Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 12:13 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Thanks Parsec!

I just called my mechanic and he told me that I should do a transmission flush in which they change the complete oil. He said unless my transmission has been giving me issues it is SAFE to do a transmission flush.
Of course your mechanic will tell you it's safe. He already paid thousands of dollars for the machine so it's a sunk cost and reduces the amount of labor. You're not going to see the damage it caused until it's too late, and by then that same mechanic will chalk it up to it being an old vehicle. A Honda dealer wouldn't use that machine, so I wouldn't trust any shop that still uses that type of machine. Here's a good explanation of a transmission flush vs transmission fluid change:
Transmission Flush and Fluid Change Information

The Honda factory service manual (the really thick repair manual, not the owner's manual) specifically says to drain and fill 3 times and NOT to flush it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 12:48 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
i personally have grown to like the maintenance systems on the newer Hondas. We've had Hondas off and on since the 80's, and i cant count the # of times in the past that we'd roll into the dealer for an oil change to be hit with the "well let me show you what is all recommended at this mileage" (often with the dealers adding what they'd do not just what the manual stated).

This summer, after making 3 trips between SC and WI in our moving, I took our 11 crv to the dealer for an oil change. Best part, was even though i had 38k miles on it, not one peep about other services needed. That would not have been the case in the "old days" lol

I have no trouble doing whatever is needed on a vehicle, based on what the systems show, how I drive it, climate, etc but to not have dealers or mechanics come to me with a laundry list of services is a positive....

Old 12-01-2014, 01:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Quote:
Why do people post stuff like this? Honda does NOT specify a mileage interval of 5000 for oil changes.
Because it comes right out of Honda's database for her year model Accord. But then, I'm sure you know more about Hondas than Honda.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:23 PM

925 posts, read 4,710,192 times
Mack Knife,

The manual does not say anything about when to change the transmission fluid. It simply says the maintenance minder will display a number and that number means to change your transmission fluid. I never saw that number or maybe I ignored it and then the rest happened and then I never saw the number again.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:33 PM

925 posts, read 4,710,192 times
I just called my Honda dealer and asked them. They told me for Honda Accord 2008 you should do DRAIN AND FILL every 30K miles. I told them my car has 72K miles on it and I have not done DRAIN AND FILL. They told me if the car is having transmission issues. I said NO.

They told me to do DRAIN AND FILL 2-3 times a year and then do a FLUSH.

The DRAIN and FILL is $60
FLUSH is $180 <--- Not recommended right now

So according to Honda Dealer I should only do DRAIN and FILL right now which is cheaper than what my mechanic was asking.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
It depends on the fluid itself. Two cars with same mileage exactly alike can have difference in fluids. Heat is the enemy of transmission fluids.Not required but you pay the price if its overheated; later. A good mechanic can smell if you have.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:35 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
All I know is my Lexus has "lifetime" fluid. They don't recommend it to ever be changed. Of course I'm going to change it at 100K

Old 12-01-2014, 02:52 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Because it comes right out of Honda's database for her year model Accord. But then, I'm sure you know more about Hondas than Honda.
What database are you talking about?

I have not seen anything written that says oil changes are 5,000 miles. The owners manual is very clear. The MM will not call for an oil change at 5,000 miles unless some unusual driving conditions occur.

Honda also has a very easy to use maintenance schedule online. Enter the year and model of the car and it tells you what the maintenance schedule is. Do you think Honda has a different, secret, maintenance schedule database?

http://owners.honda.com/service-main...n#mid^CP2638EW

Old 12-01-2014, 03:25 PM

276 posts, read 338,230 times
I'd find a new mechanic. Interview mechanics and ask how often then recommend oil changes for your car. Skip over any that say every 3000 miles. When you find one that goes by what the manufacturer recommends for your car, you've found a mechanic that's less likely to cheat you.

Personally, I use facts to determine my oil change interval. I send an oil sample off to Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/) and have it analyzed for ~$30. Like getting a blood test, the results come back with engine (or transmission) ware data and recommendations for future change intervals. Since it's based on YOUR individual vehicle, it provides pinpoint advice.
Most wouldn't spend the cost of an oil change on a test and then do the oil change anyway, but I'm a data geek.

My last oil change was at 7,000 mi. interval, my next one was recommended at 8,500 mi. interval. Well beyond the 3,000 that Jiffy Lube and the like want, and more that 50% beyond what the manufacturer recommends. Mind you, these are results for MY car (4.7L Toyota). Yours may be different.
Even BMW recommends changes at 15,000 mi. but Jiffy Lube will still stick a 3,000 mile sticker in the window.

P.S. If you find a good honest mechanic he's not making much money by taking advantage of people so consider buying him a bottle of Scotch for Christmas!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:20 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Doesnt the owners manual have a times and mileage chart for scheduled maintenance?
I'd go by that rather some electronic gizmo or a mechanic trying to make a buck.
^^^this^^^

Sometimes I feel like there's no hope for future generations as everyone is now being trained to be retarded. Electronic gizmos that don't actually measure the wear or condition of hardware or fluids are a joke. Mechanics who just make judgement calls based upon what they are told online (versus a real inspection). *sigh*

Honestly, none of this stuff is rocket science, and even rocket science is doable with some knowledge of math and physics. Why in hell are people becoming so clueless as to believe that their mechanics are somehow trustworthy authority figures looking out for the consumer's self interest vs actually just paid employees of a Garage with a continued job only if they meet particular financial targets on an ongoing basis?

Don't people get it, that mechanics refer to the same manuals, schedule-guides and instructions available to the rest of us and other than having more practice doing their thing, they aren't super human repair people with mystical insight regarding what needs to be done, when and how.

Question everything folks; if for no other reason than that you are just as smart as the people you are hiring to do work for you! Question what the "maintenance minder" actually does vs what it sounds like it does s well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive