Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:22 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I have been to Japan several times when I did consulting. They mainly copy american products and then improve them.

Japanese, cars, fridges, planes, stereos, cameras, TVs, smart phones etc are all just copies. They are extremely good at building things but lack imagination. Americans are very good at inventing things. The Japanese manufacturing economy would not exist without American no-how
At least in my profession (automotive interiors) I can attest to this. I actually said it in a previous post, we call it "Same as" , although I don't see much improvment...usually more complex and not as robust but still same as...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Not true. For example, Microsoft Windows has always been considered far inferior to Linux, which is a European development. Most processors today are ARM based which is a company from the UK. You make the same mistake like most Americans on these forums, you automatically assume everything is made or developed in the US while that is not true.

Not a single American car is for sale here(exception GM Volt) whereas there are plenty of European cars for sale in the US. That should say enough. I bet it is the same with Japan, they don't want your cars either but sell plenty of their own cars in the US.
This shows how little you really know about the automotive industry. Remember, assembly is WAY different than development and that is were you are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 12:23 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Your facts are completely amiss.

The regular gas Fusion is built in Hermosillo; the plug-in electric is built in Dearborn.

Mazda did not design the Ford Fusion platform. The 2006 Fusion was based on a stretched version Mazda platform, and re-engineered by Ford. The 2013 Fusion is on CD4, which is a Ford platform.

Those Detroit vehicles sure have been eating Toyota and Honda's lunch lately in terms of regained market share. It's ironic that 9 out of the top 10 vehicles that still use 4 and 5 speed autos are built by Toyota and Honda. It's pretty easy to be reliable when you use 10-15 year old tech and warmed over platforms.
Yeah, who would continue using 10-15 year old technology and platforms just because they are reliable, cost effective to manufacture, relatively easy to troubleshoot and repair, and still earn a very nice and steady profit?

Boy, those Japanese automakers are sure lazy and stupid.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:32 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

ARM isn't the platform for most serious computing. It is not used in business computing at all. Intel (and a bit of AMD, Motorola, and Fujitsu) own that. Intel had 65% of the microprocessor market in 2013. ARM-based processors had 3% (three). Not sure why you think most processors are ARM based. Lots of tiny, cheap processors doesn't mean they are the most significant.
That is pretty hilarious ignorance, all processors in smart-phones and tablets, and other embedded systems like those in cars are ARM based, there are over 50 billion ARM processors sold, which makes them the most produced processor by far. You wouldn't call processors in your car serious computing? Linux is considered superior to Windows actually. But aren't you changing topic from cars to processors because you know very well the US builds inferior cars compared to Europe and Japan?

Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Just to be clear - there are many fine European products. But the absence of American vehicles in European car dealers doesn't mean they aren't worthy. A Ford F150 will not be a success in Paris.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:43 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Yeah, who would continue using 10-15 year old technology and platforms just because they are reliable, cost effective to manufacture, relatively easy to troubleshoot and repair, and still earn a very nice and steady profit?

Boy, those Japanese automakers are sure lazy and stupid.

Not really , just not innovative.....

Oh and they have their fair share of problems as well... how old it the Tacoma platform ? They just recalled 700k of them.

I just wanted to add I'm speaking only from my experience with the two Asian OEM's I've worked for. Others might not be this way. Subaru seems to stand alone from the others. Also Toyota and the Prius was and still is the bar for hybrids that others aim for.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 09-30-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 12:55 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Not really , just not innovative.....

Oh and they have their fair share of problems as well... how old it the Tacoma platform ? They just recalled 700k of them.

I just wanted to add I'm speaking only from my experience with the two Asian OEM's I've worked for. Others might not be this way. Subaru seems to stand alone from the others. Also Toyota and the Prius was and still is the bar for hybrids that others aim for.
Subaru does stand alone and that is really the company I had in mind when I made my comment.

Last edited by phlinak; 09-30-2014 at 01:03 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 02:10 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
First off, the quality gap was in most cases the Japanese makers vs. everybody else.

At this point, Toyota has slipped a bit and Ford in particular has closed the gap.

The really stunning view is if you've ever gotten to see raw manufacturer data (*cough* purely hypothetical of course) and got to see just how much higher the average in-warranty costs were when they launched new platforms and worked to debug them. I'd never buy the first model year of a new launch. Ever.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:30 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
That's just wrong.....

The UK makes more cars per year then it ever did - thanks to the Japanese transplanted factories. The same is true for the US. The two best selling sedans in the US the camry and Accord are both built in the US.
The Jaguar has been bought and sold by allot of companies. They have been known for their Un reliability and other problems. Ford is happy to sell them to the India company Tata motors. Also there cheaper land rover is junk also.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:38 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
All I know be it GM of Europe or ford of Europe they are an american car maker and all the decisions come from Detroit or Dearborn Michigan end of story.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:59 PM

431 posts, read 599,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
All I know be it GM of Europe or ford of Europe they are an american car maker and all the decisions come from Detroit or Dearborn Michigan end of story.
Any evidence or source to back up this assertion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive