Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 03:51 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The local Subaru dealer wants $450 to change one O2 sensor. Here is the break down. $100 just to read the code, $250 for the sensor itself and $100 for labor. This is my son’s car and he needed it done so I gave them the go ahead. It’s been a while since I have been to a dealer. Their charges are off the charts. The sensor is just $50 online. That diagnostic charge is the biggest a rip off. I can do it at home in 2 minutes.
Is the $50 sensor the same as the $250 sensor? The $50 is most likely aftermarket while the $250 is OEM.

Dealers typically charge more than your independent shops and the dealers have high overhead so that's why they charge more. Diagnosing problems aren't a rip off, it's either that or you go replacing parts and hope to fix the problem.

This might also be a good chance for your son to start learning basic maintenance and repairs, that's how I got started. O2 sensors are not difficult to do. A few hundred $ in tools can save him thousands over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 04:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Is the $50 sensor the same as the $250 sensor? The $50 is most likely aftermarket while the $250 is OEM.

Dealers typically charge more than your independent shops and the dealers have high overhead so that's why they charge more. Diagnosing problems aren't a rip off, it's either that or you go replacing parts and hope to fix the problem.

This might also be a good chance for your son to start learning basic maintenance and repairs, that's how I got started. O2 sensors are not difficult to do. A few hundred $ in tools can save him thousands over the years.
Like I already stated a Subaru OEM O2 sensor cannot cost $250.

There really isn't much of a diagnostic, the cars computer tells you that it is a bad O2 sensor and which one is it. There is no "replacing parts and hope to fix the problem". It is a straightforward repair.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:58 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
I had a minor surgical procedure on my right eye and the charges were less than that. Only took 30 minutes. That amount is a complete rip off. You could probably go to an independent mechanic for less than half of that. Last O2 sensor I replaced was on a CRV and I bought it on line. It only took about 30 minutes to replace and the cost was around $85 for the sensor. The auto parts place quoted $200 for the part. They are easy to replace as long as you can access them.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Come to think of it, mine is Bosch on a Toyota from the dealer? I guess Denso didn't make it for that year/model so yeah OEM cheaper price sure!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:48 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
We don't expect dentists or doctors to give us a "free" diagnostic why should car shops be any different?

It basically boils down to lack of respect for the trades, too cheap and the idea that having a look at your car is just that. I mean never mind the insurance, tools, the light bill, the warranty etc.

I'm always reminded as to why I bailed out on being a tech. The lack of respect and the idea that a repair is nothing more than a price point purchase that can be compared to a price you saw on line.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:50 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
This is why local shops are always better than dealers. The only times I ever went to the dealer is when I had no other choice or had a warranty.

My mechanic would have charged the cost of the part + whatever markup he has which isn't too bad, + $70 an hour. Would have cost me total less than $200.

Developing a trust relationship with a mechanic is worth its weight in gold.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:03 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Like I already stated a Subaru OEM O2 sensor cannot cost $250.
Never said it was $250.. however, with markup.. I can see that.. Just randomly went to rockauto.com, pulled up a 2006 Subaru Forester 4 cyl turbocharged, the Delphi upstream O2 sensor is $203.79

If that sensor costs $200 from rockauto, by the time you figure in markup that the dealer puts in.. $250 isn't out of the question.

So.. "CAN!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
We don't expect dentists or doctors to give us a "free" diagnostic why should car shops be any different?
I don't expect a doctor or dentist to charge me $100 to read what a computer says is wrong with me, though.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:19 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
UPDATE

The final bill was $437. It turned out that changing the O2 sensor was not a 10 minute job after all. They said the thing was screwed in the catalytic converter and would not budge, rust and all. In the process they damaged the converter and had to change the converter itself at no charge. That thing is close to a $1000 I think. That’s one advantage the dealer has that my corner shop doesn’t. We either would have had to agree to pay for a new converter or take back the car at great convenience. Somebody asked if they would roll the diagnostic charge into the bill if I got it fixed there. The answer is no. I asked them if my water pump was leaking and you could see it, would you still charge me for “diagnosis”? He said no, but I am not so sure.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:22 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

My mechanic would have charged the cost of the part + whatever markup he has which isn't too bad, + $70 an hour. Would have cost me total less than $200.
That’s what I thought until they told me about the stuck O2 sensor I explained above. What would your corner mechanic do in this case?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
my honda had the check engine line come on and the dealer had a 100.00 charge also. The service advisor however had them remove the charge for me. Maybe because I do repairs there, but most car places will read the code for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive