Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:48 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times

Advertisements

The 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 convertible is very Aston Martin like and looks pretty badass and upscale and would be what I would choose.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 11:07 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
The 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 convertible is very Aston Martin like and looks pretty badass and upscale and would be what I would choose.
I agree. That looks pretty hot. And I ve never been a fan of mustang.
But I have driven a 2013. I m highly impressed with the GT 5.0
Overall. Very impressed with Fords these days.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:09 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,455,647 times
4 seat convertibles are a small niche these days. If you choose another type, you expand your choices considerably. Either a 2 seat convertible or a nice coupe.
Not much mentioned in other posts is the severe depreciation brands like BMW, Benz and Audi suffer from. Believe me, premium fuel extra cost, is a joke in comparition.
Anyway, good luck with your purchase.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:27 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,455,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
As someone who has owned several Mercedes (and currently owns a CL V8), as well as a couple of Lexus in the past, I have to say the maintenance costs and frequency of repairs on the Mercedes are often grossly overstated. In fact, in my small sample size, Mercedes have been better to me than Lexus. Of course my experience is probably different than you may read online, and I do most (90%) of my own mechanical work on all my cars, but I find Lexus to be far more "delicate" than Mercedes. I own a 4runner as well and it feels the same way. The interior bits get damaged extremely easily, nuts and bolts seem to be made out of softer steel, and parts are just as expensive when it comes to repairs. Mercedes are a lot more complicated and have a lot more on board systems, so keep that in mind. But I have to say Mercedes certainly "feel" safer and more solid than my old Lexus or 4runner.

BTW, the way they feel and drive on the road cannot be compared either, IMO. Especially if you spend a lot of time over 70mph.
You seem to know cars well. Anyway, a few comments:
1) Sometimes the way cars feel and how they hold in the long run aren't the same.
2) Since you work 90% on your cars, your experince is not typical. A car owner that needs the shop, should better be prepared for the shock. Not even large repairs, but replacing a small plastic part, a hose, filter or dedicated nut. Simply shocking. Not only that, but the sources for parts are limited when compared to GM or Ford.
3) As you say Germans are way more complicated. In my mind that's a drawback. I read countless posts about dealer shops having difficulties in diagnosing a problem. I can only smile when thinking about mechanical problems in a car like the recent BMW i8. I am certain most American technicians are inapt when fixing an engine noise, or occasional hiccups.
4) The OP sounds rather young. I strongly advise against spending "a lot" above 70mph. Not just safety wise, but financially and risking their license.

Last edited by oberon_1; 11-01-2014 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 02:40 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,046,958 times
Another thread showed the most reliable cars from Consumer Reports this year and the Audi A5 Convertible won the most reliable convertible honor and was also praised for its comfort and drivability.

Coupe/Convertible: Audi A5

The Audi A5 Cabriolet, winner of the top reliability award, differed from some others on this list in its overall high praise by Consumer Reports testers. Readers say the A5 is as reliable as they come in a coupe or convertible, but the editorial department confirms it’s a slam dunk on the road, too. Is it the perfect storm? Perhaps, but consumers may be able to deal with a few infotainment bugs and other conveniences in a convertible that costs a bit less than $47,600, as the A5 does.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
I bit the bullet and it was an SLK. I couldn't resist it on a test drive. I was weak.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 PM

528 posts, read 822,982 times
You know the rule, no pics means it didn't happen.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:22 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,305,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
How can anyone possibly go past the Lexus? Honestly they're by far the most refined automobiles known to man. They're meticulously refined and sophisticated with opulence and luxury.

Get the Lexus ISC, not only is it the epitome of luxury but you will also enjoy Lexus reliability and dependability. The ISC behaves like a coupe that is able to drop the top

Do yourself and everyone a big favor by removing the euro trash car brands from the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL

This is so hilariously funny that it just has to be a level. (I hope.)

I went from a Lexus SC430 to a Jaguar XJL. There's really no comparison.

At. All.
Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:28 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL

This is so hilariously funny that it just has to be a level. (I hope.)

I went from a Lexus SC430 to a Jaguar XJL. There's really no comparison.

At. All.
Are these comparable? A new Jag XJL has an MSRP of $74,000. Did the discontinued Lexus sc430 cost similar when new?

Old 02-15-2015, 01:07 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,206 times
Why did no one mention the Corvette ? Or the Caddy 2 and 4 seat version of it ? Both look far better than any of the import brands! Of course there is the Viper that is an awesome car too. I do wish the Challenger had a convertible !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive