Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:11 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,342,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I came across this interesting ad on craigslist:
2012 AUDI A4 2.0T PREMIUM PLUS

The price itself is very good for year/mileage and it's still (barely) under warranty. The wording about it coming off auction is a bit strange though. Has anyone heard of Instacar? Anything to look out for with these types of ads? I've seen this guy post many car ads lately in my area with similar wording. Is this a scam?
Curbing cars is usually illegal in most places. I know one lady whose "hex" feeds her cars to curb.
Usually you're allowed six cars a year, but if you use your wife, son, daughter, and hamster to
list the cars name in it's easy to get around.

She plays the "I don't know anything about cars, I'm blonde" game and she gets nice, hard to
find cars (like Audi's) that appeal to young, hip, and in people, who really don't know anything
about cars. Pulls pretty good income; probably a replacement for alimony was the deal!!

She also has a lot of people show up that are themselves pro curbers and they're tough on
negotiation. After all, they're been trading for 6,000 years. So there is nothing wrong per se
about buying a car like this: have it checked out and be ready that these guys are pretty
good at manipulative sales. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 09:06 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,688,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
This could not be further from the truth. Dealers make more money on used cars than on new ones so there has to be something wrong with a two year old car being wholesaled or sent to the auction instead of being put on the front line.

Are you a dealer to make a statement like that ? The fact is, new car dealers see trade ins as a pain in the butt. That car is generally being traded in for a reason (some defects) and if the dealer keeps that car they either have to fix those defects or live with the headaches they create. Selling a brand new car is a clean deal and the dealer makes money on the back end on things like financing and service.

The other problem is financing. Lending institutions don't want to loan money on cars over a certain age (like 5 years, sometimes 3) so, unless a potential buyer can come up with cash to buy a used car they have a hard time financing it.

The days of you trading in your used car and seeing it on the lot the next day for sale are long gone. Those cars are blown out., usually the same day.
Don

Old 11-22-2014, 09:58 AM

3,422 posts, read 3,311,587 times
It was either traded in at a dealer or was a repossessed vehicle. As others said, a high number of used cars have been thru the auction houses.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:22 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,395,653 times
In 2005 we bought a 2000 Toyota 4-Runner from a dealer that had been a lease car. I assume that the dealer bought it at auction. It had 55,000 miles on it. We still have it 9 years later and it has 180,000 miles on it. All we have done to it is change the timing belt and water pump like the manual said and I did that myself. We intend to drive it until it just stops completely.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:29 PM

79,899 posts, read 43,855,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Are you a dealer to make a statement like that ? The fact is, new car dealers see trade ins as a pain in the butt. That car is generally being traded in for a reason (some defects) and if the dealer keeps that car they either have to fix those defects or live with the headaches they create. Selling a brand new car is a clean deal and the dealer makes money on the back end on things like financing and service.
They make that on used cars also, especially of their own brand.

Quote:
The other problem is financing. Lending institutions don't want to loan money on cars over a certain age (like 5 years, sometimes 3) so, unless a potential buyer can come up with cash to buy a used car they have a hard time financing it.
Nobody has any problem getting a loan on a 4 year old car (any more than on a new car)

Quote:
The days of you trading in your used car and seeing it on the lot the next day for sale are long gone. Those cars are blown out., usually the same day.
Don
New car dealers used car lots are simply a mirage? They aren't really there?

Old 11-22-2014, 03:18 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,342,073 times
Let's assume it's in perfect condition, no-salvage title etc...

A lot of used cars are sold at auction, probably more than half. Dealers buy them.

Maybe someone trades in a BMW for a Honda. The Honda dealer primarily wants used Hondas in stock, so the BMW will be sold at auction to other dealers.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:24 AM

11,026 posts, read 7,750,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
No, not a dealer but I spent twenty years working at a "Big Three" auto manufacturer analyzing dealer financial statements and assisting them in maximizing dealership profits. Selling financing on used cars is a huge profit center for dealers. What are your qualifications?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 10,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Half of all used cars sold are probably bought from an auction at some point.

It's not that unusual, really.. Lots of people buy cars at an auction for their used car lots. This is only a little unusual in that it's a person doing the transaction.

I'd be more worried about doing business through a Craigslist ad than the fact that the car was bought at an auction.
I think this is the right answer here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive