Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 03:15 PM

36 posts, read 59,340 times

Advertisements

I need a house that comes with a decent size garage to do auto repair out of.

I don't want my shop equipment stored in a different location. My tools as of now are worth 10000$. My shop equipment will be 3x that amount. I also need a garage large enough to fit a decent size lift in.

Something like this.

I would like to be able to fix friends and family's vehicles but out of the security and comfort of my own home.

Im aware of how loud auto repair can be which is why ill make my garage sound proof.

Any suggestions? Is it possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 03:18 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
I just found out my neighbor down the street has an auto lift in his garage! I had no idea! Usually his garage door is closed, but I happened to be walking by when he was cleaning out some things and saw a car up on a lift inside his garage. It looks like a "normal" (what does that even mean?) garage and house from the exterior, but inside, he has this awesome set up!

Old 10-26-2014, 03:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
Find a house with some land and add a steel building or barn. Most places are going to look down on running a shop out of you garage, especially if the area is zoned residential.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Find a house on accessible property at rear so has not to make wife mad and built one removed from house itself. Alot I know all have shops removed from house with even baths with a shower. As long as not commercial business likely no problem with zoning.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:29 PM

36 posts, read 59,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Find a house with some land and add a steel building or barn. Most places are going to look down on running a shop out of you garage, especially if the area is zoned residential.
Currently I live in houston and I heard there are no zoning laws here. I have zero experirience in construction I wonder how much it would cost to pay someone to build it for me?

Old 10-26-2014, 06:44 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
OP whatever house you buy you'll need a permit for building onto it or constructing a new building. Before you purchase the house you should check to see if you are permitted to do what you want. Some city/county inspectors may see that as a business and not allow it. That could save you some time and money.
My FIL tried that one time, he was a retired cabinet maker and loaded his garage with commercial type wood working equipment. When he needed to run extra 220 panels to run the equipment he had to get permits and the inspector would not allow it as he thought my FIL was going to create neighborhood problems with noise and possibly traffic in his residential retirement community. So he sold his home and moved somewhere else.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:12 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,173,937 times
When we moved to NoMi, one of my priorities was finding a house with a nice garage/workshop, and boy oh howdy, did we find one!

It's aprroximately 1100 square feet (thats bigger than the house we had in Alaska) completely open, clear span, concrete floor, oil change/inspection pit, 120 and 240, right now it's holding the brides 380SL, a classic BL Mini, 4 motorcycles, lumber, woodworking tools, plenty of workbench space...it's awesome. A basic lift costs about $1700 and I see one in my future. I think there there was a house around here too, and there was this woman who lives there and occasionally slides food under the door yep life is good.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:15 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
My uncle has a large garage he built, which has a 2 post lift in it. You may be best off finding a house on some land without any garage, and in an area where you can build your own large garage.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:52 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Zoning will be your biggest obstacle......

That being said there are plenty of cool garages around. I did have a client years ago put a lift in his garage but needed the ceiling to be raised. So he was still using the garage when the ceiling was being done, tragically the car caught fire (actually the carpet under the car did, then the car and the fire quickly accelerated through the open ceiling and subsequently burnt down a 3mm house in a few minutes. Lesson learned- no carpet in garages and no open ceilings!
He was a really nice guy and within minutes he was homeless, standing in the street in his pajamas as his only possessions!

Old 10-26-2014, 09:44 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissangtr View Post
I need a house that comes with a decent size garage to do auto repair out of.

I don't want my shop equipment stored in a different location. My tools as of now are worth 10000$. My shop equipment will be 3x that amount. I also need a garage large enough to fit a decent size lift in.

Something like this.

I would like to be able to fix friends and family's vehicles but out of the security and comfort of my own home.

Im aware of how loud auto repair can be which is why ill make my garage sound proof.

Any suggestions? Is it possible?
You haven't made it clear if this is for your own hobbyist work or as a commercial business. That can make a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive