Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:31 PM

14 posts, read 19,514 times

Advertisements

Hey,
So I am going to reduce my budget, as I don't want to spend as much on a car.

So I saw many of ads on craigslist offering "Salvage" title cars... many are small accidents (ofc I will have a mechanic run everything through before buying any). What are your opinions on such cars? And suggestions? tips?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 09:39 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Salvage car = money pit. There are so many poorly repaired and flooded salvage cars out there it just is not worth the $$.

My daughter had one and she had to dump it after putting in 1000's of dollars when things started falling apart mechanically and electrically going wrong after about 30 days of operation.

There's usually a reason that they are salvaged and some insurance companies won't insure them.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,084,469 times
I'd avoid a salvaged title unless you actually know the history of the car (it was a friend's or relative's).

You could luck out, but it also be a huge money pit with problem after problem.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
I bought one about ten years ago and just sold it recently. Was as good as any car I've purchased however I never would of purchased it had they not had the pictures from the damage. I was literally walking away after seing it was painted when they pulled out the pictures. The damage was from a deer, you can tell because there was no scratches and it was pushed in as opposed to smashed. Bumper, front quarter panel, grille, lights and the rear quarter on the same side. Apprently the deer spun around and whacked the back side of the car.

Whoever fixed the body damage did a fine job, there was only one minor rust spot on the back quarter when I sold it. I still had the pictures which made it really easy to sell. I actually used them in the CL posting.

That said I wold never buy one without that information because without it you don't what you're getting.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:20 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaLA View Post
Hey,
So I am going to reduce my budget, as I don't want to spend as much on a car.

So I saw many of ads on craigslist offering "Salvage" title cars... many are small accidents (ofc I will have a mechanic run everything through before buying any). What are your opinions on such cars? And suggestions? tips?

Thanks
Imo most are slapped together. Once in a while you find someone who fixed one right. But even then you still have a salvaged vehicle you may have trouble unloading when it comes time to move to something else.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:08 AM

658 posts, read 724,769 times
I would definitely stay away from it. Doesn't matter how much you think you can save in the beginning...your budget will be impacted right after buying a salvaged car. I made a huge mistake on this, so my advice to you is stay away and buy a regular used car instead.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:45 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
This question has been answered numerous times at great length. The search feature is your friend.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:29 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Stay away. You might get a good deal, but on the other end when you sell it your resale will be lower as well.

Friend bought a salvage car and had so many issues with it. It was involved in an accident but we couldn't figure out where. One day we finally located a main body harness that had been pinched and some of the wiring was damaged. This was never repaired before. Just one reason why i avoid salvage cars unless I KNOW what it was salvaged for.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:43 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
I love salvage title vehicles, but I do my own car maintenance.

If you can get a salvage title car from a rebuilder make sure you get the pre repair photos off an auction site. Just google the VIN #.

I recently got a nice 4WD SUV that was salvage titled for around 50% of FMV with low miles. All it needed from the accident was a rear hatch. Damage was above the frame rails and the everything lined up good post repair.

You can find deals.

NEVER buy a salvage titled vehicle where you cannot know the history of the car.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:40 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
You can't really say if cars with salvage titles as a whole are a good or bad deal. Newer, higher value cars that were totaled generally were hit hard, or in a flood, other serious damage, and probably you should avoid them. But an older car with low book value might be totaled for just minor front end damage, stuff that can be repaired 100% by replacing the bent tin with straight tin from a yard and spray the "doghouse" - bada bing, bada boom.

Any car totaled for body damage, I would really like to see photos of the car as it was damaged, before repair. A photo album of the repair job - not necessarily elaborate, just a few shots of as damaged, what was stripped off, what was replaced, what was repaired (particularly I would like to know how deep any Bondo on it is) would go a long way towards selling me on the car.

Same thing with cars with very high mileage. People who don't really know cars will shy away, but a car that's seen a lot of highway miles, with good maintenance, can still be in decent shape with 200, 300K or more. But again only people who really know how to evaluate the actual condition of the car in front of them will buy these.

Final note - listen to your gut. If a car with a "story", salvage title or not, gives you the willies for whatever reason - don't buy it. You don't owe the seller an explanation of this, just say "no, thanks" and beat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive