Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:36 PM

14 posts, read 19,514 times

Advertisements

Hey,
So I recently got a car and today is the first time I had an accident, it was a minor one.

It was in a parking lot, I was reversing and accidentally bumped into a chevy suburban (my car has no damage whatsoever, his car seemed to have a small dent, no bends or anything). It's my first time being in an accident and I made several mistakes.

The guy was cool and all, we didn't file any police report or so. He did take my insurance (i didn't have it on paper so I emailed it to him, and then I realized that the email contained how much my coverage is, while that is NOT what he should know). I didn't take any pictures nor his info, I just have his email. I apologized several times, the guy was really friendly and all. He said he will check if insurance is really needed.....

I only have his email, nothing else! We both went our own ways and that's about it..... I pay $170/mo for liablity only (New driver), no idea how this accident happened!

Will my insurance skyrocket? What should I do? I'm pretty damn worried right now...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Pay it out of pocket. Email him and tell him you want to pay cash for the repair, so have him take it to a shop of his choice and you will pay for the fix.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:19 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Ok. First things first.

For starters, you should ALWAYS have a pen and paper in your car, ESPECIALLY as a new driver. If you get into an accident, regardless of who is at fault, you need to ask to see their drivers license, and write down their number, address, etc. Then ask for their insurance info. I'm sure you have a cell phone with a camera, take a pic of their insurance card and drivers license. Then you have all the information about them you need.

Take a picture of the damage. Do not EVER leave the scene without getting a pic of what happened, and the license plate number.

Most likely, the guy will file a claim, and your insurance will be contacted. If he's a decent guy, he's not going to lie about what happened. If he isn't though... he could say you smashed into his "other" car which is full of dents and damage, and get you on the hook for more costly repair.

My advice is to call your insurance company first, and tell them what happened. That way they have your side of the story already. If the guy never bothers to call them, then nothing will come of it.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
And be prepared for the bill. There is no such thing as cheap body work, even for a quarter size dent. They'd want to paint the whole panel.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:33 PM

3,379 posts, read 9,213,109 times
Sometimes cities let you file a police report after the fact online. Check out the city it happened in.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:18 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
And be prepared for the bill. There is no such thing as cheap body work, even for a quarter size dent. They'd want to paint the whole panel.
If the paint's not cracked I'd look into paintless dent repair, it works.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:25 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Pay it out of pocket. Email him and tell him you want to pay cash for the repair, so have him take it to a shop of his choice and you will pay for the fix.
I don't think I would ever accept an offer of cash payment - unless the driver handed over twice my estimation of the damage on the spot and was willing to wait for the repair to be completed to get the overage returned to him.

First, because I believe the report of the accident should be filed right away to avoid problems later with he said/she said, and second because I doubt most people can afford to pay for even the smallest fender bender cash. By the time you have screwed around with them making excuses and delaying until you find out they can't come up with the cash you could have had your car repaired ad been done with it.

Third, because many who want to pay cash, don't have insurance at all, and if they can't afford a monthly insurance of $100 or so, there is no way they will scrape together what they owe and pay you - I just don't think it will happen 80% of the time.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:55 PM

14 posts, read 19,514 times
Actually my bad, there is NO DENT, it was a scratch. Eitherway, I saw suburban rear bumpers go for $200-$300 online, and let's say $200-$300 for installation, that's about $500.

Hopefully it doesn't increase my insurance a lot if he decides to file a report... I emailed him

Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 PM

101 posts, read 136,619 times
I agree about taking care of it yourself. Even if he reports it to insurance, they still should give u the option to pay yourself. Insurance companies will use any excuse to raise rates.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:04 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I don't think I would ever accept an offer of cash payment - unless the driver handed over twice my estimation of the damage on the spot and was willing to wait for the repair to be completed to get the overage returned to him.

First, because I believe the report of the accident should be filed right away to avoid problems later with he said/she said, and second because I doubt most people can afford to pay for even the smallest fender bender cash. By the time you have screwed around with them making excuses and delaying until you find out they can't come up with the cash you could have had your car repaired ad been done with it.

Third, because many who want to pay cash, don't have insurance at all, and if they can't afford a monthly insurance of $100 or so, there is no way they will scrape together what they owe and pay you - I just don't think it will happen 80% of the time.
I would accept cash, after I filed a police report, that was mistake number 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive