Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:10 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
So, what happens then?

Take your car to the shop, get the estimate and then what? The auto body shop isn't going to release the car until they're paid. But the car is driveable....so, you bring the car to get fixed and then the insurance company hemms and haws and your car is sitting there for days when they "Get around" to paying the fix it shop?
I got rear-ended on the interstate one day.. Which, is pretty dang much a slam-dunk the other person is at fault if there ever is a slam-dunk at-fault situation.

Their insurance called me within a day and gave me a shop to take it to that was good by them and by my insurance (Vehicle was 3 months old at that point, so my insurance had a say in where it would get repaired since it was under comprehensive with them) and a car rental place to pick up a rental car from while mine was being repaired.

They paid the rental car company directly, they paid the repair shop directly. I never fronted a dime.

This was in my current vehicle, which is a Colorado truck.. His insurance was quite nice about it.. They were trying to find a place that rented trucks so that i'd still have a truck while mine was being repaired.. I told them to not worry about it, that so long as they didn't put me in something i'd have to fold myself up to get into, I was fine with it..

So long as the other company accepts responsibility.. No problems. And, the other insurance company will tell YOU where to take the vehicle. It has to be one of their approved shops.. Now, if you go outside of their approved shops.. Then they may not directly pay.. You may get reimbursed.. But, more likely, they'd cut the check made out to you and the insurance company, send the check to you, and that's used as payment to get your car from the repair shop. You don't sign the check over to the shop until repairs have been completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 10:18 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Someone hit my car about 1 month ago, they caused a dent and scratching on the left rear quarter panel. The person did not stop, so I reported the hit and run to the police and to my insurance company, I had uninsured coverage, but I still had to fork out 500 bucks for the repair. I still need to contact the police and insurance company to see if they were ever able to catch the person (I took the license plate). In the event they catch the person they will either go after the persons insurance company for the payment of the repair or the person themselves if they do not have insurance, usually it is a huge lengthy process that only sometimes comes out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive