Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 06:46 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You expect a bicycle site to be taken seriously about debunking bicycle accidents? Especially when they claim in their own article that their math is faulty?

road.cc doesn’t have an in-house statistician (applications are open, but be warned: the pay is lousy), so no doubt there are serious flaws in what follows and we expect smarter people than us to point them out in the comments.

No, they all claim it's a "tiny minority" of riders when the "tiny minority" appears to be more like 49% (so they can still say 'most' riders are safe). Around here the only time you see them riding single file is when there is only 1 rider.

New York’s cycles of death: Our arrogant-biker nightmare | New York Post

Bicycle riders are a menace and a problem, it's bad enough that even the clubs recognize it and can't spin their way out of it.
What happened at Flying Wheels? | Cascade Bicycle Club
SOME bicycle riders are a menace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:39 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I must say, it would be very difficult to have a rational discussion that would call a group of people "democrats", because they ride a bike or like to ride bicycles? Is that what you are trying to convey? Do you know how dim minded you sound? Apparently not. I truly would be about impossible to discuss this issue with you. Maybe it is best you don't post and just read for a while to learn something. I don't think you will, but you could try and catch up to the cash strapped young people with their MASSIVE debts from college. You know, that little 1 trillion dollar problem that is growing so fast that the 1 trillion number will look pleasing in a couple years. Young people CAN'T afford cars due to massive debt! Don't you get that?

Grasping for straws on that one. Bicycle advocate groups are democrats. Speaking of dim-minded, I hardly believe it is college students racing their bicycles and hitting pedestrians, or much less out at all times of the day like all the lance armstrongs out there.

Just because they have massive debts from college doesn't mean a vehicle isn't affordable. If one can do their own repairs and simple maintenance, it is not an issue. H3ll, if a person can't afford a $2000 dollar car, then you're doing something wrong. And trying to bring the countries debt into for excuses is very dim minded, a lot of us didn't vote for the person that is running the tab up!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:53 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
Clearly there's a case to be made for mandatory liability coverage for cyclists. People have died from injuries sustained from a collision from a bicycle, and based on miles driven, pedestrian danger of collision from bicycles and automobiles are nearly the same.
Serious injury risk is not the same.. nor is the sample size large enough for extrapolation. Because a few idiot cyclists (like the one in your article that killed a pedestrian) mow throw a row of pedestrians doesn't mean bicycles are likely to kill pedestrians. That was more of a case of trying to injure pedestrians.

What is the statistic for bicycles that ride in the street killing pedestrians?

I'm willing to bet that number quickly approaches zero. Most cyclists seem to ride in the sidwalk, which skews the results. It is ill advised behavior. That's like saying me saying automobile drivers kill pedestrians and only use drunk driving or speeding accidents in the statistics.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
So let me ask you a question?
If there is 1 lane, I am making a right hand turn with my BLINKER on, why did 2 cyclist on separate occasions, just fly past me on the right?
Do they feel they do not have to stop for the car in front of them who has had their blinker on for a half of a block?
By the way, they both flew into a children's crossing zone with out even slowing down.

Of course if they would have crashed into me as I was turning, I guess I would be sitting in jail right now.
If they would have hit one of the children, hopefully, they would be sitting in jail and all future earnings, going to the child they hit.
They were behaving stupidly. I ride in the lane.. so I would have just slowed down behind you like a car and waited for you to turn. Right-hooks are the most common motorist-bicycle crashes. Right hooks are eliminated completely by cycling in the lane like standard vehicular traffic (which is why I do it).

Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Not even close....even for a cyclist-centric website.

Your link completely ignores accidents per vehicle mile traveled which is critical in any measure of vehicular safety and any discussion of personal liability as a driver or operator.

The fact is that any given bicyclist's chance of colliding with a pedestrian is nearly equal to that of the operator of any other type of vehicle despite being smaller and more maneuverable.
No, the chance of a bicycle colliding with a predestrian is skewed upward due to many cyclists riding on the sidwalk, which is ill-advised.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
Grasping for straws on that one. Bicycle advocate groups are democrats. Speaking of dim-minded, I hardly believe it is college students racing their bicycles and hitting pedestrians, or much less out at all times of the day like all the lance armstrongs out there.

Just because they have massive debts from college doesn't mean a vehicle isn't affordable. If one can do their own repairs and simple maintenance, it is not an issue. H3ll, if a person can't afford a $2000 dollar car, then you're doing something wrong. And trying to bring the countries debt into for excuses is very dim minded, a lot of us didn't vote for the person that is running the tab up!
So.... you're upset at young people for choosing bikes over cars?

Face it.. why would a young city-dwelling millenial buy a gas guzzling jerkwagon (which requires maintenance and a parking space) when a bike can be had for a few hundred bucks? Might even drop a few pounds in the process....

Why would I ever consider a $2,000 car when I can buy two top of the line bikes for that amount?

I have a car... I just don't drive it much in the city. It makes no logical sense. Mine is mostly for highway driving.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, the chance of a bicycle colliding with a predestrian is skewed upward due to many cyclists riding on the sidwalk, which is ill-advised.
Another great reason training, licensing, and insurance should be required. The fact the bikes are quieter and often quicker in urban environments than cars probably also contributes to their risk of collision with pedestrians.

None of the above would be a problem for cyclists who know what they are doing.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
I was run down by a bicyclist on the sidewalk, heading downhill at an estimated 30 mph. I didn't hear him coming, and he didn't say anything, just ran right into me. I was unable to work for several days and had a substantial medical bill. Of course, he didn't have any insurance or money. It has made me pretty grouchy about people riding bicycles on the sidewalk.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Another great reason training, licensing, and insurance should be required. The fact the bikes are quieter and often quicker in urban environments than cars probably also contributes to their risk of collision with pedestrians.

None of the above would be a problem for cyclists who know what they are doing.
Not really. It is just as simple as too many bikes are on the sidewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I was run down by a bicyclist on the sidewalk, heading downhill at an estimated 30 mph. I didn't hear him coming, and he didn't say anything, just ran right into me. I was unable to work for several days and had a substantial medical bill. Of course, he didn't have any insurance or money. It has made me pretty grouchy about people riding bicycles on the sidewalk.
I have no issue with police issuing violations for cyclists riding on the sidewalk. It is illegal in many jurisdictions. It should be enforced. It is a hazard for pedestrians.

I don't ever ride on the sidewalk personally.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:52 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Upthread it was claimed that bicyclists are legally allowed to claim the entire lane. That comment left out the conditions of that right, at least in Texas, per the statute (it also makes it clear that bicyclists should pass on the left, not the right):

Sec. 551.103. OPERATION ON ROADWAY. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person

operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway

shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway, unless:
(1) the person is passing another vehicle moving in the same direction;
(2) the person is preparing to turn left at an intersection or onto a private road or driveway;
(3) a condition on or of the roadway, including a fixed or moving object, parked or moving

vehicle, pedestrian, animal, or surface hazard prevents the person from safely riding

next to the right curb or edge of the roadway; or
(4) the person is operating a bicycle in an outside lane that is:
(A) less than 14 feet in width and does not have a designated bicycle lane adjacent to that lane; or
(B) too narrow for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to safely travel side by side.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:32 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
It's just so aggravating. This morning I saw a biker run a red light. I see bikers run stop signs all the time (I've actually almost hit a biker because of this), but running a red light was the first time I've seen that. Now, provided, he was in the "biker's lane", but it's still just blatantly disregarding a red light.
I ride my bike occasionally to get around here in Denver (more of a car person), and I generally follow all the rules of the road, but I will admit I've run a red light or two.

The problem is Denver has set up specific biking routes in the city and installed bike lanes, but then on some of them the traffic lights are timed for cars. I've biked down 16th Ave in central (residential) Denver - a designated bike route with a bike lane - many times where if on a bike you hit every single light red. Imagine biking for a few miles having to stop at a red light every 600 or 700 feet (and most of the time there not being any cross-traffic). So yeah, I've treated red lights as stop signs before while biking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive