Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:55 PM

86 posts, read 141,797 times

Advertisements

We have a van with 42,000 miles on our set of tires we purchased two years ago. My wife has the tires rotated every time the oil is changed. They are rotated twice as much. The tires have even tread wear across all four. the tires were sold with a 85,000 mile warranty.

Wouldn't you think the tire manufacturer should cover the cost of a 45,000~ mile tire? Well they won't. They will give you a pro-rate on the loss mileage. We might get 35%-50% off each new tire.

You say, well that isn't a bad deal. Well, it is. Add in the cost of valve steams, mount, balance, road hazard per tire, and your paying a lot of money when your tires should have last another two years.

By the way, my wife drives very reasonable. She doesn't take turns very fast and doesn't speed nor stop abruptly.

The tires are Douglas brand. Steer clear of this manufacturer, unless you like to have problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:26 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,299 times
You get what you pay for - go with Michelin if you can afford it.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:00 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,637 times
agreed you get what you pay for A cheap tire is what it says a cheap tire.Yes you are correct about rotation every 3k is best.Some will fight that.But I know that your owners manual says 7500 miles That is tha max for rotation.If you want the most wear out of a tire 3k.Also inflat using guide on the door of your vehicle not the tire.Except if its a Ford SUV check with dealer.The best tire to get are the ones with a firm or stiff side wall.You my lose a little ride but the milage saving is worth it.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Prorating for treadwear is standard operating procedure in the industry. The basis for it is that you shouldn't get 42,000 free miles out of your first set of tires; you should pay for the value that you got from them. Otherwise the manufacturer could be on the hook for free tires in perpetuity due to factors they have no control over, such as driving habits, poor alignment, unusual heat/weather conditions, unusually abrasive surfaces along your specific commute route, et cetera. You can disavow Douglas tires if you want, but warranty claims are going to work the same way with any other manufacturer.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:25 AM

836 posts, read 3,469,445 times
I agree with Drover. Do you really think they should give you the complete value of the tires? How many years have you had them? I can't imagine any manufacturer would give you new tires at this point.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:54 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Prorating for treadwear is standard operating procedure in the industry. The basis for it is that you shouldn't get 42,000 free miles out of your first set of tires; you should pay for the value that you got from them. Otherwise the manufacturer could be on the hook for free tires in perpetuity due to factors they have no control over, such as driving habits, poor alignment, unusual heat/weather conditions, unusually abrasive surfaces along your specific commute route, et cetera. You can disavow Douglas tires if you want, but warranty claims are going to work the same way with any other manufacturer.
and it was when I worked in a Service Station in 1955.....never been different

Old 10-16-2007, 02:38 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Workerbeeishere - You did better than I did with the prorated tire replacement. I have Goodyear tires on my 2005 Dodge Dakota, and about a month ago, I found a nail that had gone into the tread of the rear passenger side tire. I took it to Dodge and they told me that the warranty doesn't cover "road hazzards", it only covers mechanical items, and to take it to Goodyear. I went there and they told me that they couldn't fix it because the nail, even though it was in the tread, it was too close to the sidewall and it's too risky to put patch over it. So I basically have an almost new tire, with no treadwear on it that cannot be repaired. I didn't buy the road hazard warranty with the truck, so the tire is pretty much useless and I'll have to spend $200 on a new one to replace it! Luckily, the spare is the same brand and type, so I had them replace the damaged tire with the spare, then patch up the one with the nail and use it as a spare.

It's typical for somebody at a tire store, or anywhere else for that matter, to do their best to sell you the product, but when it comes to help you if there's a problem with it, they'll act as if they didn't know you.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
We have a van with 42,000 miles on our set of tires we purchased two years ago. My wife has the tires rotated every time the oil is changed. They are rotated twice as much. The tires have even tread wear across all four. the tires were sold with a 85,000 mile warranty.

Wouldn't you think the tire manufacturer should cover the cost of a 45,000~ mile tire? Well they won't. They will give you a pro-rate on the loss mileage. We might get 35%-50% off each new tire.

You say, well that isn't a bad deal. Well, it is. Add in the cost of valve steams, mount, balance, road hazard per tire, and your paying a lot of money when your tires should have last another two years.

By the way, my wife drives very reasonable. She doesn't take turns very fast and doesn't speed nor stop abruptly.

The tires are Douglas brand. Steer clear of this manufacturer, unless you like to have problems.
Perhaps you should have taken the time to read the warranty before you bought the tires. If you disagree with the proration then shouldn't have bought them.

Of course with that as a basis of purchase you'd have to drive on rims...

Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,080,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
You get what you pay for - go with Michelin if you can afford it.
Michelin is just a name.I have Michelins on my truck and I'm sorry I bought them.These tires have about 30k on them and they look bad.I've done all the rotations and had the alignment checks.I spent roughly 1k on these tires and I will never by Michelin again.Rough ride as well.

If all I'm going to get is 30k out of a tire,I might as well buy cheap ones.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:14 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
Pro-rating is normal and at 40,000 miles would be 50% and thats not to bad, they are not going to give you a 40,000 mile tire for free because yours was a 80,000 mile tire.
40,000 is good wear I'm lucky to get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive