Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 02:57 PM

96 posts, read 167,904 times

Advertisements

Hello!

So, I have a 2011 Mercedes C class. The lease is up, and I'm unable to find anything that I like or can afford. The car has only 30k miles on it. A friend suggested I just buy out the lease since I need a car, and I hope to get a decent monthly payment with financing.

I would plan on keeping the car four more years before trading it in, and I only put about 10k miles a year.

Has anyone ever bought their car off lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 03:22 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,168,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy908 View Post
Hello!

So, I have a 2011 Mercedes C class. The lease is up, and I'm unable to find anything that I like or can afford. The car has only 30k miles on it. A friend suggested I just buy out the lease since I need a car, and I hope to get a decent monthly payment with financing.

I would plan on keeping the car four more years before trading it in, and I only put about 10k miles a year.

Has anyone ever bought their car off lease?
Why not lease another new car that you can afford?

Probably better payment compared to purchasing, drive the latest and no worry about repairs...

Old 11-13-2014, 04:01 PM

96 posts, read 167,904 times
Hi - considered that option but I figure once the car is paid for it will be mine, and I can always sell it.

If I lease again, in three years I'll be right back to where I am now.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:49 PM

795 posts, read 4,539,240 times
I have done this with a car I absolutely loved. Just calculate your lease payments and your potential loan payments (or purchase price) to see the total price that you will be paying for the car. This will help you figure out how much money you will pay versus if you had purchased it outright and also versus leasing another car. Then you can figure out whether keeping the car is worth it to you financially.

If you've already done that, the actual buyout process should be easy. Your lease paperwork should have the details. My buyout was as easy as a phone call and the signing of some paperwork. Never regretted it either -- neither the original lease nor the buyout itself.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
I would keep it well after the 4 years you plan on keeping it. Mercedes has horrible resale value so you might as well get every penny out of the purchase. And find a independent MB shop to maintain it. There are some good ones.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:33 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,122,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Why not lease another new car that you can afford?

Probably better payment compared to purchasing, drive the latest and no worry about repairs...
I'd recommend never keeping a Benz or BMW after warranty period up and this is coming from someone who used to own a BMW. Maintenance costs and repairs are astronomically high.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:11 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,818 times
I have a friend who had an e350 diesel. When his lease was up he asked for a quote to buy the car. It was outrageous. He let the car go. It turned up two weeks later on the same MB dealer lot that he turned the car into, at a lower price than the buyout, with an MB CPO warranty. He bought the car, it still paired up with his phone and all his favorite radio stations were still in the radio!

Bottom line, based on one datapoint, MB buyouts are at the very top of the price range. You might be better looking around if you really love that model...

Old 11-13-2014, 09:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
If monies a problem never keep a Mercedes after warranty as stated.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:31 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,769,221 times
Calculate the buyout versus buying a similar model and see what the difference is.

My jeweler asked me the same Q when the lease on his 1990 560SEl was up. It was the last year for that gorgeous body style and it was immaculate. He bought it out and still drives it, the car looks new.

If you really love it and the buyout is the same or less than buying another like model with same mileage, then do it. You love it, you know the service history. Enough said.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:52 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I have the same dillemma coming up with a 2012 C300 I am leasing. M-B offered to extend the lease 6 more months, which I am doing simply because I love the car. Only have 20K miles on mine.

Residual Value was about $27K. When i did the math on what i leased for, and then did some ballpark numbers on my payments if I purchased the car, I ended at a number I really wasn't happy with in terms of total cost of the car.

Overall it's been a pretty cheap car to maintain. I've done the two service packages myself which was nothing more than a glorified oil change and inspection of various parts. Future maintainence costs has me worried though and I researched some common failures and priced out repairs and just didn't want to take the risk.

Another, probably bigger reason for giving the car back is that I'm a single guy and it's one of 3 cars I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive