Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 05:30 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
it would bother people if they had to fill up more than 1 car using opposite sides so you'd have to remember which is which. Who else's wife makes them fill their car? Raise your hand.
Lol! True!

My 4Runner is left. My SL is right.
I prefer the right.
No idea where my wife's Caddy's is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 12:33 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Why do some makes have the fill on the left and some on the right? GM (as far as ive seen) puts their fill on the right. Advantage is you don't hit your car door when getting out to pump. Other makes put the fill on the left. Advantage is shorter walk to fill. With so many service stations having multiple pumps, wouldn't it be easier and efficient if all makes and models put the fill on either the left or the right? Most Nissan vehicles I saw had the fill on the left but I saw an Infiniti (part of Nissan) with a fill on the right. How does an automaker decide on fuel fill location?
My understanding is that most European and Japanese automakers place their gas tanks on the side that is usually considered the curbside in their respective countries.

Supposedly, it is done for safety reasons. In case the driver has to fill the vehicle via an emergency gas can, the driver would not be exposed to being hit by passing vehicles.

If true, that's a very thoughtful consideration.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,378 times
THe reason JAPANESE cars have their fuel fillers, on their Left side is quite simple, THEY DRIVE ON THE LEFT, just like the BRITISH, therefore the fillers are on the KURBSIDE !
THe ONLY reason most AMERICAN cars are on the LEFT, was originally , just for CONVIENCE, they should be on the RIGHT since we drive on the RIGHT , KURBSIDE.
I buy ZERO cars with the fillers on LEFT.
I have damaged 3 rental drivers side doors in Florida.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
In countries where people drive on the right, the gas fill belongs on the left side. It is natural for people to pull up on the right side of the pump.

Years ago, Consumer Reports had one of their jousting at windmills campaigns where they kept saying the gas fill should be on the right. It had something to do with collision locations. But I ask, which do you do more, fill up with gas or get into collisions?
GM did a census of which parts THe sold most, IT was right front Gunter, and LEFT rear quarter, as the result of overtaking accidents, and the related fuel fillers on the left, so they suggested fuel fillers ought to be on the right, so it seems they followed up, as there are more of their vehicles have gone to the RIGHT

Old 11-23-2016, 08:59 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
I prefer the full on the driver side. Thankfully all of my vehicles including my company vehicle are that way.

This is purely anecdotal, but in my past life I was in the fuel equipment industry. It seemed that more people who absent-mindedly drove off with the fuel nozzle still in the tank inlet had the fill on the passenger side.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:13 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton 44 View Post
THe reason JAPANESE cars have their fuel fillers, on their Left side is quite simple, THEY DRIVE ON THE LEFT, just like the BRITISH, therefore the fillers are on the KURBSIDE !
THe ONLY reason most AMERICAN cars are on the LEFT, was originally , just for CONVIENCE, they should be on the RIGHT since we drive on the RIGHT , KURBSIDE.

I don't think the problem is with the location of the filler door. I prefer left side because it's easier to position my vehicle. I just leave enough room so I can open my door without hitting the post. All three of my vehicles have the filler on the left, which is just fine with me. But fuel filler location was never a deal breaker for me. I have a Hyundai Sonata, Jeep Wrangler and Chevy Silverado.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
European cars don't show it, but then you know it is on the right.

).
??? My Mercedes does.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:00 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Most fuel gauges have an indicator showing which side the tank is on.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton 44 View Post
You're parking too close to the pump. Give yourself some room to open the door.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:21 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
The gas fill on my '76 Cadillac is behind the rear license plate, which is where I prefer. (See photo.)

The gas fill on my '95 Lincoln Town Car is on the driver's side, which would be my second choice.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive