Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:40 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
In '73 Consumer Reports tested a Plymouth Valiant 225-6. Months later they also tested a Dodge Dart 318-V8.

The Dart was Canadian built, the Valiant was not

Both the Dart & Valiant were tested with optional extra cost sound insulation packages

Both were 4 door sedans

The Canadian built Dart offered impressive ride comfort for a compact (Darts often delivered impressive ride comfort even before '73, the '68 Dart actually rode better than the Cadillac Sedan De Ville under full load)

The Valiant rode no better than its competition

The Canadian built Dart also rated "fairly quiet", impressive for a compact. Some of its sound level readings were actually lower than many of the mid sized cars tested that same year

The Valiant with its sound package showed some improvement but it still rated "fairly noisy" as it always did in years past. These compacts were noted for their harsh ride and road noise

take a look at the differences:

quiet road at 30 mph; noisy road at 30 mph; highway at 60 mph, highway at 70 mph

Dart: 20; 35; 35; 41

Valiant: 25; 40; 42; 52

so is it being Canadian built that made the Dart a more comfortable rider or the Dodge nameplate or the extra weight (Valiant-3100 lbs, Dart 3300 lbs)?
And just what objective measurement was used to determine these ride ratings?

Comparing two different designs and acting as if their countries of manufacture made them different rather than their design differences seems pretty damn silly to me.

Or was the intent here to knock American labor and not to compare vehicles at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 11:44 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
i wasn't ACTING AS IF, i was ASKING IF

don't jump to conclusions

you sound like a real paranoid AH

Old 11-25-2014, 07:52 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,211,967 times
I haven't been on these boards since July, but I always find them interesting readings as a fan old the classic cars.

Since they are basically the same cars, I would say the difference was due to the engines. I would guess if the Valiant had the V8, it would have been quieter, but I don't know? lol.

Speaking of Valiants, I found a '72 Valiant Custom 4dr for sale that I had kind of considered buying, but not sure if I want to shell out $3800 though. lol. This one is a fairly nice optioned model with the Custom option (note the wood-grain on the door panels).

Old 11-25-2014, 09:00 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Are you posting this because you think they are moving it to Michigan because the quality of Canadian built vehicles are inferior to American made vehicles, or because GM is consolidating all their RWD platforms under one roof?

(Hint: It isn't because of quality)
That's funny but did you know that most parts for the assembly plants in Canada come from the USA . I know Chrysler sends many parts from their stearling hgts. Mi stamping plant. And engines from their Trenton Mi. engine plant. So I guess the UAW is just as good as the old caw. You should see the big3 semi trucks delivering UAW parts and American supplier parts to Canada.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:36 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,480 times
I can say this. Of the Maverick's I have bought over the years (17 of 'em), the Canadian built ones were always in worse shape than the Kansas City plant ones. And my 75 LTD also did not measure up to my 73 and two 78 LTD's which were built in the Twin Cities Plant. So I can say after 30 years, no the Canadian built cars were not better then the US built ones. At least mine weren't.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,448,725 times
Vannort54.

Actually, if you were to stand on the Ambassador Bridge, and watch the truck traffic, you would see that the flow goes BOTH ways, with parts suppliers in Canada building for the US, and US plants building for the Canadian plants.

I used to be a owner operator with a expedite fright company based in Ontario. Much of our cargo was emergency runs `of parts to a plant that was about to run out of a certain item, which would `shut down the line `. Get it there, asap.

I once took a load of two skids of ashtrays, from Toronto, to a BMW plant in Alabama. I had 20 hours to get it there. Paid me 3 dollars a mile, as a special `hot shot `rate. I was driving Ford E 350 van, not a 18 wheeler.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:33 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Vannort54.

Actually, if you were to stand on the Ambassador Bridge, and watch the truck traffic, you would see that the flow goes BOTH ways, with parts suppliers in Canada building for the US, and US plants building for the Canadian plants.

I used to be a owner operator with a expedite fright company based in Ontario. Much of our cargo was emergency runs `of parts to a plant that was about to run out of a certain item, which would `shut down the line `. Get it there, asap.

I once took a load of two skids of ashtrays, from Toronto, to a BMW plant in Alabama. I had 20 hours to get it there. Paid me 3 dollars a mile, as a special `hot shot `rate. I was driving Ford E 350 van, not a 18 wheeler.

Jim B. In Toronto.
You are correct just go's to say that all the big3 cars and trucks regardless of UAW or caw making them they are all the same now days. They both use parts from both country's and use the same assembly procedures.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
hey tennesee good 2 see you back. our 71 Duster had those deluxe seats and armrest in green but no woodgrain. not like my grandfathers Duster which had the most plain jane seats you could imagine. they were so plain i covered them with sheepskin like seat covers to improve the appearance

our Duster also had a nice carpeting and actually came thru with a Dodge emblem on the horn pad instead of a Plymouth

Old 11-30-2014, 05:23 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
I can believe the Canadians made a really good car. Hockey and beer on the weekend, great cars during the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive