Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 12:07 PM

268 posts, read 1,133,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I tried the fee calculator. Did you notice that even if you change the date first operated in CA that the fee was calculated from today? If I'm figuring right that is under the 120 days, try the calculator around Christmas, may get another result.
I tried with different combination but no luck. It's really confusing. Do you have any reference for that 120 days thing? I searched in DMV site, but didn't find any reference. Thanks again jeffrow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Don't they charge a fee if it doesn't meet California emissions now per year once a resident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
If you move to California as a permanent resident you must register the vehicle in California within x number of days, I believe it's 10 days. If you have a mailing address or employment in California you are a permanent resident. Same goes for drivers license, you must get Calif drivers license if you are a permanent resident. You are not a permanent resident if you are here temporary as a student or military.
You can get away with an out of state plate until stopped by an officer and they find out you live and work in California, then you get to pay a fine and register your vehicle. Do you feel lucky??
Bringing in out of state vehicle into California. What you need to know about buying a car from out of state - SmogTips.com. Moving to California and the smog check. How to register your out of state vehicle in California, smog inspection and insuran
Hey texdav & Nayabone, thanks for your responses and the link. I do not mind to register my car as soon as I move to California. But I'm confused about the sales tax thing. Do you know anything about that? That would be really helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 11:29 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
You can avoid paying the sales/use tax if you register it 12+ months from purchase date.
If you plug into the fee calculator the first use date of Aug 19, 2015, you'll see that reflected properly.

FAQ - Use Tax Exemptions or Exclusions - Board of Equalization

Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You can avoid paying the sales/use tax if you register it 12+ months from purchase date.
If you plug into the fee calculator the first use date of Aug 19, 2015, you'll see that reflected properly.

FAQ - Use Tax Exemptions or Exclusions - Board of Equalization
Thanks Jaypee, I also think so. By any chance, do you know how much amount will be considered for that sales tax? The original price of my new car or the price after trade-in?

Old 12-01-2014, 11:40 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoder View Post
Thanks Jaypee, I also think so. By any chance, do you know how much amount will be considered for that sales tax? The original price of my new car or the price after trade-in?

In CA, it's the sold price. Yes, it sucks. They even tax you when you buy a used car from a private party.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:46 AM

Oh, no! Then it totally sucks.

My car's original price was around $38K, I did trade-in for $20K. So I paid sales tax for the rest of the amount $18K which makes sense. Now I have to pay sales tax (3%+) for the whole amount $38K again which will certain go more than $2K+!!! I wish I knew that early!!!!

Last edited by deadcoder; 12-01-2014 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: removed

Old 12-01-2014, 11:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Why don't you ask the CA DMV? What you're getting here are opinions, nothing that will help you if the decision you make based on the information proves to be wrong.

When it comes to things like this, definitive information is always available, just as easy as posting a question on an internet forum. Are you willing to risk incurring the consequences because someone told you something on the Internet? Think about it.

The CA DMV has a website, the information you need is right there and if you can't find it, a telephone call will get it for you and then instead of all the opinions and guessing you'll know exactly what to do and how to do it.

Of course, if you are trying to evade taxes that should be paid, that is a felony and why anyone would talk about it here is rather strange. There are legal ways to avoid taxes but that information too, is available from official sources and not people you don't know who hang around forums.

I've been in the same situation as you but why would I tell you something that might have changed or just worked for me when the right thing to do is point you to the source.

Here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...es/howto/htvr9

Read the information from the official source, everything you need to know is contained right there. if you can't understand it, you can call them and they will explain it. You might be on hold for a while but so goes.

Here is the most important thing: you can read links from various people who think they know or claim they know, how to sites and so on but ask yourself this one question:

If something goes wrong, will anyone who gave you their opinion or guess be willing to pay for any taxes or penalties that get imposed on you? If the answer is no, those opinions and guesses aren't worth the bandwidth it takes to read them.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Why don't you ask the CA DMV? What you're getting here are opinions, nothing that will help you if the decision you make based on the information proves to be wrong.

When it comes to things like this, definitive information is always available, just as easy as posting a question on an internet forum. Are you willing to risk incurring the consequences because someone told you something on the Internet? Think about it.

The CA DMV has a website, the information you need is right there and if you can't find it, a telephone call will get it for you and then instead of all the opinions and guessing you'll know exactly what to do and how to do it.

Of course, if you are trying to evade taxes that should be paid, that is a felony and why anyone would talk about it here is rather strange. There are legal ways to avoid taxes but that information too, is available from official sources and not people you don't know who hang around forums.

I've been in the same situation as you but why would I tell you something that might have changed or just worked for me when the right thing to do is point you to the source.

Here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...es/howto/htvr9

Read the information from the official source, everything you need to know is contained right there. if you can't understand it, you can call them and they will explain it. You might be on hold for a while but so goes.

Here is the most important thing: you can read links from various people who think they know or claim they know, how to sites and so on but ask yourself this one question:

If something goes wrong, will anyone who gave you their opinion or guess be willing to pay for any taxes or penalties that get imposed on you? If the answer is no, those opinions and guesses aren't worth the bandwidth it takes to read them.
I totally agree with you Mack Knife. I will also give them a call and hope I will get some more information from them.

By the way, when I asked for a possible way to avoid that tax, I wasn't looking for any illegal way. What I meant was, sometimes moving the date further or any millage change might change the whole scenario for replaying the auto sales tax again. Example: If someone bough a car in January 2014 and planning to relocate to CA in January 2015, if he/she moves her relocation to February 2015, he/she could avoid the sales tax as it will cross 12 months. So I was looking for that kind of info which can be used for my case. But looks like there is no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive