Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times

Advertisements

Political Science: Does the structure create this attitude or does the attitude create the structure?
Police Academies were supposed to be designed to eliminate people who wanted to be cops for all the wrong reasons.
Instead, we ended up with "Training Day".??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 10:26 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
I guess this is easy for me to say behind a keyboard, that said--how about, I don't know, just flat-out refusing to hand it over? Something like "your ass ain't getting it, and I'd like to see you try." I mean, what's the point of being cooperative, if it doesn't get you anywhere? You can't resist this? I'm sorry, but I think I would resist. No way they are going to stroll up to me and I just hand it over--not without a fight, even if I'm bound to lose. (And yes, again, I understand, it's easy for me to say this vs actually doing it.)

And film it, have the video go "viral," and then sue the heck out of them.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Yes, I do know someone who lost their cars, house, bank accounts, and businesses to civil forefeiture.

However, he is guilty as hell. I know he is because I witnessed the illegal activity. I am not a witness in the ongoing investigation and I haven't been subpoenaed or questioned which means the gov't must be QUITE confident in its case. The guy's guilty and needs to go down. He hasn't been convicted yet, but the gov't already has all his stuff. He won't ever see it again.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:47 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I guess this is easy for me to say behind a keyboard, that said--how about, I don't know, just flat-out refusing to hand it over? Something like "your ass ain't getting it, and I'd like to see you try." I mean, what's the point of being cooperative, if it doesn't get you anywhere? You can't resist this? I'm sorry, but I think I would resist. No way they are going to stroll up to me and I just hand it over--not without a fight, even if I'm bound to lose. (And yes, again, I understand, it's easy for me to say this vs actually doing it.)

I'm with you. I think I'd almost be tempted to laugh and drive off. Other than speeding, what right do they have to keep me beyond the citation. I'll be damned if someone's going to steal my hard earned cash, p.ss on their badge! Once again, the people "in control" have the general public trained so well to react a certain way such that a person could be doing no wrong but out of fear of the police, will stop. People need to understand their rights and options. Guess I'm a rebel, they got no reason to stop me, I'll keep walking...

P.S. It's a damn shame these are the "freedoms" our military personnel supposedly fight for us for.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:55 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Well, it's sort of hard to do that when they threaten to send your infant off to Child Protective Services while you spend a night in jail.

They claim that the money is the result of "illegal proceeds" & seize it on that particular basis. After all, Hispanics & African-Americans couldn't have POSSIBLY obtained 50 hundred-dollar bills in an envelope LEGALLY, could they?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:54 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
That fits the definition of "Big government"

Old 10-12-2014, 09:01 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Funny (sad) thing is, Russia today seems more free than America sometimes. When I'm in Moscow or St. Petersburg, we don't get stopped & asked for "papers" anymore & our property (which belongs to individuals & companies these days, not the state) certainly isn't stolen to be used for plane tickets & throwing anti-drug parties under the pretense of fighting "crime".
I'd rather be in Russia
This isn't a free country anymore....
People here are delusional.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:24 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,167 times
I have to wonder why people are telling the police they have thousands in cash. Or they leave it sitting out where the cops can see it. It's still totally unacceptable for the police to steal--I mean, confiscate--the money, but how do the police even find out about it?

Old 10-12-2014, 03:12 PM

17,271 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
I have to wonder why people are telling the police they have thousands in cash. Or they leave it sitting out where the cops can see it. It's still totally unacceptable for the police to steal--I mean, confiscate--the money, but how do the police even find out about it?

Step one: Can I search your car?
For some reason these people said yes.....

Old 10-12-2014, 03:32 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Step one: Can I search your car?
For some reason these people said yes.....
It never occurred to me anyone was that stupid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive