Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:30 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Sometimes aftermarket parts are better, ir required. My stepdad took his ranger into a shop for tirws and alignment, he had to have caster/camber bolts to have it done. Or like aftermarke suspension components that have the zirc fittings for regreasing, which oem parts won't have. If you can't find parts improved from factory- like a balljoint you can grease, or say a more stout window motor, then stick with oem, rather than sometthing inferior.
Are you saying that a replacement ball joint with a zerk fitting is better than a sealed ball joint that does not require lubricating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 10:04 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,935,908 times
Depending on the "aftermarket" parts you can get the same quality as OEM since the Manufacturer of said OEM parts has given the rights to the "aftermarket" manufacturer and the schematics to build and sell this part and the OEM manufacture gets a percentage of the price....

This is done and has been done for years...

Also remember that the Manufacturer does not make all parts itself and contracts out to various companies for parts and accessories on its vehicles...

So if say a rear spoiler/wing was broken during an accident or vandalism and that part was contracted by a independent company for the manufacturer and it has been a few years, the manufacturer probably gave the company the rights to sell the product under another name and it is the same exact product you have on your car now....

Old 11-24-2014, 03:49 PM

15 posts, read 24,374 times
Following up to conclude, all the 9 parts marked as after-market (AM) by Insurance adjuster were fixed with OEM parts in 2 steps.

1st step: Auto body shop called the local Honda dealer for a price match, which they did for 7 of 9 parts.

2nd step: For the other 2, I had to call the insurance company, who suggested I reach out to the auto body shop, to sell the parts without markup and the Insurance company will pay for the difference between AM and the price without mark-up. Ran it by the auto body, who suggested that I wait while they ordered the AM parts and they'll discuss this with the insurance company, as they were confident that the parts will not fit (with over 85% return rate for AM parts). Heard back today that the auto body shop could not fit the AM parts and got all OEM. Insurance approved it.

Laborious but productive. As a side benefit, it helped me with a core skill of negotiating without getting emotional about it - a skill that I have been working on! :-)

Thanks for all the great responses. It helped me with making the right push back to the Insurance company.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:42 PM

797 posts, read 751,473 times
I would have had them write me a check,and bought all the parts online then do it myself(in your case have that shop do the work)
Glad it worked out for you though

Old 11-25-2014, 11:30 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
Are you saying that a replacement ball joint with a zerk fitting is better than a sealed ball joint that does not require lubricating?

Yes it is in my opinion. My old 05 Expedition came from the factory without zerk fittings. They had issues with wearing out the ball joints because the dust caps would dry out and due to the weight of the vehicle, the grease would squeeze out in no time and wear out the ball joint.

I had them replaced with MOOG problem solvers (zerk fittings on the ball joints). If the ball joint dust caps ever leaked, it would be easy to grease them when the vehicle was serviced, thus extending the life of the ball joints.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Their Ins. Co.? OEM all the way. From what I've learned in the past is to go online and do the online estimators of the damage that can be seen and the damage that can't be seen. include all electronics and daily car rental charges. Have that printout in hand. If they push back, give them a stern look and tell them you don't want to see them a second time.

Beware of them skipping over the items that can't be seen. for example when one my cars was rear ended, they covered the rear door and the bumper, but wanted to transfer over the electronic components. I told them no and explained to the estimator did he really want to do the labor twice. Once to test the old components and if they failed have to take everything apart and redo it and add in tons of labor to put in new components. You have to know how they think and once you do, they'll cut you a check which will match your online estimator and from there you can go repair shop shopping in order to get the biggest bang for your buck in repairs so end end up the way it came in day 1 instead of the minute before the accident.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:22 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,046,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatigol View Post
Following up to conclude, all the 9 parts marked as after-market (AM) by Insurance adjuster were fixed with OEM parts in 2 steps.

1st step: Auto body shop called the local Honda dealer for a price match, which they did for 7 of 9 parts.

2nd step: For the other 2, I had to call the insurance company, who suggested I reach out to the auto body shop, to sell the parts without markup and the Insurance company will pay for the difference between AM and the price without mark-up. Ran it by the auto body, who suggested that I wait while they ordered the AM parts and they'll discuss this with the insurance company, as they were confident that the parts will not fit (with over 85% return rate for AM parts). Heard back today that the auto body shop could not fit the AM parts and got all OEM. Insurance approved it.

Laborious but productive. As a side benefit, it helped me with a core skill of negotiating without getting emotional about it - a skill that I have been working on! :-)

Thanks for all the great responses. It helped me with making the right push back to the Insurance company.
Great result and fantastic positive outlook. Glad it worked out for you.

The body repair or accident repair business has become challenging for many business owners as the profit margins are often thin and the standardized tools for estimating make it pretty competitive. If the shop did a good job and you are happy with their service, make sure you post it as a positive review for them online and/or with the BBB so they can get referrals or positive reference.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 928 times
What if you live in Washington state and your 2016 Ford Fusion with less than 6000 to 7000 miles was in an accident that was not your fault. Your Insurance company The Hartford wants to use aftermarket parts. I want only original Ford part this accident hit the front passenger tire and destroyed all steering mechanism but did not bend frame. The Hartford wants to use 9 after market parts. What are my rights? Also how can I sue for diminished value? [email]greglanderson@comcast.net[/email]

Old 06-14-2016, 07:38 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,234,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglanderson View Post
What if you live in Washington state and your 2016 Ford Fusion with less than 6000 to 7000 miles was in an accident that was not your fault. Your Insurance company The Hartford wants to use aftermarket parts. I want only original Ford part this accident hit the front passenger tire and destroyed all steering mechanism but did not bend frame. The Hartford wants to use 9 after market parts. What are my rights? Also how can I sue for diminished value? greglanderson@comcast.net
Read your insurance contract see what it says. The company I use to work for paid for OEM from 2 years from build date.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:34 AM

423 posts, read 457,700 times
Meh, after market may not be the same quality but it works.

I had a car in which I personally had an accident with a guard rail. I paid out of my own pocket for repairs, aftermarket parts. I didn't have any issues with it. In fact, the aftermarket parts were actually BETTER than the OE. My OE headlight housings would always fog up in the rain. Aftermarket housings didn't.

Just make sure they're using quality aftermarket(not something pulled off eBay) and you're fine.

Oe vs AM insurance repairs is really just a psychological thing. You won't see quality difference unless you keep the car for 20+ years.

Just had an accident with a deer and the insurance is currently working in repairing it. I'm pretty sure they're using aftermarket parts. But I wouldn't care, as long as I get the car back and everything works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive