Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Best-'89 Toyota Corolla, still being driven with well over 200,000 miles on it, only 'repair' was to replace the starter once. Got about 45 mpg highway, 35 city. Excellent car.

Worst-'93 Mercury Villager--something was ALWAYS going wrong with that van. Hated that thing but at the time, it was the best option for a family with 3 kids in car seats .

Most FUN---69 Cougar--that thing was like driving a TANK. It got us through many snowdrifts but boy did it suck gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 PM

137 posts, read 424,458 times
Worst: 1989 Ford Probe. It was fun to drive but a lot of problems with that car.

Best: 2001 Lexus IS 300. No explanation needed

Old 01-10-2008, 12:23 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Worst: 1979 Saab. Love/hate relationship. Loved driving that car. Best highway car I've ever owned. Hated having something go wrong every week and trying to find someone that could actually work on it.

Best: Toss up, all Nissans. 1990 Stanza (not Sentra. I do that a lot!) my wife bought so she'd have a car that fit her, not us. 1995 Maxima. I'm still driving it, for now. Looking to replace it, but if I keep getting jerked around by dealers I'm going to keep it. 2003 Maxima. Wife's car. A tank! The single most solid feeling car I've ever driven. All three: Never need fixing until after you expect it if you know what I mean. Things I had to have done in a year take three or four on these. Some things I always expected to go out, don't. Amazing vehicles. Notice we kept her Stanza for 13 years, and mine is 12. The only reason the Sentra went away was safety. She was on the road a lot and the 90 didn't have all the airbags, ABS, etc.

Our local dealer is turning out to be not so good this time around. I might end up at Toyota for a Camry Hybrid. I like the idea of the mileage since I expect $6.99 gasoline within the next few years.
I sure wish that the Stanza's would get more recognition, those were really great cars, I even encouraged my brother to get a 1991 Stanza that was on sale for $1300 just over a year ago, he was looking at getting another vehicle.

I really like the Nissan Maxima's, those are really great cars, I sure hope to God gas prices won't get up to $7 per gallon anytime soon.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:24 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,100,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Best-'89 Toyota Corolla, still being driven with well over 200,000 miles on it, only 'repair' was to replace the starter once. Got about 45 mpg highway, 35 city. Excellent car.

Worst-'93 Mercury Villager--something was ALWAYS going wrong with that van. Hated that thing but at the time, it was the best option for a family with 3 kids in car seats .

Most FUN---69 Cougar--that thing was like driving a TANK. It got us through many snowdrifts but boy did it suck gas.
What was the engine/transmission for your '69 Cougar? Was your Corolla a 5 speed or an automatic?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 AM

38 posts, read 134,554 times
Best, the Honda CRV I have right now. Has never left me stranded, and has been on many roadtrips through mountains, snow, wind, rain, and has handled like an 8 cylindar. It's my 4th honda, and I'll never buy anything else.

Worst, a tie between the Eagle Premier (88 I think, but they only made them for 2 years and they got Consumer Reports "worst car on the market" both years.) Last time I ever asked my dad to help me shop for a car. It occurred to me later that he was a white collar guy, and always paid someone to change the oil in his own car. He did his best. The other was an Opal Cadet. I had to carry a 5-gallon water bottle with me for the radiator, the gas gage didn't work so I had to keep a log book and figure gas mileage, and I had to pull fuses to get the thing to turn off, and eventually could start it with a steak knife when I misplaced my keys. Gotta love those german cars!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 04:08 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,404 times
Worst: '85 Mercury Topaz. It didn't even last 25k before I was forced to trade in for another car. A week after driving it off the lo, I turned on A/C and it destroyed the engine!

At 20k, engine had to be replaced because there were metal shavings inside the engine. Fit quality was ****-poor. Map lights fell off the first time I used it, the steering wheel cover were peeling apart from the summer sun.

The best: '94 Ford Explorer. 142k and counting. Ford did something right with the Explorers.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:57 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,963 times
worst: 1985 chrysler lebaron always needed work. every month it was in the shop

best: 1981? 200sx never needed anything, fun to drive good gas mileage
my hubby still has his first car. 1991 izuzu impulse. 240k miles and we dont put more than $200 a year in it.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 AM

49 posts, read 220,325 times
Worst: My 85 Mustang GT, the car has a 351 Cleveland instead of a Windsor not my call I bought it that way. I've owned the car 7 almost 8 years well over 20 grand invested and counting and only 500 miles drive time in return. Not a good ratio!

Best: 2001 Sunfire bought new, just flipped 116,000 miles with the only problems being a water pump replaced @ 75,000 miles. New tires and brakes @ 60,000, a tune up at 100,000 still gets 29 miles to the gallon.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:21 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Best - 1998 Honda Civic DX. My very first ever new car. Filed for divorce, bought myself a new car. As a suddenly single mom of 4 who'd never had to do a thing to a car on her own, it got very little in the line of maintenance. I think every 25k miles I'd remember to get the oil changed. That thing still ran perfect with 150k miles on it when I traded it for our Odyssey when hubby and I got married. Awesome little car.

However - the Odyssey and the '04 Civic EX we bought were both electrical nightmares. So, not sure what the story is there.

Worst - by very far a Ford Taurus. I swear that car hated me and wanted me dead. It would be fine and die for no reason. I'd go to stop and suddenly, no brakes. The motor blew. The tranny went. It seemed it like it was a daily thing with that car. Hated it!

Now I have an 01 Eclipse GT. Paid $5k for it when they were selling for more than double that. You'd think that would have been a flag that it had problems right? nope - not to me. I wound up sinking another $8k in that thing in the first 12 months I had it. It runs great now and I still think it's about the cutest darn car ever made. It's going to be my daughter's 16th birthday present this April and I'm getting myself a TransAm.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:50 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Worst: 1994 Chevy S-10 --> It broke down w/i a week of buying it!

Best: 1991 Toyota Camry --> still being driven w/ 244,000 miles on it, has had very few problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive