Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:33 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,695 times

Advertisements

hey guys, so I washed my car today at the local car wash and it looks like the front of the car hasn't been washed at all. The problem is stuck on bugs, tar and just road debris. I haven't washed my car in weeks due to all of the rain and now it seems I need a solution to get this stuff off. Any suggestions? I need something that won't strip either paint nor clear coat. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 11:50 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
You can purchase a bug and tar remover at any auto part store. You can also use Bleche-White, but be warned you need to rinse it off immediately and will likely need to wax the area again afterwards. I've had good success doing this over the years. And it takes a lot of elbow grease. I'd avoid abrasive wash pads.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You can purchase a bug and tar remover at any auto part store. You can also use Bleche-White, but be warned you need to rinse it off immediately and will likely need to wax the area again afterwards. I've had good success doing this over the years. And it takes a lot of elbow grease. I'd avoid abrasive wash pads.
Thanks for the suggestion. Is the bug and tar remover from the auto parts store any good? I was hoping to use some type of diy method (homemade solution), I'm hesitant about the bleach method you suggested. That kinda sounds scary.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:03 PM

It's not necessarily bleach..... the product is to clean tires. It does however, work well at removing bugs and tar.

The bug and tar remover works fine, but just keep in mind all of these chemicals are harsher chemicals and should be thorougly washed off immediately after cleaning. And I highly recommend waxing at least the affected areas afterwards.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Is the bug and tar remover from the auto parts store any good? I was hoping to use some type of diy method (homemade solution), I'm hesitant about the bleach method you suggested. That kinda sounds scary.
Stoner's makes a pretty good product that is readily available at most auto parts stores.

Stoner Tarminator removes bug residue, tar, tree sap, gum and more from automotive surfaces! bug & tar remover, auto spot cleaner, car bug & tar

Duragloss and Surf City also make similar products that are very good but would be more difficult to find.

Duragloss Bug Remover (BR) #471

Surf City Garage Road Trip Grime Destroyer | Product Details | Pep Boys

Old 10-06-2014, 12:07 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,767,554 times
Acetone and a clean, soft rag. Do not rub too hard, a fine rag WILL scratch paint. Used by boat detailers for decades.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:09 PM

Acetone will work, but is a lot more harsh than Bleche-White and bug/tar remover. However, it IS an option as long as you remember that it will strip off whatever wax or sealant is on the paint.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:15 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,863,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
My vote goes to Stoner's Tarminator. It's probably the most popular bug and tar remover with detailing pros and enthusiasts, and is completely safe, both to you and your paint.

Acetone is an absolutely horrible idea. It softens paint and is often used to remove paint. Just because it's safe on gel-coat doesn't mean you want to put it on your paint.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:26 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I was hoping to use some type of diy method (homemade solution)
For a DIY solution, try baby oil or "Skin so Soft" on a soft rag. It'll remove both bugs and tar.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It's not necessarily bleach..... the product is to clean tires. It does however, work well at removing bugs and tar.

The bug and tar remover works fine, but just keep in mind all of these chemicals are harsher chemicals and should be thorougly washed off immediately after cleaning. And I highly recommend waxing at least the affected areas afterwards.
Oh gotcha. Lol. Thought you were suggesting I mix a solution of bleach and water. Thank god you clarified. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive