Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Guys, mostly, have been lowering cars since the 1950's, at least. Mercury's, Hudson's, Fords, etc. You name it. Some of them were so low you could not slide a pack of cigarettes under them. The only diffence is that there were no hydraulics. That's a more recent thing.
one of the reasons that hydraulics were installed in the first place was due to local law enforcement enforcing ride height laws. the first systems pumped 6000psi through 3000psi test lines. some said it got very interesting when they were raising the car and worrying if the lines would rupture or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 12:48 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
As we are quickly moving towards series-hybrids, having a heavy battery set slung low gives a greater lower centre of gravity and promotes safety. Tyres are too wide creating far too much friction. Taller wheels look good on a car. Modern type technology can give the same grip with thinner tyres. Thinner, taller wheels has many advantages, one being that they do not intrude too much into the passenger/luggage areas of the cabin. A smaller Wankel engine, being one third of the size and weight of a piston engine, as the range extender, also gives great packaging maximizing interior space.

WHAT???!!! I don't know what that had to do with anything...was it a drive thru troll???

Old 10-06-2014, 12:56 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
one of the reasons that hydraulics were installed in the first place was due to local law enforcement enforcing ride height laws. the first systems pumped 6000psi through 3000psi test lines. some said it got very interesting when they were raising the car and worrying if the lines would rupture or not.
Yes, even in the movie American Graffiti John Milner gets question by police about his front end ride height. In 1981 I got a ticket for my traction bars hanging below the rims, so I removed them, got the ticket signed off, and painted them flat black and put them back on.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:19 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Though I think them to be atrocious looking and curse the fact the OEM geometry of the car is forever altered, I would rather see them restored as such than rusting in the woods, someone's yard or a junkyard.

A donk shares the dumb stage along with tuner cars with aftermarket junk stuck to them. How many Japanese cars came stock with cheap plastic adhesive ovals which loosely mimic those of Buicks from decades ago? Fake adhesive hood scoops?

Why are rims more important than the general overall mechanical health of a car? I have seen POS old cars riding around on Connestoga wheels looking like Shriners in a circus. Oops...can't forget the dual exhaust systems. Why didn't the owner spend an extra $2K on a better used car raher than slapping $2K worth of crap on it?

The beauty in these scenarios?? People eventually want to sell these cars and want to recoup the investment they made while assembling a mess the majority of people will not touch. I might have been interested in the original car before it was chopped, sprayed, lowered and pimped. Though I know they aren't. I hope most of them are junkyard revivals.

There is nothing like looking for a classic car and every one you see has been modded to the point you need walk away or hurl chunks.

You hear stuff like... "I had plans to do this and that but funds ran low so I put it off". OK, you had no idea of what you were doing and ruined the car.

It's been modded but comes with the original parts...you keep the POS.

It just needs minor bodywork....a new body.

I can't find a 20 year old luxury car that hasn't been ruined by some idiots. Why does a car need a 12" TV screen in the dash? If not that, why 2 12" subs in the trunk and other wiring you must remove? I don't even listen to the radio. Phone in the car? Only if it's off. If it needs to be used the car is pulled off the road and parked.

It's hell being middle aged and appreciative of cars for what they were before everything in life became synonomous with cartoons and video games.

Has anyone seen a Hot Wheels toy car as of recent? They aren't even cars. They are abominations on wheels.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:52 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Take the time to watch this.

1963 Impala - YouTube

Old 10-06-2014, 02:01 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Though I think them to be atrocious looking and curse the fact the OEM geometry of the car is forever altered, I would rather see them restored as such than rusting in the woods, someone's yard or a junkyard.

A donk shares the dumb stage along with tuner cars with aftermarket junk stuck to them. How many Japanese cars came stock with cheap plastic adhesive ovals which loosely mimic those of Buicks from decades ago? Fake adhesive hood scoops?

Why are rims more important than the general overall mechanical health of a car? I have seen POS old cars riding around on Connestoga wheels looking like Shriners in a circus. Oops...can't forget the dual exhaust systems. Why didn't the owner spend an extra $2K on a better used car raher than slapping $2K worth of crap on it?

The beauty in these scenarios?? People eventually want to sell these cars and want to recoup the investment they made while assembling a mess the majority of people will not touch. I might have been interested in the original car before it was chopped, sprayed, lowered and pimped. Though I know they aren't. I hope most of them are junkyard revivals.

There is nothing like looking for a classic car and every one you see has been modded to the point you need walk away or hurl chunks.

You hear stuff like... "I had plans to do this and that but funds ran low so I put it off". OK, you had no idea of what you were doing and ruined the car.

It's been modded but comes with the original parts...you keep the POS.

It just needs minor bodywork....a new body.

I can't find a 20 year old luxury car that hasn't been ruined by some idiots. Why does a car need a 12" TV screen in the dash? If not that, why 2 12" subs in the trunk and other wiring you must remove? I don't even listen to the radio. Phone in the car? Only if it's off. If it needs to be used the car is pulled off the road and parked.

It's hell being middle aged and appreciative of cars for what they were before everything in life became synonomous with cartoons and video games.

Has anyone seen a Hot Wheels toy car as of recent? They aren't even cars. They are abominations on wheels.
Ah, another closed minded hater. I hope when my '63 Comet is done, people like you have apoplexy.

I'd hate to be as boring and as closed off as you are.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:04 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
IMO, one of the dumbest things I see every winter is a 4x4 pickup with "all season" tires and no weight in the bed!
The words "dumb", "stupid", and "ridiculous" come to mind, but none of them are severe enough!

Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
LOL I agree with your whole post, but this line just had me laughing.

I remember when I still owned my Stealth twin turbo. The Stealth/3000GT had the twin turbo versions, but they also had some "bargain" versions too. Kids started buying up the bargain basement versions, turning them into rolling rice mobiles and it gave the cars a bad rep. After another 5-10 years, even the turbo versions were now in reach of kids buying them and modifying them poorly. Now it's very hard to find a pristine twin turbo example that hasn't been beat on, modded, or had any proper maintenance done to it.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:17 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Ah, another closed minded hater.
I don't think he's being closed minded at all. There's a huge difference between tastefully modding a car and keeping up the maintenance and fixing things that need to be fixed, vs ricing out a car and neglecting to do maintenance or make any needed repairs and just driving them into the ground.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:20 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Kind of a toss up between low rider cars and those mega lifted trucks. I was behind one the other day and I could read the license plate of the car in front of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive