you fell like you are going about the right speed, and you're not in a particular hurry, you can drive in any lane you want, without regard to anyone else because you're an entitled little jerk and the world thinks you're special."

You better stick with your bicycle paperboy.
As stated before Texas has a statute that says on those roads where TxDOT has specifically designated a section as left lane for passing only, AND the signage is specifically worded, for a stretch of roadway after that sign (but not forever or even for miles unless there's another sign), the left lane is for passing only.

It also has a slower traffic keep right law.

It also, like (seriously) most states, has a speed limit law which it is just as important to obey as the keep right law and left lane for passing only law that some of you keep going on about while pretending the speed limit law doesn't exist. This means that slower traffic is that traffic going less than the speed limit, and I absolutely agree with that law (keep right) as it is intended based on the ENTIRE statute.

How about you? Do you consider that the part of the law that regulates speed should be taken just as seriously as the part of the law that gets people out of your way?

Old 09-16-2014, 04:33 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
Yep, I've done it. After a couple of times you can get the timing just right, and watch them washing their windshield with your cleaning fluid.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Perhaps instead of thinking about how to "punish" the tailgater, you should be thinking about why they're tailgating in the first place?

There are some obnoxious drivers that will tailgate anyone anywhere for no reason. From my perspective, most of the obnoxious people are in front of the tailgater doing one of the following things:

Sitting in the left lane going whatever speed they feel like and sentencing every other driver to their chosen speed.

Going too slow on a road with no passing lane.

Aggressively pulling out in front of a would be tailgater and then going really, really slow.

Not maintaining a consistent speed and/or randomly hitting their brakes every 30 seconds when there is no one in front of them.

Talking/texting and not paying attention to anything around them.

The list goes on and on. If someone is tailgating you, there's a good chance that they are just trying to get somewhere and you are preventing them from doing so.

I assume that the objection to tailgating is that it is unsafe. I can't really see how trying to seek revenge on people for violating your personal space ups the safety quotient. Let me guess, if the windshield washer fluid doesn't work, you slam on the brakes to "really teach them a lesson!"
That's hilarious.

Also what some guy thought in Philly when he insisted on tailgaiting me all the way down I95 in back to back traffic after weaving in and out of all three lanes in rush hour.

Two words: BRAKE JOB

He went flying off the highway over a ditch up the embankment. I'm pretty sure he had a lovely view of the sky since his car was almost vertical. Also prolly cost him a nice couple hundred dollars to get towed.

A very nice police officer stopped me a coupla exists later and said "Hmmm, a motorist said he got into an accident with an old man in a car fitting this description and with long grey hair but I don't see any damage on your car."

Me: "Oh really officer? Blink, smile." I was 25 with long blonde hair and I'm a girl hahahaha.

Another time a bunch of wanna be Ninja jackasses were playing clever on I95 weaving in and out of all the traffic as fast as humanly possible and missing vehicles by mere inches. Around 40 bikes.

DING DING DING: BRAKE JOB.

They went flying all over the highway half of them flying OFF their bikes.

My father was a modified stock car owner so ...whatever.

Proceed with caution. It will ALWAYS be YOUR fault with the cops and insurance company when you rear end me; so enjoy your high blood pressure over whatever issues you have not being allowed to FLY DOWN THE HIGHWAY at will. And let's be honest. It's not about HIGHWAY driving with tailgaters they do it on the daily on EVERY road. Car length distance? BWAHAHAHA. More like 8 inches. No pun intended LOL.

BTW I95 has EXITS IN THE LEFT LANE. Drive much outside of your state?

Move to Jacksonville. They pass you minding your business in the MIDDLE lane at top speed - one from each lane on either side decide to cut in front of you simultaneously.

I also got rear ended there sitting STILL. TWICE. He took his foot off the brake and hit the GAS AGAIN. He made me crash into some lady in front of me who was also stopped WHILE SOME PEDESTRIAN WOMAN WITH A LITTLE KID HAD JUST CROSSED THE STREET IN FRONT OF HER.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:49 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
DING DING DING: BRAKE JOB.
Will you feel so clever when you get a little carried away with that and find yourself facing manslaughter charges?

Old 09-16-2014, 04:52 PM

293 posts, read 309,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Will you feel so clever when you get a little carried away with that and find yourself facing manslaughter charges?
It's interesting how people who tailgate always say that when people bring up braking ...but then they never stop tailgating. What happens when someone actually needs to brake and something happens, are the people in front still supposed to feel badly? Probably you never think about it or care, I bet.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:02 PM

Okay... I don't tailgate, but, regardless, when your actions are a contributing factor to the death of someone else, you're liable. Plain and simple. Nothing you say changes any of that, so I don't really give two ****s how many ways you try to "circle talk" around it.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Okay... I don't tailgate, but, regardless, when your actions are a contributing factor to the death of someone else, you're liable. Plain and simple. Nothing you say changes any of that, so I don't really give two ****s how many ways you try to "circle talk" around it.
I don't hit the brakes when people tailgate, so it sounds like we'd be fine on the road together then. However, that's the actual reason why someone is not supposed to tailgate, obviously. So that there's adequate time to react to something.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:13 PM

Agreed 100%. But, the actions described above - slamming on the brakes deliberately - it's every bit as aggressive and dangerous as tailgating is. I don't understand how so many are quick to assume, "well, if they **** me off first, anything I do in retaliation is fair game".

Old 09-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Agreed 100%. But, the actions described above - slamming on the brakes deliberately - it's every bit as aggressive and dangerous as tailgating is. I don't understand how so many are quick to assume, "well, if they **** me off first, anything I do in retaliation is fair game".
It's why people say that accidents occur when two bad drivers meet. It's fine if it's a tailgater with a good driver, or a person who would slam on the brakes with a good driver, but if the two meet it's trouble waiting to happen. Basically, it's two sides of the same coin, you're right. On the other hand, I side more with the person who brakes probably because of what I said -- sometimes someone ACTUALLY needs to slam on the brakes for legitimate purposes and you should be driving in a manner to respond. Meanwhile, there's no justification for tailgating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive