Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times

Advertisements

Can another state place a lien on your vehicle registration?

So, we take a trip last month from southern NV to Huntington Beach CA. Saw a couple of toll signs, pay online, web site, ezpay pass whathaveyou, no toll booths, some structure across the road with small cameras - forgot about it. Got The Toll Roads Notice of Toll Evasion violation letter. Two tolls - $3.75 and $2.84, each with a $57.50 late payment penalty! Pay by 10/16/14 $121.59, pay after 10/16 $206.59. s o a b.

I decieded to pay online, and they give me an amnesty on both penalty fees - I end up paying $6.59 on my cc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 09:49 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
So you're saying that you went through a toll zone where the only way to pay was by using an electronic payment system? No cash booths?

I'm having trouble believing that, although I agree that the penalty charges seem pretty outrageous.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:53 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm having trouble believing that,...
It got my attention. All done with cameras - date, time, license plate number.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:14 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
The tolls here in Denver (E-470) are all by cameras now. No more booths. They just take a picture of your license plate # and send you a bill. Of course never had to deal with the outrageous late fees like yours.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:32 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
The tolls here in Denver (E-470) are all by cameras now. No more booths. They just take a picture of your license plate # and send you a bill. Of course never had to deal with the outrageous late fees like yours.
We went through that toll road on our way to the East Coast and was gone 4+ months, they sent a notice of past due payment to our AZ house which sat there and when got back were dinged over $150.00. So if your traveling for a long period of time you can really get nailed when you get back home.
BTW we did not see a toll sign when we entered the rd and never realized we were on one. We did see the abandoned toll booths but thought that the road was returned back to a regular non-toll rd. On the eastern part of the country you stop and get a ticket and when you get off you stop and pay at a toll booth.
I read online that the Denver toll road has 1000's of drivers in the same situation as ours. Lots of complaints. A lot of people are moving through the state and don't receive those notices until months later.
Their signage, if any, is poor and their late fees very high. It's too bad as now we avoid Colorado altogether as we travel each year. It's their loss in tourism dollars. Others have mentioned the same. Not good publicity for CO.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:37 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Yeah, there was a very public outcry a few years back. Since then they have scaled back the late fees. I believe now it is "reasonable". We're talking $20-30 if past due 30 days or something along those lines.

E-470 is a major highway to get to the airport so a lot of rental cars get dinged. Makes it twice as bad as the rental agency will add on their own fee.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
So you're saying that you went through a toll zone where the only way to pay was by using an electronic payment system? No cash booths?

I'm having trouble believing that, although I agree that the penalty charges seem pretty outrageous.
We have a bridge that is electronic only, no booths, and out-of-state cars they get a free ride. On the other hand, we were in Vancouver BC Canada and went over an electronic-only and got the bill in the mail 2 months later, $5+ but no late fees. We paid it.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:56 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:

Why do you have trouble believing that? It's reality in several states already.

BTW, most of the time, if you go through one without an EZ-Pass, or whichever device your state uses, you can usually go online and pay it off before they send you the violation notice and avoid any fees.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:01 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:

The toll booths are going bye-bye.

5 things to know about cash-free toll roads - The Orange County Register

Old 09-30-2014, 03:27 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:

That's the way a lot of toll roads are now. I used to work for a toll road and by only accepting electronic toll tags, they eliminate the need for a large percentage of their human employees at the toll booths; in other words, people like me. The penalties are high, but if you call them and talk to them, they usually remove them as long as you pay the tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive