Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 07:25 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I remember learning to drive in the 80's some old timers would tell me don't run on low tank because it sucks dirt from the bottom, and don't fill up at a gas station when the tanker is there because you will be sucking the station's dirt from the bottom of their tank.

Don't know if it's true or not?
Modern tanks are plastic, so you won't have rust or anything in there. And the fuel pumps themselves have a sock like mesh on them to catch any debris. If anything gets past that, they get caught in the fuel filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 07:58 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
^^^ THIS. The bearings in the pump are lubricated by the gas in the tank.

I think it has more to do with lubricating the rubber vanes of the impeller than bearings. If there is no liquid present the rubber is dragging against plastic which heats/distorts/warps the impeller and in turn puts strain on the structural integrity of the pump. The bearings could go in this case. A warped impeller is more likely as it bogs the pump down in efficiency rendering it useless. If the vanes stick you will burn a spot in the armature of the pump and kill it.

I can't recall ever seeing bearings immersed in gasoline for cooling. Metal sparks; that and gas don't mix.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:01 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
We are a long way from that kind of starvation when the low fuel light comes on. I have about 4 gallons still in the tank.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Well, running out of gas while driving sucks and your friends/family will bust your chops for years.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Yes if gas tank is low engine will suck sedament bad for engine

Old 10-11-2014, 09:32 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You can never run out of gas in your tank. All vehicles will keep from 1 to 2 gallons in the tank to make sure the pump stays lubricated. You cannot use that 1 to 2 gallons, your car will stall out when the fuel reaches that level. It is a self preservation feature on all cars with the fuel pump in the tank.
When your car stops running because gas is so low that it's no longer getting to the engine it doesnt really matter if there are still a few gallons in the tank as its gas you cant use so you are in fact out of usable gas.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:37 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
In many years of driving fuel injected I have been fortunate to never run out of gas, but I refill at 1/4 religiously.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You can never run out of gas in your tank. All vehicles will keep from 1 to 2 gallons in the tank to make sure the pump stays lubricated. You cannot use that 1 to 2 gallons, your car will stall out when the fuel reaches that level. It is a self preservation feature on all cars with the fuel pump in the tank.
What good is that 1-2 gallons when you're sitting on the side of the road? The point is that you shouldn't let your tank run on the light.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:24 AM

656 posts, read 1,341,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I remember learning to drive in the 80's some old timers would tell me don't run on low tank because it sucks dirt from the bottom, and don't fill up at a gas station when the tanker is there because you will be sucking the station's dirt from the bottom of their tank.

Don't know if it's true or not?
The first part, that's what the fuel filter is for. So long as you change it when you're supposed to, it's not so much of an issue.
The second part, maybe in days of old, but modern fuel pumps are filtered, as well.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:53 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
just a comment on my experience...I often ran/run cars down to the gas light on condition and drive another 5-20 miles. I've never replaced a fuel pump since maybe a '56 Chevy (and that didn't have a warning light) ...and seldom if ever fuel filters, nor had sludge stop me. Of course it depends on the car and Lady luck. I guess I've been fortunate.

BTW. I don't doubt there are situations where it isn't good for the car...oh, yeah, I did run out of gas once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive