Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 PM

77,800 posts, read 59,963,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
For being "Mathguy", you seem to be lacking in statistics.

The entire basis of the study is subjective, however, the stratified random sample they most likely used is still sound math, and the sample of 2000 for a stratified random sample is most likely adequate for the population size of about 200 million people with driver's licenses.
Really? 2000 observations is enough to derive credible results comparing the drivers in 50 different states?

Here is how someone with an actual job producing credible results does a survey.

Quote:
The results are based on more than 178,000 Gallup Daily tracking interviews conducted nationwide throughout 2013. Each state's sample had a minimum of 500 respondents, and Gallup interviewed at least 1,000 residents in 40 different states.
Hawaiians, D.C. Residents Most Approving of Obama in 2013

I don't expect you to show your face around here again after this exchange so appreciate the fact that I'm laughing at you as you demonstrated you complete lack of experience while lecturing me. I can only pray that if you are doing analysis for a living that it's for one of our competitors.

Of course if they were asking 2000 people something homogenous like, "Do you like grapes" then yes, 2000 is probably enough. I'd be nicer in this exchange but you went full derp right out of the box so I don't see the need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:19 PM

656 posts, read 1,334,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Again, sometimes it's just something that can't be helped, in terms of that the stores can't stock themselves, and it's not the truckers' fault that the roads become crowded due to them just being there, and so be it. It doesn't mean we have to LIKE it though.
It's not the trucks that make roadways crowded. Count the number of cars for every truck you see. You're going to tell me a number of vehicles vastly in the minority is the cause for traffic jams? I don't think so.

Quote:
"Rat running" is one, that is, them driving on "back" roads that are very narrow and not designed to handle big rigs, even as 4-lane roads meant for big rigs are close by.
If they're on those back roads, it's for a reason. Fuel costs are a bit dissuasive to out-of-route driving, not to mention most carriers nowadays use a system such as the Qualcomm, which sends a fuel route which the drivers are expected to follow. The truck with the dump trailer? Yeah, if that one has a sleeper berth, it's because the guy who owns it got a better deal on that one that he would've a day cab... it's not a truck going cross country, and there's a reason for them to be on that road.
Granted, there will be times that you'll have a freight hauler try using a car GPS and getting themselves into a jam, but the majority of trucks you see on backroads are there for a sound reason. So, instead of griping about them, maybe gripe at the company which put an asphalt plant or rock quarry on that road of all roads.

Quote:
Stick to the 4-lane roads, please.
Not always possible, as I've already explained. You want them to stick to four lane roads, then put the pressure on shippers, receivers, etc. not to establish their businesses on those roads. Then there'll be no cause for them to be on those roads.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:09 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,193,292 times
I am really shocked Georgia is not on there. Some of the worst, rudest drivers you'll ever encounter. It is especially dangerous for pedestrians there, as the state has one of the highest pedestrian death rates in the country. They literally run people down there.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:49 AM

210 posts, read 244,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I think it all depends on how you define "rude." I think most such studies cite bird flippers, horn honkers, cursing etc. To me, what counts as rude--getting in the way and not moving over when you know you're in the way. "Rat running" also is rude, that is, people driving in larger numbers on "back" secluded roads in the country or "side streets" in the city while going to work, vs sticking to the "main" roads designed for it. People who live on those back roads don't want every person from A to Zinc making their road busy and ruining their quality of life in the process.

So rude would be:

(1) Driving slow in the fast lane, or what I call "speed matching," meaning you and another car are in your respective lanes driving the exact same speed (hence the name) driving right beside each other, making it impossible for others to go around. Don't call me "rude" for wanting around you, you're the one who is rude for blocking traffic that way.

(2) Driving below the speed limit on a 2-lane road and cars are backing up behind you, and you refuse to pull over. You see this a lot in "scenic" areas, and it ought to be legal to push such people off the cliffs, frankly.

(3) Taking too long to go when the light turns green. You don't have to squall tires, but GO already.

(4) Driving all in the middle of the road when exiting or entering a parking lot. Stay right, you don't need the entire width to get in or get out. If you do, then either you can't drive or your vehicle is too big.

(5) Tailgating me if I'm going the speed limit or faster and you have the means to pass. Tailgate the people in #1 and #2 all you want, because those are people driving below the speed limit and blocking you from passing. I'm doing neither, and just because I'm not interested in breaking the sound barrier isn't an invitation for you to right my rear.
My three biggest pet peeves dear god.

Rat running. There goes that phrase again. Not my fault they made your back two lane road a main artery for commuters when they connected it to the larger city.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:58 AM

210 posts, read 244,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I am really shocked Georgia is not on there. Some of the worst, rudest drivers you'll ever encounter. It is especially dangerous for pedestrians there, as the state has one of the highest pedestrian death rates in the country. They literally run people down there.
You're definitely talking about Atlanta. That city is becoming a huge melting pot of every other major city that has a high COL.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:22 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,193,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayla2go View Post
You're definitely talking about Atlanta. That city is becoming a huge melting pot of every other major city that has a high COL.
It is the state itself that has a high pedestrian death rate. There are no sidewalks in most of suburban Atlanta and rural Georgia. People get run over in those parts all the time because there's no safe places for the them to walk. And it's especially dangerous at night because they have no street lights.

People in suburban Atlanta often get run over because they have to cross wide highways to try to get to the other side and drivers won't stop for them. I've had to walk along these roads just to get home and it's dangerous. Georgia doesn't have the infrastructure for pedestrians and pedestrian right-of-way laws are not enforced.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:38 AM

513 posts, read 732,799 times
Default Add Columbus, Georgia

"I am really shocked Georgia is not on there. Some of the worst, rudest drivers you'll ever encounter. It is especially dangerous for pedestrians there, as the state has one of the highest pedestrian death rates in the country. They literally run people down there."

Yikes! I agree with Georgia's nomination. JR Allen Parkway (US 80) is awful even at 6:30 - 7:00 AM. When you see the skid marks going across three lanes, over into the grassy median and back onto the road, you have to know these are people with issues! I had an SUV pass me on the right side break-down lane when I was going 5 miles over the speed limit in the right lane. Insane! I call that particular stretch Talladega East.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:33 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,663,648 times
Why is anyone shocked? The list is worthless. DC up near the top while Maryland and Virginia are much lower ranked makes no sense. Most of the rude drivers in DC. are from those states. Does "DC" just mean the city itself or the Metro area, which is full or rude drivers, who are mostly from those states. Couple this obvious problem with the poll with all of the others mentioned and it's clearly a worthless poll. Why be shocked at that. The media constantly puts out worthless polls. It's just another day in America.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:07 AM

820 posts, read 1,205,287 times
Yes for NJ, and DE its spot on.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,225,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
In the metro areas and the drive to the resort towns, 100% and then some.
Oh, the resort towns might be the tourists in those slow RVs?
Oooorrrrr maybe resentful townies, ha...that hate that summer traffic?

I haven't had a problem in Denver...personally...but compared to Boston,
I mean...well...I find alot of do gooder Chistians here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive