Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 12:13 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
What car wax do you use?
I do auto detailing as a hobby and side business, so I use lots of different waxes. Lately, the ones being used on my personal vehicles have been Chemical Guys Factory Sealant and Duragloss #111. They are synthetic polymer sealants and not waxes in the technical term though.

As for the "best" wax, that's a tough question to answer because so much of it comes down to personal preference. First you have sealants and waxes, each giving a little bit of a different look. Then you could pick a high end wax like Pinnacle Sovereign or Wolfgang Fuzion that will look great but do not last very long, or you could pick something like Collinite Insulator Wax which doesn't look as good (still good though) but lasts a lot longer.

Quote:
If you have a black car, are there car waxes specifically designed ( made) for black cars?
Yes, the aforementioned Pinnacle Sovereign and Poorboy's Nattys Blue are a couple designed for dark colored vehicles. They usually contain more oils than other waxes, which helps bring out gloss and depth but negatively affects longevity.

Quote:
How often should you wax a car?
As often as it needs it. Wax is the sacrificial barrier between the environment and your paint/clearcoat.

As a general rule of thumb, waxes should be reapplied every 3-4 months. Sealants can last 6-8 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 12:27 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
RejeX.

I use it on my plane, as well as on all my vehicles.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:33 PM

174 posts, read 181,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
back in my auto detailing days, I used Burford's Pro Wax. Probably one of the longest lasting carnuba base waxes that I've ever seen, but then again ... pro auto detail suppliers have many similar products. One thing they all had in common was that they all required a lot of work to apply and buff out with a pro heavy duty buffer.

with today's clear coat finish systems, much depends upon the paint/coating system on your car as to which wax system may look the best.

I've seen some show oriented waxes that looked great upon application, but were very poor for keeping and maintaining a shine.

I've been using spray-on Nanowax (from O'Reilly's or similar auto parts stores) for cars in good condition. It's a very easy spray-on, wipe off product. Can do my car with it in about 40 minutes and it looks good. But it doesn't look like a product/system that will restore a faded or damaged surface. It works well on my airplane (painted with Centari or Imron) and has a "glow" look to the darker color stripe areas, and bugs just wash off from it with plain water. You might give this stuff a try. One bottle, by the way, has done my plane twice, so the stuff goes a long way.

I've tried just about every retail trade car wax made ... Meguiar's, Zymol, and similar products ... and none of them did any better job for me than the Nanowax, but all required a lot more work to apply (although all the retail type products were a lot easier to apply than the pro auto detail wax system). Excess product removal from crevices and around fasteners/rivets with these was a real chore, too. Also, they didn't last as long as the Nanowax.

Will the Nanowax work on your car for appearance and protection? only way to find out will be to try it. It may ... or may not. You may have to try several wax systems before you find the one that you like the best on your car.

I agree, I was going to say a good carnuba wax. I used to rub that into my Carrera and it would come out wet looking deep shine every time. I forget the name but a red bottle of carnuba.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:34 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
How often should you wax a car? Every six months?
I usually Polish / Wax mine about two or three times a year so that's probably why I prefer an easy on / easy off product.

Even once a year is better than buying the best polish available and leaving it to "collect dust" on a shelf in the garage.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:51 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
I absolutely love Griot's Garage products. I use their paint sealant once a year on my black car and also use Griot's Garage "Best Show Wax" twice a year, once in early fall and once in late spring. The Best Show Wax is a carnauba-based liquid wax that works great. They also have a Premium Carnauba Paste Wax but I have not used that yet. Give their site a look, they have great products that work great and still made in the US. It's a bit pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:52 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Zaino (It's a polish, not a wax).

Old 09-27-2014, 09:46 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
What car wax do you use? If you have a black car, are there car waxes specifically designed ( made) for black cars? How often should you wax a car?
Meguiar's now sells waxes specifically for black and white paint.

Do I believe that claim? Probably not. I've been detailing black cars for over 25 years, and I know that the payoff is in the prep work. If you clean and polish the paint correctly, you can use almost any quality wax to get spectacular results on black paint.

Here's black paint topped with Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax:

I wax this particular customer's car every three months. She drives it daily, and never parks it inside.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:28 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Do waxes have to generate so much dust? Is it a sign of using too much? And what about those white residues that end up on plastic trim pieces and are impossible to take off?

Old 09-27-2014, 10:30 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Forget waxes, use coatings such as CarPro CQuartz. Lasts a lot longer. We're talking years

Old 09-28-2014, 08:38 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Always used Meguire's products with good results. I was about twice a year (my cars are always garaged and parked inside).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive