Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:56 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If just one person is injured by this event, that is one to many, when it could all be avoided by simply removing the system.
I replaced the word airbag with vaccines and LOL'd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 08:10 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
A Japanese company has been manufacturing faulty airbags. What an opportunity for American manufacturers. Frankly, the opportunity to make the most effective airbags in the world has been on the table for quite some time, and American manufacturers haven't taken the lead. Damn shame. Fat chance that this historically pathetic Congress will do anything useful since their only purpose is to protect the rich and oppose the common sense and superior sense that defines our great President Obama.

I support keeping airbags. They still have to be perfected, but they are better than not having them.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:08 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Wouldn't have to go that far back. He could find a car from the 80s without airbag(s)
Pickups/suvs as new as 93 don't have them either, at least in america, they always got standard equipment a year or two after cars did, by 95 for air bags, by 91 or 2 for CHMSL's, mid to late 90's for 4wheel ABS, when prior to that it was no abs, or rear abs optional.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:40 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
People need to think before lambasting technology they don't properly understand. It's like critics of autonomous driving who claim it shouldn't exist because of the lives that will be lost when the computer crashes or makes an error. Will there be deaths due to glitches (particularly first generation tech)? Absolutely. Will they be greatly offset by the number of lives saved due to autonomous driving tech? Without a doubt.
So... you are willing to give YOUR live for this experiment? Because I don't see it working for a long time to come.
How wil a car behave in snow, ice and so on. They say, that is when the driver has to drive, but oh boy, he, or she, has never actual driven a car.......

Old 11-21-2014, 10:24 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
For every person you manage to convince to send a letter supporting the elimination of airbags I'll find a hundred more who will send a letter advocating for the opposite. Airbags are good for society and have saved countless lives since their mainstream implementation. While I'm certainly concerned about the Takata issue and demand that it be corrected the fact remains is that this is a quality control issue rather than an inherent problem with airbags.
Exactly.

Head on collision in 2009, airbags deployed. My passenger had very slight seat belt bruising, likely worse without an airbag. My glasses were slightly bent and I had a scratch on my nose from the nosepad. Nothing a few seconds of fiddling with couldn't fix. The car... well, it didn't fare so well.

The only person in the accident who was seriously hurt was not wearing a seat belt. Sadly, that person was ejected and died. You'll find plenty of people who don't trust seat belts as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive