Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:40 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times

Advertisements

interesting thing about most tire shine chemicals - they dry out your tires and cause dry rot.

basically tires are only going to last so many years. if your tires are 6 years old i would guess they are dry-rotted without you telling me. it can happen in lots of climates too; it happens to us up here in the frozen snow land too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Thanks, everyone!!! I really appreciate all of the valuable responses.

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend... I have to take care of this before I drive my daughter back to Berkeley at the end of the next week. Good thing I have Christmas money!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:47 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
interesting thing about most tire shine chemicals - they dry out your tires and cause dry rot.

basically tires are only going to last so many years. if your tires are 6 years old i would guess they are dry-rotted without you telling me. it can happen in lots of climates too; it happens to us up here in the frozen snow land too.
You are absolutely correct, yo vanilla

A dry climate plus constant or frequent exposure to the sun as well as little or no care will tend to accelerate the Dry Rot.

Tread gauges are definitely do not tell the entire story.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 23,966 times
Can anybody tell me if the dry rot on tires is covered by manufacturer warranty? I am in the Northeast and 3 of my tires were leaking air and I was told by town fair tire that that was because of dry rot and that the manufacturer warranty does not cover it. These are 3 year BF Goodrich Traction T/A's with 15K miles on them. Does anybody have any experience with getting Michelin to refund or replace your tires because of dry rot. I believe the tires were rated as 65K and 6 years.
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:13 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnimma View Post
Can anybody tell me if the dry rot on tires is covered by manufacturer warranty? I am in the Northeast and 3 of my tires were leaking air and I was told by town fair tire that that was because of dry rot and that the manufacturer warranty does not cover it. These are 3 year BF Goodrich Traction T/A's with 15K miles on them. Does anybody have any experience with getting Michelin to refund or replace your tires because of dry rot. I believe the tires were rated as 65K and 6 years.
Thanks in advance.
Are the side walls all cracked? that sounds pretty fishy, how old are they? they are not going to leak because of dry rot unless they are very old and broken down. they may have been old tires when you purchased them. The tire shop you bought then from should replace them if they are only a year or two old. Pro-rated of course.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:39 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance.

that's a pretty short time for tires to rot out. unless of course they spend the entire winter plastered in salt... do you wash the car regularily in winter?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
that's a pretty short time for tires to rot out. unless of course they spend the entire winter plastered in salt... do you wash the car regularily in winter?
Great point, yo vanilla

Tires require maintenance every bit as much as other parts of a vehicle.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Default Aging Tires

Statement from Ford a few years ago:

"Tires degrade over time, even when they are not being used. It is recommended that tires generally be replaced after six years of normal service," the Web site says. "Heat caused by hot climates or frequent high loading conditions can accelerate the aging process. You should replace the spare tire when you replace the other road tires due to the aging of the spare tire."

Tire Tech - Determining the Age of a Tire

Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 AM

18 posts, read 108,342 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance.
I would suggest you call michelin directly at their South Carolina customer service center. Don't have the 800# handy but it is easy enough to locate. You will need the id # off the tires before you call. I had bought a used 2003 Explorer with Michelins ..they were dry rotting so after speaking with Michelin, they gave a 60% credit towards purchasing the same tire new. Which I did....give them a call..can't hurt?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:20 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
A lot of places are selling tires that are brand new, but they are were manufactured years ago so the rubber is old.

All tires have a born on date or Tire Manufacture date--always check it before buying new tires or you risk buying tires that were sitting around for years.

[SIZE=2]Tire Manufacture Date

Consumer Warning: Check Tires for Born-On Date | KEPR CBS 19 - News, Weather and Sports - Pasco, WA - Pasco, Washington | News

[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive