Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:11 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,576,625 times

Advertisements

I tried to get my dad and hers involved, but no one really understands why I get up at 3:00 and they apparently think I have plenty of time to take care of myself and them, and, well, since I've been friends with his fiancé for so long, I can't just leave them in the cold. I wish she saw what I saw, though. Sometimes romantic love is very blind; she sees a provider for her kids, but I see a man who perhaps has trouble taking responsibility and putting others before himself. Yes, he works a labor-intensive job, but I'm still not seeing the problem, really. He is a man and is physically stronger than a woman. I've had a six mile per day fitness routine in the past and have trouble understanding why he can't walk to the bus stop. He claims he has something called bursitis in his knees and that it's painful to walk. I don't know how painful, though, but I kind of want to think it may just be his way of getting out of doing an hour's worth of extra work. Besides, he has other options.

Here a few of them:

Ride home with his father-in-law during the week and catch him to work when he leaves. He claims that his father-in-law leaves too late for him to arrive early enough to make a good impression on the company. I don't really know how that works. He has been with the company for almost two years.

Get a used bicycle or scooter and ride it to the bus stop. He says he has bursitis and can't walk well; maybe this is an option?

Carpool with someone going past the bus stop. He claims no one else who works there lives close to him, but is he really having trouble finding someone who drives three miles into town? The bus stop is only three miles away.

Last edited by krmb; 10-15-2014 at 02:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 02:58 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I tried to get my dad and hers involved, but no one really understands why I get up at 3:00 and they apparently think I have plenty of time to take care of myself and them, and, well, since I've been friends with his fiancé for so long, I can't just leave them in the cold. I wish she saw what I saw, though. Sometimes romantic love is very blind; she sees a provider for her kids, but I see a man who perhaps has trouble taking responsibility and putting others before himself. Yes, he works a labor-intensive job, but I'm still not seeing the problem, really. He is a man and is physically stronger than a woman. I've had a six mile per day fitness routine in the past and have trouble understanding why he can't walk to the bus stop. He claims he has something called bursitis in his knees and that it's painful to walk. I don't know how painful, though, but I kind of want to think it may just be his way of getting out of doing an hour's worth of extra work. Besides, he has other options.

Here a few of them:

Ride home with his father-in-law during the week and catch him to work when he leaves. He claims that his father-in-law leaves too late for him to arrive early enough to make a good impression on the company. I don't really know how that works. He has been with the company for almost two years.

Get a used bicycle or scooter and ride it to the bus stop. He says he has bursitis and can't walk well; maybe this is an option?

Carpool with someone going past the bus stop. He claims no one else who works there lives close to him, but is he really having trouble finding someone who drives three miles into town? The bus stop is only three miles away.
Why are you so worried about how he will cope??? Why have you not said it's over? This is not your problem. You are letting them walk all over you. If you don't let him figure it out, he never will. Stop trying to find solutions for them.

If you choose to stay with them, stop coming here to complain about how miserable your life is. Your own fault.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Why are you so worried about how he will cope??? Why have you not said it's over? This is not your problem. You are letting them walk all over you. If you don't let him figure it out, he never will. Stop trying to find solutions for them.

If you choose to stay with them, stop coming here to complain about how miserable your life is. Your own fault.
I could care less about him, but I don't want my BFF and her friends to think I'm a jerk, too. I'm planning to bow out gracefully, if possible. I wouldn't want anyone to leave me stranded without a solution to my problems if I had work obligations and a family to take care of, but I really do think perhaps he could make it without my help.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:31 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
I could care less about him, but I don't want my BFF and her friends to think I'm a jerk, too. I'm planning to bow out gracefully, if possible. I wouldn't want anyone to leave me stranded without a solution to my problems if I had work obligations and a family to take care of, but I really do think perhaps he could make it without my help.
You don't owe this to them. Not your problem to solve or suggest. They will figure it out and stand on their own. You are already subsidizing them with your taxes going to pay for their food stamps.

Please get out of this situation. Unless there is more to this story? Are you seeing the man on the side?

Old 10-15-2014, 06:39 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,046,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Just in case you missed the last line of the above post:
THEY ARE USING YOU!!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:18 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Sigh, I don't know the whole story. I was told that their financial situation was "none of my business," even though I wanted to help them figure out a budget, but, from what I gather, this is some of it:

They have two kids, another guy who pays no rent but gives them extra food stamps, and another kid they watch quite often.
They pay $575 per month in rent
Their power bill averages around $200 per month.
They spend something in food, but they all get food stamps, so it's probably minimal.
That leaves a substantial amount of money that could be put aside for a car. I don't understand why they can't do it.
He may spend over $100 per month on cigarettes and tobacco. I've heard this is the case.
There are probably other "expenses" that I don't know about. Well, raising kids is expensive, so maybe the expenses are legitimate. I do know that she has one of her kids in dance classes, though.
so you have tried to help, as a good friend should, and you get told that their problems are basically none of your business, even though they are trying to make those problems your business? sorry but that doesnt cut it anymore. do yourself, and them a huge favor and end the ride share program now. tell them what ever story you wish as to why you cant continue to drive the person to work everyday, but end it.

and bursitis is painful, i sometimes have minor issues with it in my shoulders, but a little exercise is actually good for it.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:11 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
Quote:
Get this through your head, she is not your BFF. She is only pretending to be your friend because she uses you. I bet if you look back through your relationship you will see she has always used you. If you don't allow her to use you, she will be gone in an instant. I think you like being used, why else would you allow it to continue? Do you really think being used is better than not having a friend? Friends don't use people.
Please im me her name and phone number and I will call her and fix the problem..
We don't want to hear anymore whining from you until you tell them it's over. This is so sad it's beginning not to sound real..

Old 10-15-2014, 03:38 PM

Well, I stood up for myself and dropped her boyfriend off about a half mile from his house. Wow, did I hear it from my friend! We're still friends, though, I think, and she said that she may rely on her sister and brother to give him rides while they look for a place closer to his job. My first exercise in standing up for myself appears to be successful.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:53 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,026 times
Umm, I wouldn't be friends with her anymore. Explain to your friend why you have to chauffeur her fiance around in the first place

Old 10-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Umm, I wouldn't be friends with her anymore. Explain to your friend why you have to chauffeur her fiance around in the first place
That would be throwing the baby out with the bath water. She's an old friend from elementary school who has done a lot for me without complaining. Things changed a little, though, after she had kids. She's found raising a family to be a huge responsibility and, apparently, doesn't mind trying to recruit her loved ones to help out. Although I like being kind, though, this feels like overkill. She routinely heaps impossible obligations on her plate, so I guess she thought her requests were reasonable. I'm happy I was able to convince her that they weren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive