Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:05 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
My commute is 38 miles each way on a relatively rural/suburban state highway. Headed north on the way home, the first 14 miles is one lane with a double yellow line (it's fairly windy in parts with a lot of elevation changes) nearly the entire way. There are also a lot of speed limit changes-it starts at 35, rises to 45 for a bit, back down to 35 through a little town, and then up to 50 for the stretch before getting onto the two lane divided highway for the last 24 miles. There are also a handful of traffic lights on the first 14 mile stretch-four or five. The point is, for the first 14 miles, there is no point in driving much in excess of the speed limit. Between the fact that there is no way to pass, and that there are lights every so often that are going to slow you down anyway, you may as well just enjoy whatever is on the radio, take in the fall colors (at least this time of year), and watch the farm animals graze.

Today, shortly after pulling out of work I immediately noticed a Jeep JK riding my bumper-young guy driving-maybe about my age (33), maybe a little younger. I'm doing 40 in a section that is 35. My immediate reaction is that its uncomfortable to have this guy right up my rearend so I decide to give him some space and increase my speed to 45-this only seems to encourage him, and he's following even closer than before. At this point I decide to have a little fun.

We hit the stretch that is 45 MPH-I set my cruise control to 45 on the nose-he starts to weave a bit to see what the holdup is as if he can't see over the top of my car anyway. The weaving becomes more pronounced and he sticks like glue to my rear bumper-I can see the frustrated shoulder shrugging and hand gesturing in my rearview. Then we begin approaching the little town-time to drop the speed to 35 exactly. At no point did I ever "brake check" or slam on my brakes to scare the guy, I just gradually brought it down and reset the cruise. More weaving, then a kind of "charging" where he would slow down, then hit the gas, ride right up to my bumper and then repeat. Odd.

After pulling away from the light in town (slowly) the speed increases from 35 to 45 to 50 rather quickly and I make the changes like clockwork-Jeep guy is back to weaving wildly again. The road is wider at this point, there is an ample shoulder, and basically nobody is headed southbound-I can tell he's contemplating an illegal pass but doesn't have the confidence in his driving ability, vehicle maneuverability, or both. We hit the 50 MPH stretch. Screaming, and fist shaking ensues culminating in a fit of flashing highbeams. I'm enjoying an extra long Allman Brothers jam on satellite radio.

Finally, I pull onto the divided highway and Jeep guy and I part ways. I should add that I had the same car in front of me the entire time, so it's not like I was holding up a parade of traffic by going excessively slow, I was just unwilling to ride the bumper of the person in front of me. Also, before someone scolds me because for all I know Jeep guy could have had a medical emergency, his wife could have been in labor, or he could have been racing to the side of a dying relative (or some other unlikely hypothetical), he easily could have passed me had he really wanted to, and I certainly wouldn't have tried to block him in any way. He was clearly not headed in the direction of any hospital FWIW-I pass the only major hospital in the area later in the drive.

I will admit, I thoroughly enjoyed how frustrated this person got simply because I chose not to drive like a maniac, but I still feel guilty because of it. Should I?
So you baited him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:46 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
With all the crazy people out there, what I do is look for the first driveway and hit my right blinker and act like I'm turning and let them go around then I just continue on. The way I figure, if I stay in front of them there is no chance a cop is going to nail them speeding. Every once in a while I happen along and find them pulled over and that makes it all worth it. In the winter the same idiots want to drive too fast for the conditions, same thing, I hit the blinker and let them pass. Then see them in the ditch a couple of miles up and give them a little honk as I drive by.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:27 AM

112 posts, read 379,665 times
I always let people pass. Why? Once my grandmother had a stroke. I had to get to the hospital. Every second counts in a stroke.

Also I enjoy driving much more in Europe. They ALWAYS let you pass. Hate to say it but a lot of drivers in the states are lacking in skill, consideration and courtesy. Even a basic hand gesture at a 4 way stop sign or use your signal indicators.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:32 PM

260 posts, read 473,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Conversely, KittenSparkles, the guy who's being followed could become so enraged that he slams on his brakes intentionally causing the idiot to hit him, hop out of the car and start shooting.
I've seen several youtube vids that show the main aggressor getting their car ahead then slamming on the brakes directly in front of the other car, really dangerous.
In that situation I'd be looking to get off that particular road or get behind another car.

I'll admit that most of the time if someone is seriously tailgating me (and I'm at the speed limit) I will slow down and 90% of the time they will back off, other times they will pass me.
I'm not worried about getting shot in my country but I guess there is a risk of a bashing or something..a guy was stabbed to death in a road rage incident a while back in my area..he had pulled over outside his house I think and they came back to get him.

I will also admit to getting a bit of road rage myself and doing some aggressive things but I am not proud of it and am trying not to let things get to me anymore.

Last edited by rckgrl; 11-07-2014 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-08-2014, 06:01 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post
I always let people pass. Why? Once my grandmother had a stroke. I had to get to the hospital. Every second counts in a stroke.

Also I enjoy driving much more in Europe. They ALWAYS let you pass. Hate to say it but a lot of drivers in the states are lacking in skill, consideration and courtesy. Even a basic hand gesture at a 4 way stop sign or use your signal indicators.
Don't expect them to stop texting or put their egg mcmuffin down and actually pay attention to what is going on around them.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:19 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post

If people really tailgate and speed when it "really" matters I am sure situation would not be bad. Problem is every little thing like I have to meet someone, I am late for this, late for that count as emergency and that's why it doesn't work because a major fraction of drivers is doing the same thing.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
This has happened several, heck many, times to me over the last few decades. I usually pull over just before some speed traps I know are there. I consider the fines the tailgater/speeder gets to be revenue enhancement for the town. When I am the guy behind I just settle in and wait for a passing zone I know about. When we get there I pass the slowpoke so quickly they rarely know I am there until I get past.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:54 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I think this is one of those "do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?" situations. Doesn't matter one whit if OP was right or wrong, because the end result is this guy has been taking up head space long after the incident, so right or wrong ethically, it was the wrong thing to do in terms of your own peace of mind. I used to play with people too, but found all it did was ruin my mood even if I "won". Now I just would have pulled over towards the shoulder and waved the guy by me, 30 seconds later it would have been gone from my mind. OP you say you were enjoying the music and scenery, but I find that hard to believe if you were also so engaged with this person. It doesn't sound in the slightest relaxing to me, anyway.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:54 PM

15 posts, read 24,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think this is one of those "do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?" situations. Doesn't matter one whit if OP was right or wrong
This was well said as other posters.

It is a normal reaction to feel I did not do any wrong and why should I budge. (And rightfully so). But that does not always work in the world in getting ahead.

The other factor to consider is if you pulled over and let him pass, you'd put it out of your mind after 10 minutes. But on the other hand, if something adverse were to happen (like road rage or the other driver is mentally unstable), and has a gun (forget a gun, he has a car that can cause serious damage), you will be permanently scared (physically, mentally, emotionally etc.,) along with your loved ones. The question is do you want to take the chance. Although it might look weak, it is prudent.

As always, in life, we have choices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive