Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:19 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,060,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
The percentage of "synthetic" to be labeled as such is very small. Maybe 10%? All about Synthetic Motor Oil
The links stated, "The "synthetic" oil business is regarded by many in the oil industry as a "religion" whose followers are holding a belief that "synthetic" is somehow superior, but lack the actual proof."

There is actual proof that synthetic lubricants are superior in many ways. 100% mineral oils cannot get extended change intervals as many European versions of fully synthetics do. The high boil points mineral oils cannot reach. The cleanliness inside engines cannot be achieved by mineral oils. API do not mention synthetic, or anything else, just the protection an oil should give. How it is made is not their concern. I know of no 100% mineral oil that meets API SN.

The article is unbalanced and weighted for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 07:25 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,012 times
I thought it may not be the best link to provide.........you are correct, the slap was against Amsoil, that had the marketing program. I did not mean to suggest that synthetic is not the best. Years ago I had twin 6V53 Detroit diesels in a boat. I tried to use a farm store brand and had increase useage. Switched back to Shell Rotella and solved the problem. Living here in a cold winter climate I like synthetic because the pour point is better for cold starts.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:32 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
You really do not get it, but you got the SN on the can.
I do get it. You spent a week telling us how special your Toyota station wagon was because it's top speed was over 100 MPH.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I do get it. You spent a week telling us how special your Toyota station wagon was because it's top speed was over 100 MPH.
You never got it. The Toyota had a small engine that was fast and very economical. You were defending uneconomical cars with overlarge engines. You never got it.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:28 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
What about Group V oils like Redline? Are they not fully synthetic in the old school sense of the term?

That said, I'm not sure it makes any difference what feedstock you start with, what counts is the capability of the finished oil. One brand advertises they make the oil from natural gas rather than petroleum - I'm not inclined to think this is anything other than advertising hype.

I think the idea of using a Pennsylvania sourced crude is stuck in the '50's or earlier. Modern refining techniques can make a good lube oil out of most any crude.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:25 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
EXACTLY.

Why even think about saving a couple bucks buying store brands when you can get nationally reputable brands for a few bucks more? Everyone heard of Pennzoil, Quakerstate, Valvoline, Mobil but I doubt most people know Supertech.

If you are hurting for money and $2-$5 is an issue then you shouldn't own a vehicle.
Yep, wouldn't use Penzoil if I had to.. I use to work on Panteras and one of the Mechanics there use to work for one of the Indy car crews.. Their major sponsor was Penzoil.. According to the rules you had to use the sponsor product in your vehicle... They used the least amount they could get away with.... Becuae it caused a hard varnish inside the engine...

His dad also worked on one of the crews that STP sponsored and they used as little as they could.....

So just cause it is a brand name doesn't make it any better than as off brand at times

Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Yep, wouldn't use Penzoil if I had to.. I use to work on Panteras and one of the Mechanics there use to work for one of the Indy car crews.. Their major sponsor was Penzoil.. According to the rules you had to use the sponsor product in your vehicle... They used the least amount they could get away with.... Becuae it caused a hard varnish inside the engine...

His dad also worked on one of the crews that STP sponsored and they used as little as they could.....

So just cause it is a brand name doesn't make it any better than as off brand at times
Pennzoil is a quality oil that is trusted by a lot of people and recommended by mechanics all over. You're right the brand name doesn't make it better then the off brands...independent lab tests prove it's better. If you read the data on Pennzoil vs Supertech conventional oil you will see what is better. The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

I also just read Dr. Robert Sutherland of Pennzoil is one of the worlds leading engine oil chemists and helped develop the latest GF-5 standard for motor oils.

That's another reason for me to trust Pennzoil as a quality product.

Last edited by eddie1278; 10-03-2014 at 08:37 PM..

Old 10-03-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Pennzoil is a quality oil that is trusted by a lot of people and recommended by mechanics all over. You're right the brand name doesn't make it better then the off brands...independent lab tests prove it's better. If you read the data on Pennzoil vs Supertech conventional oil you will see what is better. The Petroleum Quality Institute of America
Interesting site. There are a few mineral oils that do meet API SN. That does not mean they are equal to a fully synthetic oil.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:03 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:

I also just read Dr. Robert Sutherland of Pennzoil is one of the worlds leading engine oil chemists and helped develop the latest GF-5 standard for motor oils.

That's another reason for me to trust Pennzoil as a quality product.
Where's the data? I've yet to see any proof that Pennzoil is better than Supertech (not really an "off brand" as it's made by Warren Distribution).

The only thing that I feel is somewhat certain is that SN GF5 oils regardless of brand will perform 99.99% the same. Supertech and conventional Penzoil are both SN GF5 oils. Any other claims are probably just marketing or in this case, someone blindly shouting that what they like is #1!!!!.

Change your oil every 5-10k and no automobile motor oil sold by Walmart will cause you problems. Your car will probably fall apart before you have an engine problem that can be linked to the motor oil used.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Where's the data? I've yet to see any proof that Pennzoil is better than Supertech (not really an "off brand" as it's made by Warren Distribution).
This site is interesting. They test oils giving their results in conforming to what is on the can.
The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Some 100% mineral oils meet API SN. A big but, they only appear to test the oil when new. MIneral oils can serious degrade after 1,000-1,5000 miles. Testing is needed after 2,000, 5,000 miles, 9,000 miles, etc, in normal mixed driving, putting the fresh oil in, in mid-winter. Then you may find that the mineral API SN oils in a short time would not keep up with fully synthetics and some of the none branded synthetic oils would not keep up with the top branded makes after 9,000 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive