Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 04:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllyam View Post
What was the saying? "It's not the age...it's the mileage!"
No. Eventually, age matters more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 06:58 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No. Eventually, age matters more.
Perhaps if you are speaking of something in the range of 75+ years old, but that type of reference would be irrelevant for the vintage OP is referring to.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:56 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
I have an old car that was low mileage though not as extreme (14 year old and 74k miles). Problems I have had from what I can remember:

1) Leaky axle
2) Rear half of the exhaust system soon got rusted and needed to replaced including muffler. Front half is holding up though rather rusted
3) What holds the brake rotors for several brakes needed to be replaced, mainly due to rust.
4) O2 Sensor

Then there were some other minor things. On the plus side, the car runs great but the age is not a minor factor.
Skipped over this when I posted earlier. Exactly my point. In MA the salt used to melt the icy roads causes a lot of rust damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Perhaps if you are speaking of something in the range of 75+ years old, but that type of reference would be irrelevant for the vintage OP is referring to.
Salt starts to cause rust damage at 6-7 years.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I'm confused what you're trying to say. A 20 year old low mileage car is liable to have problems unless lucky.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:24 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
I have a couple of '89 Nissan trucks and had a '95 Pathfinder. Rust is a problem on older Nissans. A 2000 isn't that old though. On older vehicles the problem areas could be: brakes, cv boots, brake lines (rust), brake master cylinder, radiator and hoses, fuel tank leaks due to rust. I tend to encounter fuel gauge issues on older cars and sometimes speedometer/tach issues. Other: tire rot, door locks, mirrors, electric windows, cruise control and the AC may fail. Brake bleeder screws get rusted in place. Vacuum lines will rot. Sometimes there are electrical issues due to corroded connectors. There may be valve cover gasket leaks or oil pan leaks. Have had transmission fluid leaks and trouble with hoses lines carrying transmission fluid to the cooling at the bottom of the radiator. May need a new fuel filter. The good part is that all of these things generally do not happen at the same time. I wouldn't worry about a 2000 as long as the body isn't rusty.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 PM

Are Nissans more rust prone than other makes?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:11 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Are Nissans more rust prone than other makes?
I don't know, but I think certain makes ARE more rust prone than other makes. For example Honda's corrosion warranty only covers 5 years. It's no coincidence that my catalytic converter heat shields started rattling and fell off at 6-7 years old on 2 different Hondas I've owned. Also in year 7 I had several brake parts replaced on my Ridgeline due to rust and in year 8 the mount for my trailer brake plug fell off due to rust. On the other hand, Audi has a 12 year corrosion warranty, presumably due to higher quality materials that don't rust as easily.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:34 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
I am just getting ready to sell "my Sunday Go-To-Church Car": (being in my 83rd year, gettin' rid of my toys)

......a 1996 Jaguar XJS 2+2 Convertible with 48,000 ORIGINal miles. New tires just 1500 miles ago; 4L Double O.H. Valve, 6 cyl engine, auto 4 speed Trans............Bought from original owner 7 years ago..........never been in any state where salt was used for winter weather......in fact, never driven in winter weather (other than south GA) and Always Garaged, ALL leather interior....beautiful wood steering wheel and other wood interior accents-----ALL ORIGINAL......also have original WINDOW Sales Sticker that lists all the accessories: This car is loaded and is a beautiful Metallic Jade Green------------overall 99% Plus condition!! What should I ask???

Old 10-08-2014, 01:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
If the paint is falling off $5k seems high to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with age as long as the vehicle was properly maintained, Silver007.
True but once you get around that age you start having troubles. Things that are rubber start to fail, hoses can be an issue, probably has the factory belt(s), brake lines should probably be replaced if you live where they salt the roads. etc.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
The best way to determine if the price is fair is to do a Kelly Blue Book estimate. Make sure the engine is the original engine and this car is not a rebuilt title. If the car was taken care of and truly has only 47K miles you shouldn't have any real replacement's needed besides the usual wear and tear items.

I bought a 98' Corolla 3 years back with 70K miles. But I made sure to take a mechanic friend of mine to check out the car top to bottom. Since I bought it, it hasn't given me a single problem besides replacing the positive battery wire. The rest were wear and tear items such as tires, break pads, spark plugs, coolant and valve cover. I HIGHLY recommend you have a mechanic check it out before you purchase. Old cars like this can be a gem of a purchase but only if you buy knowing the car has no major problems. Everything I mentioned above cost me approximately $1,060 to fix. For a car with only 47K miles most of what I mentioned for my car should still be in good shape with no need for replacement.
Thank you Giffon, for the advice you gave me. This have just made me feel more confident purchasing it. But how do you if you're gonna ripped off by the mechanics ? I've never been to the mechanic before and I barely know about automotive. Is there any way that you can spot a fraud scheme from a mechanic ?

Also, a friend of mine is planning to get a 98 Accord, 140k on the odo with the price of 3,5k. Is the price a bit expensive for that kind of car ? (My friend checked and tested drive the car, everything seems ok) But is it a good deal ?

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive