Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:26 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XX View Post
Who owns a sports car and never "floors" it. That's weird.

Might wanna trade that thing in for a family van
Lots of them out there.......I know a guy with 1100 miles on a 1984 Corvette. He bought it brand new and parked it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 05:57 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
On my first car there were holes in the floor so I had to floor it. I think I used plywood.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:21 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Floor it to engage passing gear on a auto trans. People baby their cars to much they go and buy these nice 4x4 trucks to be cool but will never take them off road to go in the mud or go on the trails, they are a bunch of 4x4 want a be. And people get these sports cars but will never take them to the track and open them up. You have to open them up now and then to blow out carbon buildup. If they were not ment to be floored why would they have a high output motor. Stop pretending to be a race car driver, you bought it drive it the way it was ment to be driven.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:39 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Just a couple times, for a couple seconds only.

My car scares the **** out of me when I floor it. And it's just a Honda Accord.
Yeah, I had a rental Camry and even with the 4 cyl the car is not well balanced. Flooring it was not what I'd consider scary so much as unsettling. These fwd family cars seem to be designed so that any kind of aggressive input will send a message "whoa, buddy you're driving a Camry, dial it back a bit".

Bad weight balance, torque steer, poorly gripping tires, among other shortcomings make accords and camrys completely unsuitable for spirited driving.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:54 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
The 4 cyl with the CVT automatic trans.
I had assumed you had the V-6, but even your 4 cylinder Altima has more horsepower and less weight than my 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WD 4 cylinder. I floored it yesterday in order to merge safely onto a crowded freeway.

The quickest car I have owned was a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am with the quad four. Even then, the optional V-6 had a much broader powerband. The Tacoma seems to be adequate, but the Grand Am was the only car I have ever owned where I did not occasionally have the throttle wide open while saying "Scotty, I need more power!"

Old 11-28-2014, 08:04 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You do realize that Olds 403 only had 185 HP in 1977 right?
Those were sad days. My parents had a 1970 Chevrolet Impala with the 2 barrel regular gas small block 400. By comparing it to the engines in a 1970 Chevrolet Pickup brochure, which listed both gross and net horsepower, I am going to estimate it had 210 net horsepower and 350 net lb ft of torque.

In addition to only 185 horsepower, the Olds 403 had only 320 lb ft of torque. The Olds was fast for its time; but those were bad times. Now we have minivans that are faster than the muscle cars of the 1960s.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:49 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
My car makes 197HP, and I live at 7,000 feet. With elevation and drive train loss, I'm maybe making 130 at the wheels.

On-ramps here are short, and traffic is usually doing about 80 mph on the freeway. So yes, I floor it every time I need to merge on, so I can get up to speed.

(Side rant: if you're one of those drivers who thinks it's acceptable to merge into 80mph traffic at 40mph, you need to get off the road).

Old 11-28-2014, 09:24 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
I do so with every single vehicle I have ever owned except for my truck at the moment. I will get around to it eventually.

Theres a huge straightaway about 80 miles east of me that I can do this on. I do it and sustain it.
One exception-the VW van began going all over the road at 80 mph. pretty sure it was tapped out....but it got too dangerous.

The Corvetted ZR-1 that was modified for racing and souped up....was scary as all heck! 183 or 187 mph, I honestly dont recall. the new ones can go faster then this stock apparently...but this was some time ago. It took it well unlike the VW lol.

My 2003 buick lesabre hits 105 mph.

My really old oldsmobile cutlass supreme could hit over 120 mph.

And...my Datsun B210 could hit 85...barely.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:23 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I honestly can't tell if you are trolling us.

Not putting the pedal to the floor through the floor in every gear in a Corvette...

Is like taking home the hottest girl (or guy) at the bar to talk politics.
No, I honestly am not trolling. I've never needed to with either car. Half throttle is more than enough.

To correct an earlier post, comparing an engine to a muscle is ridiculous. The engine won't get stronger by challenging it.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:56 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
To correct an earlier post, comparing an engine to a muscle is ridiculous. The engine won't get stronger by challenging it.
...Except that you're not correcting anything. Flooring an engine is beneficial in two main ways. The first is that by going WOT, you are able to clean out the exhaust system. You know how when you first start a car and you see water dripping out of the exhaust? That causes rust, which builds up inside your exhaust system. If all you ever did was just gently accelerate, those deposits in the exhaust build up over the years, clogging your catalytic converter, and making your car less efficient.

Two, there are many engine builders (both factory and commercial) who believe that the best way to seat rings in a new engine is to hammer on it, instead of gently breaking the engine in over the course of several thousand miles. I've seen this firsthand, an engine that was hammered on shows better compression readings than one that was babied out of the gate.

So, flooring a car IS good for it from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive