Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:17 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times

Advertisements

What I can't stand is the fact that so many dealerships have no price marked on the car itself, which seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon. It gives me a sneaking suspicion they just change the price based on how much they think the individual customer they meet is willing to pay. Plus, if I am interested in a car, simply finding out the price requires a wait of some minutes, and car salesmen automatically think they can take advantage of me just I am a woman. Then if I don't like the price, I have to repeat the process with another car and then another. Then there is yet another wait before I can test drive, then negotiate the price if I am interested, then finance the car, then check the contract to make sure there are no hidden charges before I finally sign on the dotted line (maybe). I have rejected car purchases in the past because they have added various unexplained fees to my contract I didn't approve.

Buying a car has become such a mind game I'd rather get a root canal or divorce than go through it The last car I bought I got through Carmax since I prefer used cars. I enjoyed that process a lot more, especially since I got the price for the car online, checked it against Kelley (it was slightly under Blue Book value), then made sure it was in stock at the dealership before I even showed up. The next time I buy a car, I'll try Carmax again first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
With Volvos, you can order any option your little heart desires!

(Some options can only be installed at the factory since they require additional wiring to be run ALL over the place!)

Old 10-25-2014, 10:05 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,071,383 times
In general European cars are sold this way, whereas it's fairly rare for Asian and Domestic manufacturers. There are a lot of options you can't get on BMWs unless you order from the factory. There's another program called BMW Individual that opens up even more choices that aren't available even on a factory order. Of course the cars end up costing a lot more than if you buy a standard optioned car off the lot.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:09 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What I can't stand is the fact that so many dealerships have no price marked on the car itself, which seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon. It gives me a sneaking suspicion they just change the price based on how much they think the individual customer they meet is willing to pay. Plus, if I am interested in a car, simply finding out the price requires a wait of some minutes, and car salesmen automatically think they can take advantage of me just I am a woman. Then if I don't like the price, I have to repeat the process with another car and then another.
Are you telling me the dealers don't have a manufacturer's price sticker on the window? If I'm not mistaken, that's illegal, and they should be reported. I can't believe any dealer would do that.

If you are talking about a "bottom line price" or "discounted price", they are not required to post this price anywhere, and most new car dealers in my area won't give you a discounted price quote, unless you actually go to them in person to get a quote. If you want to pay something less than MSRP, then you will have to see how much of a discount you can negotiate. The exception would be the few "non-negotiating" dealers, that actually post a take-it-or-leave-it discounted price.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:41 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Are you telling me the dealers don't have a manufacturer's price sticker on the window? If I'm not mistaken, that's illegal, and they should be reported. I can't believe any dealer would do that.

If you are talking about a "bottom line price" or "discounted price", they are not required to post this price anywhere, and most new car dealers in my area won't give you a discounted price quote, unless you actually go to them in person to get a quote. If you want to pay something less than MSRP, then you will have to see how much of a discount you can negotiate. The exception would be the few "non-negotiating" dealers, that actually post a take-it-or-leave-it discounted price.
I haven't bought new cars in decades, only used ones. I have had to ask the price of used cars so often at so many dealerships it must be legal for them not to post the asking price. This applies for the major dealerships, as well as the smaller your-job-is-your-credit places. Maybe it varies by state. I've bought all my cars in Texas.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:56 AM

242 posts, read 402,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I would imagine back in the day the options were more limited than what we have today. All the electronic gizmos in itself would be more than in the past.

Upgraded stereo, adaptive cruise, heated/cooled seats, blind spot monitoring, HID, auto high beam, window shades, memory seats, parking sensors, headlight washers, leather wrapped steering wheel, automatic lift gates, heated mirrors/windshield, etc

You can't expect a mfg to have all these items and more ala carte. It would raise the price of the build tremendously. They have to use the package system now to reduce cost of build
Actually "back in the day" as many if not more options were available. They obviously were a different type of options than are available today but there were many of them. You had multiple choices in engines and transmissions which in most cases aren't available today. You also had level trim options both interior and exterior separately and in many cases you could even decide if you want bucket seats or bench seats, a center console or not etc. Back then you really could make a car truly individual to fit your needs and desires.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:16 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
This is controlled by the manufacturers more than the dealers. Orders slow down the manufacturer.

Honda, and many imports, has always offered fewer choices with different bundles of options sold together.

My wish list for the next new vehicle I buy is to have a "fewest nanny features" option. I don't want lane change detection, automatic cruise, etc. I also do not want GPS. No touch screens!

You may not have a choice in touch screens as rear view cameras will become standard safety equipment.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:24 AM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Is Cruze supposed to be coolspeak for Cruise? It must be the most awful car name ever.
You could name it whatever you want. So far almost 3 years later, with no problems...

BTW....Aztek was the worst name. Besides being a bad name it was a bad car and would never happen to with the world being PC.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:06 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I haven't bought new cars in decades, only used ones. I have had to ask the price of used cars so often at so many dealerships it must be legal for them not to post the asking price. This applies for the major dealerships, as well as the smaller your-job-is-your-credit places. Maybe it varies by state. I've bought all my cars in Texas.
For used cars, they are not required to post a price. But just like some new car dealers, some of the used car dealers also have "non-negotiable" pricing. You might be more comfortable dealing with one of them.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:12 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
Blame the leasing and auction system. Dealers find it easier to auction cars that have been returned on a lease if they have a standard color and option package. Nonstandard paint jobs and options mean that it takes longer to find a buyer and dealers need to turn a car over quickly to maximize their profits. However, if you do decide on some nonstandard options or features and take the time it sell it yourself, your car can actually command a fair premium over the standard dealer package model. As did this lime green Audi S5.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...bode-stick-em/

Last edited by Glenfield; 10-25-2014 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive