Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 02:59 AM

10 posts, read 30,086 times

Advertisements

Confused !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 06:02 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,772,235 times
When someone presents a long list of issues with their car which was purchased new then I tend to think they owner is part of the problem for allowing needed repairs to accumulate.

The economics of a car replacement are everywhere on the Internet in the financial assistance sites. Logic tree using present value, replacement costs, repair costs, ownership duration,etc..

If you want to save your car you need to get onto Hyundai forums in the Sonata section for that model year and visit the tech section for sound information.

No mechanic who is capable will say something is "shot". You should have detailed estimates of what parts are needed.

So where are the Hyundai lovers I see every now and then in this forum subsection?

Old 10-05-2014, 07:41 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,427,882 times
My best advice: trade the car in for a used Toyota.

Why people bother with these Hyundais and Kias and whatevers, I don't know. You're obviously unhappy with it, and that's all that matters. I don't blame you. Resolve that your next vehicle will have better engineering and will last a long while, and be cheap to keep.

Happy motoring!

Old 10-05-2014, 09:01 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,138,878 times
Are you sure it's 56K, and not 156K, or 560K? I had a 2008 Sonata, and while there was a clunk from the right rear on heavy bumps I had no trouble with the car in the 77K I owned it. It was as utterly boring and reliable as any Toyota or Honda. BTW, that noise from the RR is apparently a a "feature" on these cars, the forums tell us they all do that.
As for when to swap it out, well if it's paid for and still running well, it's going to be hard to justify making payments again. Even if you spent $2K on getting the suspension done and a couple hundred on the window, that's just about a good down payment and then you'll be back to $350 or more a month plus the sales tax, increased cost of insurance and registration, etc. In the end though, only you can put a price on "I don't like this car".

Old 10-05-2014, 09:03 AM

6,255 posts, read 16,972,344 times
I'd say trade it in on another Honda Accord. You're familiar with the brand and you had a good experience with your last car.

We've owned a Hyundai before, a 2007 as well in fact, and while the cars look and perform great when new, they also tend to fall apart rather quickly at around the 5 year mark. Long term quality/reliability just isn't there for Hyundai yet.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:57 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,210,432 times
[At what point does the economics of a new car make sense?]

When reliability is a *must* - you can't afford to have break-downs.

One extreme might be a doctor - might need to rush to the hospital and must have a dependable car. The other extreme might be a retired person - all the time in the world to call a tow truck, etc.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,080,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Are you sure it's 56K, and not 156K, or 560K? I had a 2008 Sonata, and while there was a clunk from the right rear on heavy bumps I had no trouble with the car in the 77K I owned it. It was as utterly boring and reliable as any Toyota or Honda. BTW, that noise from the RR is apparently a a "feature" on these cars, the forums tell us they all do that.
As for when to swap it out, well if it's paid for and still running well, it's going to be hard to justify making payments again. Even if you spent $2K on getting the suspension done and a couple hundred on the window, that's just about a good down payment and then you'll be back to $350 or more a month plus the sales tax, increased cost of insurance and registration, etc. In the end though, only you can put a price on "I don't like this car".
Nope, 56k.

I agree with you that it's better to take the hit on having it repaired than to make a down payment then deal with car payments.

I did have written estimates done on the suspension. Last year. Right around the time I got laid off from my job. So, dropping a grand or two on my still-running car wasn't a priority for me; I think everyone here can understand that rationale even though they might not agree with it.

Even in this economy and this so-called "hot" local job market, it's taken me a year to get my feet back under me and into a relatively stable job situation (a contract that they want to convert to perm) so fixing the car is back on the cards as a possibility. I had plenty of savings, but I had no idea how long this bench period would last so I sequestered everything I could and scrimped everywhere possible to make my savings stretch so I could continue to pay my mortgage and my other bills.

I still have a year and a half of bill money saved, and I never touched my retirement...so I'm OK for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I'd say trade it in on another Honda Accord. You're familiar with the brand and you had a good experience with your last car.

We've owned a Hyundai before, a 2007 as well in fact, and while the cars look and perform great when new, they also tend to fall apart rather quickly at around the 5 year mark. Long term quality/reliability just isn't there for Hyundai yet.
I think you're right there. The Hyundai was a good deal and had very good reviews, so I took a chance. I should have bought a Honda. I think when I buy another car, it'll be another Honda.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:30 AM

245 posts, read 302,532 times
after you get your second million. It doesn't really make sense", but with that kind of money backing you up, you can afford to take the $10,000 loss, of full coverage insurance, required shafting by dealer maintenance and repair, etc.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:42 PM

4,294 posts, read 7,159,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
[At what point does the economics of a new car make sense?]

When reliability is a *must* - you can't afford to have break-downs.

One extreme might be a doctor - might need to rush to the hospital and must have a dependable car. The other extreme might be a retired person - all the time in the world to call a tow truck, etc.
For individuals who need to be someplace at an appointed time on a regular basis, or who are subject to being called into action on a moment's notice (like your doctor example), reliability trumps economic factors, particularly if the individual does not have another vehicle at their disposal.

An older model vehicle with a lot of miles, even thought it may have a lot of useful life left, and even though repairs may cost less than a new (or newer) vehicle, is useless to an owner in the above examples, if it is sitting in a shop, awaiting repairs.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:47 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,299,358 times
When you want to customize the car to your liking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive