Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 02:41 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times

Advertisements

To go with that 10,000 sf house with 5 car garage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 02:56 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What the point of buying a sport car in the US when you can't drive faster than 65-75MPH on the highway?
There's states that you'll get a ticket for peeling off or speeding up too fast

So what's the point of spending $100,000 on a sport car that can do 200MPH but you can't go pass 75MPH?
This stands out to me because I grew up in a country that doesn't have speed limits (ok... they have them, but nobody obeys them)
Every car that is sold in America can well exceed 75MPH so I guess something needs to be done about this horrific injustice.

I bet all those cars also have volume knobs that go all the way up to 30 but are rarely turned past 22

Old 11-12-2014, 03:52 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
What the point of buying a sport car in the US when you can't drive faster than 65-75MPH on the highway?

So what's the point of spending $100,000 on a sport car that can do 200MPH but you can't go pass 75MPH?
This stands out to me because I grew up in a country that doesn't have speed limits (ok... they have them, but nobody obeys them)

Make up your mind, do they have speed limits or do they?

What makes you think everyone in America obeys the speed limit but everyone in your country does not?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:15 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,173 times
Quote:

Based on the handful of people I've known with muscle cars, their minds have generally not left high-school. They BIRG over engine power (which they control by just moving their foot a little) and tend to be impatient drivers who tailgate and weave. They think they'll somehow get to the "front of the line" if they drive fast enough, but the line is constantly being filled and depleted. Many make a game of evading the police (more high-school stuff). I think a lot of chronic fast drivers are just punks and ego-trippers.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:46 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Based on the handful of people I've known with muscle cars, their minds have generally not left high-school. They BIRG over engine power (which they control by just moving their foot a little) and tend to be impatient drivers who tailgate and weave. They think they'll somehow get to the "front of the line" if they drive fast enough, but the line is constantly being filled and depleted. Many make a game of evading the police (more high-school stuff). I think a lot of chronic fast drivers are just punks and ego-trippers.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:57 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Honestly, if you have to ask "What's the point", then you just don't get it.
I agree, car enthusiasts get it. Plus this is a big country and not every mile of it is urban. Around here we have plenty country and rural roads where you can really let your sports car open up.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:32 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Wait...what? Both are dog slow and handle poorly relatively to even most mainstream 4-door sedans, much less a sports car.

Had you said 1999-2004 SVT Lightning, GMC Syclone, or Dodge Ram SRT-10, there'd be something to talk about. I like the Silverado SS - I've been actively looking to purchase one recently as a beater truck, but to equate it to a sports car of any sort is ludicrous. The Raptor is even more of a stretch and is in no way, shape or form remotely sporty. In fact, in terms of sportiness, I'd take a 3.5 Ecoboost Lariat AWD F150 over a Raptor if I was concerned about performance and handling.
Amen to that. So many people I see get this totally backwards, thinking that a truck or SUV is the vehicle of choice if you want to go 90 in a 20. Wrong. It's not about 0 to 60, or how big your vehicle is and thus how well it would do in a crash. It's about having something that handles worth a flip and can corner well, especially on curvy roads. Trucks and SUVs are awful at that relative to even a normal car like a Ford Taurus, much less one that can handle well like a sports car or something like a BMW etc.

That said, the OP has a point, insomuch that you run into the realities of the real world that, too often, don't let you enjoy the natural advantages of your better car. That photo of the cars handling that curvy road? The problem is, you will INEVITABLY find yourself stuck behind some "windshield tourist" who insists on going BELOW the already slow speed limit and they will NOT move over when they see that long "parade" of cars behind them. (I wish it were legal to shove them out of the way by force, I really do.) You have people who "match speeds," my term for what others call driving slow in the fast lane. (I call it "matching speeds" because the problem isn't someone going slow in the left lane, it's that they get right beside the person in the right hand lane and drive the same speed as them. If someone is simply driving slow in the fast lane and that's it, you often-times can pass, you can't if they're "matching speeds.") Then you have people who wait 5-odd seconds or more to even start moving once the light turns green.

It sucks, but it's the way it is, too much of the time.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:51 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Amen to that. So many people I see get this totally backwards, thinking that a truck or SUV is the vehicle of choice if you want to go 90 in a 20. Wrong. It's not about 0 to 60, or how big your vehicle is and thus how well it would do in a crash. It's about having something that handles worth a flip and can corner well, especially on curvy roads. Trucks and SUVs are awful at that relative to even a normal car like a Ford Taurus, much less one that can handle well like a sports car or something like a BMW etc.

I will take my stock SUV against any "normal car like a ford taurus" anyday.

You need to research before throwing blanket statements out there like that. SUV's arent all like you might have been thinking of lol

Old 11-13-2014, 06:55 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Cause it put a smile on your face

Old 11-13-2014, 07:05 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Wow, so much judgment from some people here on what others drive because it does not suit their own tastes.

In regards to the topic at hand, I love cars with dynamics that make them enjoyable to drive. My Subaru BRZ sports car is quick, rotates amazingly well, can be planted precisely on a line, and communicates it's grip and feel back to me very well. If you love the sensation of control and precision in an automobile, t his is a great driver's car.

The great thing is, it gives me the sensation of these dynamics whether I am driving it at 10/10ths on a track, or cruising the speed limit down the highway. Out in the real world, one does not have to drive reckless, break laws, or otherwise be dumb to enjoy the tactile feel and dynamics of a car.

So the reason to buy a sports car is.... you like the qualities of enhanced driver involvement it gives you over a car which has a primary focus of something else.

(Of course, if you need more function, there are some great cars and SUV's that also offer a great driver's experience as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I will take my stock SUV against any "normal car like a ford taurus" anyday.

You need to research before throwing blanket statements out there like that. SUV's arent all like you might have been thinking of lol
I will second this. There are trucks and SUV's with the dynamics to leave a pedestrian FWD sedan in the weeds on a track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive