Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:35 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times

Advertisements

Timid, fearful, complete lack of confidence in their abilities (clearly justified). If it took more than a pulse and the ability to drive around the block to get a license I think a lot of these problems (problem drivers) would go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 08:57 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Timid, fearful, complete lack of confidence in their abilities (clearly justified). If it took more than a pulse and the ability to drive around the block to get a license I think a lot of these problems (problem drivers) would go away.
True.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Had this happen tonight for seemingly the millionth time. I am 3rd back in a line of cars merging onto the interstate. Right lane traffic is moving along at 60-70 and is fairly sparse. Lead car in the merge is going about 30 mph up the long straight ramp. It has a lot of room but still tries to merge onto the interstate at 45mph. This causes right lane cars to have to dodge the merging cars and/or stomp on their brakes, and all of the cars in the merge line are stuck at trying to merge into traffic with a 15-25mph speed differential. Dangerous situation.

Why don't some people accelerate on the ramp and merge in at through-traffic speed? Why won't they stomp on the gas? Trying to save fuel? Think they are going to hurt their engine? Please help me understand why people do this. I cringe every time I see this because there is a high potential for an accident.

What is actually worse is "Drivers with fear". Those are the ones who should not even have a drivers license because the very thought of being in a moving vehicle let alone in traffic scares the bejeebers out of them.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Quote:
Why won't they stomp on the gas? Trying to save fuel? Think they are going to hurt their engine? Please help me understand why people do this. I cringe every time I see this because there is a high potential for an accident.
It seems like the faster (within reason) you get your car up to highway speeds and into over drive the better your fuel efficiency will end up.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:12 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
To make it even more maddening is when it is a car with 300+hp, an AMG MB, a M BMW, even a Continental GT or some fine exotic- very common here in coastal So Ca. -the engineering utterly wasted with some frightened woman driver (not all women- keep your claws in) certain the car will blow up, roll, spin sideways (I don't know what they're thinking!) if the accelerator is depressed more than a 1/4 of the way to safely and easily merge into traffic.

Honestly, it is the only reason cars have more than 100 hp, since it barely takes 15 to 25 to keep you at freeway speed.

It's one thing if you have a beater 4 cylinder or an old tired car and at least you are trying.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
I get mildly annoyed at worst when people take their sweet time getting up to speed out of a stop sign or stop light or what have you, but I guess that's their prerogative so life goes on. But when you're on an entrance ramp and there's traffic... STEP ON IT AND GET UP TO SPEED. I don't want to be a road pancake because you think it's an excellent idea to do 40 miles an hour right up to the very end of the merge point while traffic is flying by at 70. In extreme instances I won't hesitate to go around them on the shoulder if that's what it will take to safely merge into the traffic flow.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:17 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
If cars behind the slopepoke are following too close to them.....of course they will be effected.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:51 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If cars behind the slopepoke are following too close to them.....of course they will be effected.
You can't help getting close to them. They are driving in a dangerous manner, and they are leaving you with only 2 choices, both of which are dangerous. You can either try to get up to proper merging speed and end up in their tail, or you can drive as slowly as them and risk someone on the highway crashing into you when you try to enter it.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:01 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Let's say all drivers do what you propose they should do, what happens when no one will give you way and you reach the end of the merge lane at your high speeds. What do you do then? Crash?
As I said, through traffic was not too heavy, so the lead car could have either accelerated more or briefly tapped the brake to merge in, had they been at full speed at the end of the merge. Going 45 at the end of the ramp doesn't give you many options to fit in.

The offending car in my latest example was a newer Mazda 3, no reason why it couldn't have gotten up to speed.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:08 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Had this happen tonight for seemingly the millionth time. I am 3rd back in a line of cars merging onto the interstate. Right lane traffic is moving along at 60-70 and is fairly sparse. Lead car in the merge is going about 30 mph up the long straight ramp. It has a lot of room but still tries to merge onto the interstate at 45mph. This causes right lane cars to have to dodge the merging cars and/or stomp on their brakes, and all of the cars in the merge line are stuck at trying to merge into traffic with a 15-25mph speed differential. Dangerous situation.

Why don't some people accelerate on the ramp and merge in at through-traffic speed? Why won't they stomp on the gas? Trying to save fuel? Think they are going to hurt their engine? Please help me understand why people do this. I cringe every time I see this because there is a high potential for an accident.
They don't care about other drivers, they'll get up to speed when they're darn good and ready. BTW, what are you doing on THEIR road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive