Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:33 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times

Advertisements

I am not so sure. I don't think Pontiac had to go (their crappy late models had to go but not the brand). Hummer could have easily stayed and transformed itself. Hummer was strictly sacrificial lamb for the greens. Not sure about Saturn. Never thought they were any special. Ok, what's left? Oh, Oldsmobile. Well, that got canned before the bail out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 06:49 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
I don't think Pontiac had to go either.

Hummer....meh. The only thing I see people do with those is put big ugly rims on them and all sorts of gawd awful chrome.

Saturn, I'm not sure.

Oldsmobile could have stayed, but they needed a new/refreshed image.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:51 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
GM was smart enough to figure out that the Jersey Shore demographic for selling Hummers was over saturated and the housing market imploding made people think twice about buying an ugly **** ball.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:03 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
What would have been nice to see:

Pontiac: Sporty
Cadillac: Luxury
Saturn: Econocars
GMC: Trucks / Larger SUVs
Chevrolet: Mainstream Cars

I think one of the big problems GM has is offering way too many versions of the same vehicle.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:07 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
What would have been nice to see:

Pontiac: Sporty
Cadillac: Luxury
Saturn: Econocars
GMC: Trucks / Larger SUVs
Chevrolet: Mainstream Cars

I think one of the big problems GM has is offering way too many versions of the same vehicle.

That was kind of GM's business model (without Saturn) for decades. Chevy was entry level, Olds a bit more, Buick when you were comfortable, Cadillac when you'd really made it. Pontiac was for when your testosterone level started to drop.

Trucks were for farmers and blue collar trade guys. And duck hunters.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:10 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,534 times
I dunno. I think Buick should have been executed, there was too much Oldsmobile heritage.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:22 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,385,304 times
IMO, Pontiac is the only one that could have possibly survived if GM hadn't given in to dealer pressure for more volume, churning out rebadged crap like the G5 and G3. The G6 should have been better than it was. Dodge is rebranding itself to be what GM should have made Pontiac; more niche, uniquely American, and performance-oriented.

As much as I loved Olds, 30 years of misguided marketing and a stodgy name killed the brand off. It's sad, because Oldsmobile was producing some of GM' s best designs in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Too little, too late.

Saturn's whole purpose was to be a more friendly, no hassle dealer experience for younger or import car buyers. Why did they need to create a whole new brand to do that? This whole debacle resulted in Saturn consistently losing money throughout its lifetime. GM should have been applying this template to Chevrolet all along. It would have been money better spent to build a relationship with these customers through Chevrolet so they would eventually step up to GM's more premium brands.

Hummer never made sense to me. A Hummer-like vehicle could and should have been badged as GMC.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I don't think Pontiac had to go either.

Hummer....meh. The only thing I see people do with those is put big ugly rims on them and all sorts of gawd awful chrome.

Saturn, I'm not sure.

Oldsmobile could have stayed, but they needed a new/refreshed image.

Yea, those darn Hummers never leave the mall....

But having off-roaded Jeeps and Hummer H3s in Moab UT, I can say that my H3 was able to go on all trails that my Rubicon could and finish the trail.

But with GM going BK, and the fact that thanks to the new media Hummer became synonymous with bad fuel mileage, it was destined for the brand to die. Funny thing is, my Hummer got better miles (by about 2 mpg highway) than my Jeep Rubicon.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:39 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I would go the other way. GM is one, and maybe two divisions too heavy for what I think would make them the most efficient.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:01 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
I had no real love for Pontiac. 95% of stuff they made from 1990-End was crap. I don't know why people paid money to get such garbage interiors.

Hummer I would have liked to see stick around. The H1 and H2 were solid trucks. The H3 sucked with it's crappy little 5-Cyl engine.

Saturn started off well, but ended as a rebadge dumping bin.

At the time, I would have been fine with Buick being axed, but the stuff they are putting out now like the Enclave is decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive