Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:51 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times

Advertisements

I would gladly own a classic...if I had the money for it

If anybody wants to donate me a 70 mustang or a 72 chevelle, I'd gladly accept the "donation" hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 05:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I never really have seen young driving classic cars. Even when I was a teen in 62-65 with driver license. The 57 wasn't a classic. It grew to be but then it was a 500 dollar car a teen working could take and make a rod. besides they rarely have a drag now days or do they even know what that is or can afford the gas now.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:17 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
My brother's 68 Mustang was his daily driver from 1980 to 2004...

I drive a 91 Silverado Flair Side that people often ask if I would sell.

As for a gas mileage...

My 1938 Bantam 60 was advertised as 60 mpg and 60 mph...
Attached Thumbnails
Young people today aren't into classics much anymore?-38-bantam-33-american-austin-jacklyn.jpg  

Old 11-17-2014, 07:05 PM

635 posts, read 783,604 times
A lot of it has to do with money. Insurance also.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
A lot of it does have to do with money and insurance, definitely. My son loves the older stuff, both to drive it and to repair it. He also loves getting a great deal.

His latest find, for $100 in a barn nearby (maybe not "classic" in the sense of many of the cars listed here, but definitely one of a kind LOL):
Attached Thumbnails
Young people today aren't into classics much anymore?-img_0679.jpg  

Old 11-17-2014, 10:41 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
I'm in my 40s now and grew up wrenching on muscle cars with my older brother and his friends. My dad sold Chryslers so it was a given that I would have cars in my blood.

I have a toddler son now and he loves sitting on my lap while I back the (modern) Hemi Charger out of the garage. Hopefully he'll catch the bug too. I won't be disappointed if he doesn't, though. He can make his own choices.

Mecum is coming to my town next month and I'm considering going. My wife would kill me if a mid-year Vette followed me home. It's an investment, honey! She's a bit of a gear head too, she was an only child to a dad that was a mechanic. We discussed buying a mid-year vs. a C7 just last night. She wants the C7 and if we didn't have little kids she'd already have one.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:28 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
The auto industry has become so complacent and boring as of late. I even miss the days when Honda Accords, Acura Integras, Toyota Supra's, Nissan Skyline was all the roar back in the 90's.

The import tuner scene exploded. Kids were wrenching on their civic hatchbacks and accords as it was some sort of muscle car.

The Japanese were making great cars that offered unique performance out of such small engines. The tuner scene from the early to mid 2000's has slowly died down today. Street racing used to be really big out here in SoCal, but when the cops started impounding peoples rides after the first offense in illegal street racing, it stopped a lot of the tuner crowds from gathering together on Friday-Sat nights doing 1 on 1's on long straight aways in cities like L.A. and San Diego. Racing on the streets became that much harder, and more risky than ever before.

The mid-size and small econo size car segment aren't as interesting as they once were. The new American muscle cars are still going strong and are better than ever IMO compared to 20 years ago. But that's all we have now. The Japanese have become much too conservative and have lost their innovation and excitement. The Integra and Supra have long been gone, and if only Honda and Toyota offered a model that can excite young people again like they both did with those models, it might spark new interest from Ford, GM and Chrysler to come out with a car that can directly compete with the small 2 door coupes.

The redevelopment of many heavily dense urban areas in cities across this country the past 10-20 years has lead to a lot more young people moving back into the city core from their suburban homes where everything is much more accessible which doesn't require a car to get around in. They bike or walk everywhere.

The interest of owning a vehicle is less important, of course it doesn't help matters when every car on the road looks the same, and doesn't command any attention.

Like I said in previous posts, I never grew up around any of the cars that I am into now. I believe a lot has to do to the fact that I like artistic machinery. Even down to an old 1950's-70's Blenders, refrigerators and toasters, they all looked so cool with the metal chrome and unique shapes that they were works of art by themselves. High quality appliances at that too.

Old 19th century houses, and Victorian style homes are also another example of my interest for the old stuff. I might be an old soul in a young body, who knows, but one things for sure, I think I have good taste in the classics, I'm not really into high performance muscle cars, vintage european makes, and racing imports, although I respect them tremendously for what they are and like to check em out at car shows. But If ever had to go to a fancy hotel in downtown L.A. or NYC, I think a 64 Cadillac or a 78 Lincoln Continental would definitely make a statement of a "Classy introduction" that would even make the man in his Rolls Royce Phantom become an instant hater.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:17 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
I was born in 1955 I'm from Detroit the motor city. I grew up around cars. Everyone I new had at least 2 or more cars. My father worked for GM, I worked at chrysler fo a while. Had friends that worked at ford. Classic cars were all around me. Every year in August there is the Woodward dream cruise, the largest cruise and classic car show in the world. There you have people from all over the world come to see the cars. All the big3 have displays there of cars of the past to what you drive today. NASCAR is there. Along with your auto parts suppliers like Boash, Johnson Controlls, TRW. So I live and sleep cars. I can't even count the number of cars and trucks I have owned, I know it's over 50. Chrysler was the one that started the new look with starting off with the PT cruiser, then the prowler, and the crossfire. Then GM tried with the SSR, and the HHR. Then Ford with the 2 sweater thunderbird it was built at their Lincoln plant in Wixom mi. But Chrysler was the only one that was successful with the PT Cruiser.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:21 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
The answer to the question. What is the average age on this forum? If you like muscle cars, i.e. classics, you are 50+ at least. Young people don’t relate to those cars any more than I relate to 1940s Studebaker.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:14 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
For younger folks, 80s or 90s cars could be considered "classics".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive