Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:44 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Incorrect sir. It is a violation in almost every state if the driver is "negligent" or fails to take "reasonable action" to avoid an accident. These are common terms used when a driver sees an accident may be imminent and fails to take action.

Also, it is important to understand that being rear-ended is NOT a 100% fault collision. Many factors play into the determination of fault as well as a separate issue, whether the accident is preventable or non-preventable. For example, if I am not paying attention and am late reacting to a vehicle stopping in front of me, I can slam on my brakes and may manage to stop before hitting the vehicle in front. The vehicle behind me may not have adequate time to react and therefore strikes me from behind. This is an accident where fault may be laid on both me and the driver behind me. It also would clearly qualify as a preventable accident.

The two primary contributing causes to most accidents (NHTSA or any insurance study will confirm this) are speed and following too closely. To avoid accidents, slow down and allow more space. Pretty simple.
In New Jersey, if you hit the vehicle in front of you, you're pretty much always 100% at fault. I understand what you're saying, but you should seriously never rear end someone if you have a safe following distance and you're paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 07:36 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
So OP, were you the dude riding the brake light in front of me the other night? No other traffic on the road, except for the 2 of us, and somehow the driver in front of me felt the annoying need to ride the brake.

You'd rather "look good" and be hit than take evasive action and maybe "look silly"?

Sorry, but I'll look silly and be alive any day of the week.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:26 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI_listener View Post
Well, I'm in the camp of better to be right and dead. It looks stupid and is probably against the law. Cant they just make sure the headrest is correctly set and brace for impact? At least that wouldn't be so noticeable.
Stay and get hit. Sounds not stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive