Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:04 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times

Advertisements

IMO non dealer warranties are worthless.

After market warranties are insurance polcies and we all know that they hate paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 02:35 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Lots of bad info going on here.....

CPO stuff is only adding warranty from the original in service date. 5-6 years to a 2010 vehicle sold in 2009 means that will have 1-2 years of warranty at best.

Aftermarket warranties can be extremely valuable, google the CarMax Range Rover story.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:13 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,301 times
Mdx is a good advice, but I ll bet OP will take the risk and go for the X5..

Why? Because he,s never own one.

2010 X5 is sweet, go for it, just buy the extended warranty.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:15 PM

252 posts, read 420,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Mdx is a good advice, but I ll bet OP will take the risk and go for the X5..

Why? Because he,s never own one.

2010 X5 is sweet, go for it, just buy the extended warranty.
Are you in my mind or something?

My hesitation is that the BMW is at a Chevy dealer who took it in on trade. Will be a 3rd party warranty, not from BMW.

Are he 3rd party warranties really that bad?

Old 10-12-2014, 05:19 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
You do not want a third-party warranty from a Chevrolet dealer on the BMW. Check CarMax, because you can use the dealership as well. You do not have to have the vehicle serviced at CarMax.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-12-2014, 05:38 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Find yourself a good mechanic, buy the BMW, since you've always wanted one. You only live once.

If it works for you and turns out to have maintenance costs that are manageable, you will enjoy the intangible benefits of driving the vehicle you've always wanted. If it doesn't work out because you are slammed by high maintenance costs, you will be all the more wiser.

I bought a '94 BMW 740il back in 2000. It was my dream car. I always wanted a BMW and that car was beautiful. I felt like I had gone to heaven when I drove it home. Over the next 18 months, I spent upwards of $25000 on repairs. The last check, for over $3700, left me numb. What an idiot I was. Just about every other car I saw looked better to me than that BMW. I didn't go home from the repair shop. I went straight to a Jeep dealer and bought a Grand Cherokee, so glad to close up that enormous black hole that the BMW represented in my bank account. The BMW was a foolish emotional purchase, one with no brains, no common sense. I wanted that BMW though. I will say that when it didn't have problems, it was beautiful car to drive.

I have never been inclined to work on cars myself, and over that 18 months, I took that car to various repair shops for estimates. It felt like they all saw dollar signs when they saw me pull in with the BMW emblem, as if my having that car meant that they could charge me the max because I could afford it. They were used to getting BMWs and making big money from the repairs.

If you're going to buy the BMW, take the advice of others here and get that extended warranty.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:40 PM

252 posts, read 420,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You do not want a third-party warranty from a Chevrolet dealer on the BMW. Check CarMax, because you can use the dealership as well. You do not have to have the vehicle serviced at CarMax.
There is no Carmax here in the NYC area.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:29 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman140 View Post
There is no Carmax here in the NYC area.
Unfortunately, not, you would have to go to East Haven if you're north of the city. If you're in New Jersey, the closest would be King of Prussia. BMW of Mount Kisco is actually a very good dealership, so you may see what they have in stock. The certified BMW allows you to purchase the extended service contract, after the factory warranty extension expires, but you will pay a premium for the certified example, especially in Westchester as it's not difficult to sell a CPO X5.

Third-party warranties vary, and I am skeptical of most. I was skeptical of CarMax as well, but the experiences that have been shared here, and on other sites, i.e., the Range Rover, combined with the experiences of two friends of mine with CarMax vehicles has changed my mind. It may be worth a look online, if you don't mind a drive to get to the dealership. While not as convenient as buying down the street, it could be much less expensive when covered issues occur.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-12-2014, 07:41 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Find yourself a good mechanic, buy the BMW, since you've always wanted one. You only live once.

If it works for you and turns out to have maintenance costs that are manageable, you will enjoy the intangible benefits of driving the vehicle you've always wanted. If it doesn't work out because you are slammed by high maintenance costs, you will be all the more wiser.

I bought a '94 BMW 740il back in 2000. It was my dream car. I always wanted a BMW and that car was beautiful. I felt like I had gone to heaven when I drove it home. Over the next 18 months, I spent upwards of $25000 on repairs. The last check, for over $3700, left me numb. What an idiot I was. Just about every other car I saw looked better to me than that BMW. I didn't go home from the repair shop. I went straight to a Jeep dealer and bought a Grand Cherokee, so glad to close up that enormous black hole that the BMW represented in my bank account. The BMW was a foolish emotional purchase, one with no brains, no common sense. I wanted that BMW though. I will say that when it didn't have problems, it was beautiful car to drive.

I have never been inclined to work on cars myself, and over that 18 months, I took that car to various repair shops for estimates. It felt like they all saw dollar signs when they saw me pull in with the BMW emblem, as if my having that car meant that they could charge me the max because I could afford it. They were used to getting BMWs and making big money from the repairs.

If you're going to buy the BMW, take the advice of others here and get that extended warranty.
Was that a typo. 25k on repairs. Or 2500?

Old 10-12-2014, 07:42 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Mdx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive