Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:26 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,311,084 times

Advertisements

I am sure you have noticed the gradual disappearance of the once mighty Econoline and to a lesser extent GMC Savana. We have gotten to a point that Chevy has to rebadge the ugly Nissan NV200 and sell it as Chevrolet City Express. Really? GM needed Nissan's help to make a panel van? I am not even sure what Ford is doing. They are losing the blue collar crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 07:32 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,155,943 times
I’m glad the old E series is gone. I think the new fullsize transit is a much better service vehicle. Ford got just about every dollar they could out of that platform.

I can’t comment about GM, because pretty much they suck wind and I’m not surprised that had to re-badge a Nissan.

Dodge has the Promaster, but I have yet to hear anything about them.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,660 posts, read 81,403,499 times
The Ford Transit line is basically copying the Mercedes/Dodge Sprinters, but with several sizes. I actually like them. No one likes the traditional vans any more, being able to stand up inside is a big seller.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Its all about demand and profits.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:54 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,832,120 times
The Ford Transit does an excellent job of upping the ante. Ford didn't forget a thing. The van platform is tried and true, ford last updated the e series in 1992. After 19 years of the previous generation.

Eco-boost engines, smaller powerstoke diesels. Lots of potential for business and fleet operations. That's the main customer of van for several years.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM

656 posts, read 1,343,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The Ford Transit line is basically copying the Mercedes/Dodge Sprinters, but with several sizes. I actually like them. No one likes the traditional vans any more, being able to stand up inside is a big seller.
The Ford Transit actually dates back to 1965... they're pretty much the OGs in this hood. And they, like the Mercedes-Benz Sprinters, were built to the specs of the European markets. Now, they're gaining acceptance in this market, whereas they would've been snubbed back when gas was 79 cents a gallon or less. You buy a cargo van, it's a business vehicle. And every expense which goes into that business affects your bottom line. So, you find a platform which is more specifically suited to your needs, rather than a general purpose platform which is excessive to the needs of many. Auto makers are going to follow suit.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:41 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,311,084 times
I saw a Freightliner utility van a while back. It belonged to some air conditioning contractor. Never associated Freightliner with cargo vans. It was pretty big. Are Transits and Sprinters big enough for American contractors doing roofing etc.?

Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,832,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I saw a Freightliner utility van a while back. It belonged to some air conditioning contractor. Never associated Freightliner with cargo vans. It was pretty big. Are Transits and Sprinters big enough for American contractors doing roofing etc.?
The Mercedes, dodge sprinter and Freightliner where all part of Daimler for a while. The Freightliner version and the dodge version have since been discontinued.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 PM

656 posts, read 1,343,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The "Freightliner" vans were simply rebadged Mercedes-Benz vans.. same deal with the Dodge Sprinters... all were assembled from complete knock-down kits imported by Mercedes. Daimler A.G. is the parent company of Mercedes-Benz, Freightliner, Sterling (1997 - 2009), Western Star, Thomas Built Buses, etc., and was also the parent of Chrysler until 2007, so they could play around with brand names... Mercedes is a major manufacturer of cargo, vocational, and utility vehicles, but not so much in the US market, so it would make sense that they'd want their product badged with a name which people in the market will associate with those things.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:21 PM

317 posts, read 748,723 times
My company just gave me a new Ford cargo van (full size) with a 4.6 liter motor and after owning actually still own a Chevy Express (2010) well I want to sell the Chevy! (23,000 miles)

First off the Ford you start and go unlike the Chevy that needs extended warming up of the six liter motor and second the AC in the Ford is unbelievable! Within a minute It's ice cold and this is an open cargo van.

It's a good thing I paid a third of the sticker that Ford has. Mine's a passenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive