Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:22 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

That's odd then. Perhaps there is some sort of electrical grid or something in the area that interferes with the ignition on your car? That would be my guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 11:16 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I only take that road about 3-4 times per year. Happens at that same spot every time but doesn't come on at all the other 360+ days of the year.

Do you take other trips throughout the year with similar mileage and conditions? Meaning, if you drive 2 hrs one day at 2k rpms, going over slight inclines, etc... have you tried doing this somewhere else trying to mimick the conditions to see if it happens again?

My dad's old Ford Ranger used to do this. The CEL would come on and the engine would begin to lose power. But it would only do this on a specific stretch of I-10 when he crossed into Louisiana from Alabama. It would happen going to LA, but not coming back.

Every day driving caused no issue and the only time this happened was after about 2.5 hours of steady driving on the interstate. We decided one day to get on the interstate and go a different direction with similar road conditions and just drive until it happened again. Sure enough, 2.5 hrs later it happened again. Ended up being an intermittent O2 sensor problem. We figured out that dad had to stop and refuel half way back from LA, so when he cycled the key it reset the computer and the problem went away. So he never had the issue coming back.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:30 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times
I do make similar trips elsewhere but it only happens at this one particular location.

Looking for an electrical interference condition, I went to google maps at the location where it occurs.

In this picture, top left corner is I-90 where the light comes on. Bottom right is a tall, conical shaped building that is making me scratch my head. No google labels and if I zoom in closer, there's what appears to be at least 3 gates to get to it as well as perimeter fencing. Hmmm... I wonder what's in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Check engine light - every time I reach a certain mile marker on I-90-erie-check-engine-light.jpg  

Old 11-10-2014, 12:06 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Default Water Tank ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I do make similar trips elsewhere but it only happens at this one particular location.

Looking for an electrical interference condition, I went to google maps at the location where it occurs.

In this picture, top left corner is I-90 where the light comes on. Bottom right is a tall, conical shaped building that is making me scratch my head. No google labels and if I zoom in closer, there's what appears to be at least 3 gates to get to it as well as perimeter fencing. Hmmm... I wonder what's in there.
If you zoom in closer at https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Erie,...nsylvania&z=20
you can see the tank from the side. It appears to be similar to the water tanks shown on this web page (also in PA) Facilities

Also looking at Google Maps terrain view, it appears to be located on a ridge. Probably a water tank that serves the local neighborhoods.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Never thought of a water tower but never saw one from the top. I thought it was a glass structure all the way around (kind of like a protective skin like they use for weather radar).

Maybe it's emitting water vapor and my engine sucked some in causing a misfire.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:29 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times

Old 11-10-2014, 12:49 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Lots of water towers and many other tall structures are now full of cell antennas and other communication devices. I'd bet that's your cause.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:27 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Put a code reader on it when it happens and see what the issue is. I'm still betting it's related to what I mentioned above. If you have another vehicle, try driving that one down the same stretch and see if it has any issues.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:37 PM

Code is "Random Misfire".

I only have one other vehicle I take on that route but it has a check engine light on almost all the time so I wouldn't be able to tell. If it happened to a lot of vehicles, I'd expect there to be an uproar in the Erie area but a google search didn't show anything.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:21 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
My Trans Am sometimes sets off an EGR code along a certain stretch of highway. I guess there's something about the throttle position and engine load in that exact area that sets it off, it's an area where I kinda coast along with light throttle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive