Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:11 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times

Advertisements

Officials release full 51 minute dashcam video in trooper-involv - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Wow. Looks like the trooper lied about the proceedings of the event to his superior officer. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 10:04 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
SMH at the people blaming the guy who got shot!

The officer gave a command and the guy followed. If the officer was THAT jumpy and paranoid, he should have gave an order to S L O W L Y get back into the vehicle and retrieve his license/registration. An officer this paranoid should not be on the job and I'm glad he was fired. Look how he takes an extra shot even after the victim has his hands up in the air.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:40 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Do not make sudden quick movements during a traffic stop. Also, do not get out of your vehicle during a traffic stop unless you really want to put the officer on extreme edge. That said, it would appear this guy didn't realize he was subject to a traffic stop at first and was just getting out to run into the store.

The first thing this officer should have done was tell the guy to get back in his car, shut the door, and put his hands on the steering wheel. To tell someone who is already out of his car to reach back into it to retrieve something is to ask for trouble, either in the form of him reaching for a weapon, or you THINKING he's reaching for a weapon and overreacting just like this officer did. I'm certainly no expert on law enforcement procedure, but I thought it was standard procedure to order anyone who gets out of the car during a traffic stop or starts getting out to get his ass back in and shut the door. This officer knew damn well within seconds of pulling the trigger that his career was over, and probably worse.
/\This. When I was a reserve officer, the proper training in a traffic stop is to tell the person (if already out of his vehicle) to get back in the vehicle and WAIT in the vehicle! Once they are in their vehicle, you approach and ask to see license, registration. The guy had no idea that this cop was stopping him - the cop could have at least told him on the PA system to wait where he was. Definitely a screw up on the troopers part and he deserved to lose his job!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:02 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,462 times
The officer should be arrested and charged.
We have similar issues here in Florida.
I think a lot of the problem is the maturity of the officers. Most agencies around here recruit and only hire young men and women who are in top physical condition. They require all new hires reguardless of experience go through a Boot Camp.
They are worked almost to the point of death. This alone keeps any qualified, experienced, older canidates away.
They waive any rights to injuries that may occur during this Boot Camp.
Also agencies see massive exits of their best officers while the officer is in his 50s. Usually an officer in his 50s is truely at their best. Best judgement, investigative skills, compassion, etc.. This far out weights any loss of physical abilities at this age. I realize there needs to be some standards with weight, height, and physical abilities but we need to keep these officers somehow. Also, a few weeks ago I went to the ER at my local hospital. There was a young female deputy working there off duty. She was roughly 5-2 and 105 lbs. No matter how tough she was, she couldn't make me do anything. Taser maybe, but physically, no way. Sorry I got way off topic. I was a Reserve Deputy up until last year, and worked as a full time deputy for about 10 years.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
The officer should be arrested and charged . . .
He was and has been.

I think the DA has an uphill case trying to prove the officer had criminal intent. That said there's a roughly 100% certainty that he and the state of South Carolina are on the hook for hefty civil damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive